amps with 2 power tubes but only 1 preamp tube

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jay24, May 5, 2016.

1. jay24

jay24 Supporting Member

hey guys, I was looking at the Reeves Custom 12 and I noticed that it has two el84s but only uses one 12ax7 for the preamp and has a full t/m/b tone stack.

Almost all the amps I've seen has more than one preamp tube. How does that work?

Are there any disadvantages/advantages tonally and functionally to using only one preamp tube verses more?

I do understand one tube is used for the phase inverter. Is that all you need to make a preamp section?

Just curious how it worked and was hoping someone can explain to me simply, if there is a simple answer. Tried looking it up but couldn't find any answers. I did come across someone mentioning an amp had to be utilizing solid state components if it only has 1 preamp tube. Not sure if that's true or not.

Thanks!

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

It's a single ended amp no phase inverter.

doctorx, RussB and slybird like this.
  3. slybird

slybird Member

The above is correct. Single ended amps do not have phase inverters. Phase inverters are needed for push/pull, but not for single ended.

4. jay24

jay24 Supporting Member

ah okay, I understand now, that's what it meant when Reeves described the amp has having a parallel single ended design. Basically a single ended amp with two power tubes. Thanks for the info!