• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Amps that sound like no others.

alaskagrown

Great thread... I was just talking about this with my bandmates the other night. It seems a vast majority of amps are either Marshall-ish, Fender-ish or Boogie-ish, with Hiwatt, Orange/Matamp, Ampeg, and some newer boutique stuff being the exception.

I'm looking for something different... Loud and different. I'm leaning towards a CAA OD-100 or VHT, but I can't play before I buy and I haven't found any clips representing what I would do to them. Do they have a unique voice?

MoRawk

Juke 1210

:cool:
Hi Jeff,

What a coincidence in that I was just talking to Gary a few days ago about purchasing a Juke 112. The few clips that I've heard of the Juke 1210s sound incredible and unique. The reverb, vibrato and trem are of a quality I've never heard before.

I've just been trigger-shy on committing on the amp because I've not been able to find out any information on the Juke 112 in the 6V6 version. I'm looking for a low wattage option for home use and light jamming with friends. With 6V6s I'd be at 18 watts pentode/8 watts triode. Still too loud for home so I'd still need some attenuation and pedals for overdriven tones. Can I ask how the overdriven tones are for you? It's billed as a non-distorting amp but I could hear some overdrive on the clips. Do you have to literally crank to full to get overdriven tones?

Heinz W

Genuine '66 Relic
Platinum Supporting Member
The Swart Super Space Tone definitely has it's own (exceptional) voice.

My amp GAS is completely cured.

majorledhead

Silver Supporting Member
My Marlboro Box Smokey Amp with the 2" speaker. Nothing else sounds like it. The other little amps just don't have the Fuzz like it. Now with the other great amps listed in this post; Doesn't the flavor and tone change depending on what tubes and/or speakers your running? The " Own Tone " thing must be infinite.

theBruce

Now this is what I call a guitar amp thread.

+1 Orange Rockerverbs, my RV50 gives me shivers, and nothing sounds even remotely close. I can, and do, get lost in this amp's spell. If I ever meet Ade Emsley in person, he has a cold beer coming to him.

+1 Mesa Rectos, my solo 50 is literally the bomb, complete with slab-cracking detonation. No description needed here, we hear these amps every time we turn on the radio.

+1 Randall RG series, my RG100 is the only SS amp I've ever kept, a metallurgist's hallucination. The chorus alone is worth the cost of the amp, and it's over-the-top hair is ready for tomorrow's metal.

I also have another to add which hasn't been mentioned yet - The Mesa rocket 44. Inimitable and addictive solo tone. The 4xEL84 power section
howls like a wolf in a snap trap.

Gotta say again, great thread.

localplayer

Two Rock custom reverb. its all in the touch and this one responds to the lightest differences. simply amazing

zombywoof

Virtually all Magnatone amps (incredible headroom and that patented Maggie vibrato)

Narrow Panel Fender Twin - the circuit that launched a thousand copies

Flux

Great thread... I was just talking about this with my bandmates the other night. It seems a vast majority of amps are either Marshall-ish, Fender-ish or Boogie-ish, with Hiwatt, Orange/Matamp, Ampeg, and some newer boutique stuff being the exception.

I'm looking for something different... Loud and different. I'm leaning towards a CAA OD-100 or VHT, but I can't play before I buy and I haven't found any clips representing what I would do to them. Do they have a unique voice?
You forgot Vox-ish.

Don't know that I agree with some of the thread listings - I agree more with alaskagrown's comments, but:
+1 on the hybrids
MosValve
Valvetronix
Johnson, etc
Not all are great, but... cost effective headroom with valve warmth, probably see more of this type as inboard FX improve e.g. larger Valvetronix models are impressive and fun :AOK IMO despite their lack of more tubes.

vchizzle

I know they've been mentioned already but:

-Bad Cat Hot Cat
-almost anything in the VHT line. they really have their own voice and feel that people love or hate. haven't heard anyone duplicate that sound.

Ascension

Carvin Valvemasters and Series IV X100B's and my all time favorite amp the Bruce Zinky designed Fender Prosonic. The Prosonic is truely a unique amp with it's own feel and tones.

Ud Reks

Krank amps. They sound like ass. Oooops, I guess that disqualifies them from this thread. They sound like something else after all.

Boogs

Yamaha G100-115 - solid state workhorse amp sold with a mediocre speaker.

I played with one for years, and after I switched to tubes it took me a while to "get" the tube thing as far as cleans. Turns out its cleans were stellar even with the stock speaker, and it took me some time before I surpassed them. One of the chief clean tones that took the original sounds was the same amp with a Weber Chicago alnico 15". Another was a Champ clone (Valvetrain) real quiet, then a Richter Deluxe clone.

What a great clean amp, and damn..does it love my Barber Direct Drive pedal! Glad I never sold it!

That Weber Chicago alnico is one fine speaker with this amp. :)

58T

dr z maz 18 jr definitely not a marshall, more vox than anything when cranked and more fendery at low volumes. Great jazzy tone with some added reverb.
loved my budda twin master shouldve kept it
loved the gibson falcon, poor mans deluxe but with great smooth overdrive when dimed, shouldve kept that one.
never liked the mesa stuff much other than the late 70's mk1 with the graphic EQ, great sounding amp.

And oh yeah I would take any old marshall non master or Fender tweed thru BFace era along with a good set of ear plugs. Guys these are the sounds that created rock n roll. Everyone else followed in their footsteps......EVERYONE

iggs

Dr Z Route 66 ... unique front end, EF86 used differently then in other amps with pentode based front, original design, ultralinear power section ... pretty unique and definitely different.

Deuterium

I got one for ya...

I never have even heard the amp yet, but reading reviews and about teh features, and HC User Reviews (where they really do mention it)

Genz-Benz Diablo 60.

Several folks on HC mentioned things like "I thought I wanted a really original sound, but found out I am more of a "follow the pack" kind of guitarist", others mention a LOT that this amp is like no other, which can be disconcerting til you find your sound.
I actually own one. It definitely has its own thing going on. It is picky about pedals (even though it has more than enough built-in gain then I would ever need). I have always found (with no exception) that my best tones are found when an amp is just breaking-up...and then using an outboard OD pedal to push it over the edge. Invariably, I end up liking this set-up more than just pushing the amps own high gain abilities. And this is a general habit I do with all of my amps. Okay, maybe I'm just weird.

But back to the El Diablo 60-C. As I was already saying...this amp seems to be derided by so many. Certainly, on Harm Central it seems to be put down as much as your Kranks...although, I suspect the majority of the people who slam this amp have never played it, nor ever heard it played.

As for me, I love the El Diablo 60-C. I have a bunch of amps that I tend to cycle through, but the El Diablo is one of my favorites. I especially like setting it for the lower 30 Watt Triode mode.

It definitely has a unique voicing. It is not Marshally, nor is it Fendery (although it has some of the best Cleans I have ever heard). The active EQ on the amp may plays a big part in the tone shaping...and just a smidge of adjustment one way or the other radically changes the sound.

The best way I can characterize the El Diablo 60-C is that it is very, VERY mid-ranged voiced. It is EXCELLENT for single note lead/solo work, exactly because it has such a singing, liquid mid-range. I think this very fact scares off a lot of the Nu Metal and Death Metal wankers, who couldn't play a lead if their life depended on it. This is not a "Chugga, Chugga, Woof, Woof" amp. It is a throw back to the more Heavy Rock, Classic Metal of the mid 80's.

Cheers,
Deuterium

Trending Topics

Top Bottom