Amps- The Keepers

Britishampfan

Hi there, I would like know what amps you kept and will never ever sell, I have read about best and worst, how many, and brands.

What amps you kept and WHY? What is it good for? What does it do that nothing else will? Why is it special?

Pictures and sound-clips always welcome especially if it`s rare and obscure.:drool

katuna

Gold Supporting Member
Carr Imperial. I actually got a second one because I like mine so much and never want to be without one. I keep using the Imperial because it's my sound and they are very reliable and not noisy or rattley or anything (which is crazy considering that I drive the hell out of mine with messed up octave fuzzes and phasers, etc.). Also, even though they are loud, I rarely get told to turn down by sound people, I assume because they don't sound harsh when cranked up.

sleewell

i have 3, prolly 4 with the fryette 2502 coming tomorrow.

mako mak4 - 4 channels of modern rock and metal awesomeness

bogner fish - 4 channels that can do anything, its jaw droppingly good.

fuchs tds 50 - best clean i have ever heard, od is perfect for blues but can get pretty gnarly too. pretty much the perfect gigging amp for my style.

GasMask

Bruno Cowtipper.

Just amazing! Beautiful warm cleans. Incredibly rich sound, yet retains clarity even with complex chords. Greatest reverb ever. High notes sing with no harshness. It's the best in the world at what it does.

wolfpack

Silver Supporting Member
Budda Twinmaster
'72 Marshall Super Tremolo
Komet Constellation
Mesa Tremoverb
Orange Rocker 30

Last edited:

Neopolitian

THD Univalve for me. It's my 'weight training' amp because it exposes my sloppy playing. Wouldn't sell for many reasons: has unique tone, blends well with other amps, not mass produced, made in USA, fun swapping out tubes, beautiful example of industrial art, only paid $400 for it used...etc

teleluvver

'65 Fender Princeton (non-reverb), all original. Turn it all the way up, still keeps a quiet stage presence. Pure power tube tone, stays clean all the way to 10. Put a mic in front of it, sounds like a Twin. Makes pedals shine, etc, etc.

trailrun100s

Bassman LTD...Just too classic of a sound. And I got it relatively cheap, so not worth ever really getting rid of...

I'll never get tired of that clean sound, and I can put whatever pedal in front to suit my OD flavor of the day...

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Did a quick video for Doug Kauer with my keeper.

I LOVE this amp 50 watt plexi I built from MetroAmp kit...Merren OT, and old glass.
It's pretty perfect. Blood sweat and tears, some study, and some good luck. No desire to ever sell it.

The red one...

supergenius365

Disclaimer: Not an actual supergenius
Silver Supporting Member
The 2 I have now: SFPR and Boogie IIC+

There are perhaps 1 or 2 I'd like to have back, but they are long gone :(

SeanMc

RedPlate BlackVerbDuo88 - simply the best amp I've ever owned. An all-around work-horse kind of amp and its the tone that I like the best. "Amps that sing" is a perfect description.

Bogner 20th Anniversary Shiva - simply a great rock-n-roll amplifier. I've gotten more compliments on my tone/sound/playing through this amp than any other.

Two Rock Custom Reverb Artist - too much fun to play with to let it go.

The common trait - all three of these amps have a spectacular clean sound.

idylldon

Silver Supporting Member
'62 Super
'65 Vibro Champ
'65 Twin Reverb

These will remain with me until I no longer play or die.

Cheers,
--
Don

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
Bogner Shiva...EL34/verb. Head or combo, I'll always have one.
(currently have the 112 combo variety)

ToneKing Comet 40B...212 combo with cleans that are some of the finest around. GREAT reverb...loves pedals, and the gain channel will do edgy tweed to damn near Marshall.

edit. Have to add my Carr Rambler 112 combo, and my RedPlate BlackVerb Standard 50 watt head!

Those two for sure.

S.
j

Last edited:

ugameus

Silver Supporting Member
The Super 17 on top. I just LOVE the clean tones.

IMG_20121026_215322_044.jpg

Heinz W

Genuine '66 Relic
Platinum Supporting Member
Swart SST 30 for me. Had it for six years now and it has been nothing but reliable. Sounds phenomenal clean and dirty, quiet or loud. Lightweight so it's easy to transport. Sounds good with different speakers/cabs. It's simple yet versatile.

The only other amp (actually played by me or heard live) that I still get a little GAS for is a friends Pro Reverb, a blackfaced '70 SF. Love that amp.

DICKIE C

Germino Classic 45. Had it for about three years now. It's a fantastic amp, I'll never sell it. I hope to add more Germinos some day.

Tuberoast

Gold Supporting Member
I have a 70 Deluxe Reverb with an old trannie upgrade, I run 6l6's in it. I've had it forever and have never considered selling it.

Peteyvee

Premium Platinum Member
'66 Super Reverb, '84 Super Champ (best $175 I ever spent on gear) and late '69 metal panel JMP50 smallbox...everything else is expendable. <edit> The smallbox would be expendable if I could find an unmolested '67 black flag JTM50...

Did a quick video for Doug Kauer with my keeper.

I LOVE this amp 50 watt plexi I built from MetroAmp kit...Merren OT, and old glass.
It's pretty perfect. Blood sweat and tears, some study, and some good luck. No desire to ever sell it.

The red one...

Has it got the JTM50 circuit and rectifier tube in it? I noticed the black flag... :D

Trending Topics

Top Bottom