Amps with the great dynamics and touch sensitivity.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pageburst, Oct 7, 2008.

1. pageburst

pageburst Silver Supporting Member

I have to say the Trainwreck and Trainwreck style amps I've played through were extraordinarily touch sensitive and dynamically explosive. But boy are they loud

Any amps out there with a master volume have this similar feel. I have played several D style amps that were quite good in this regard. But they didn't have that same unleashed feel.

All suggestions are welcome

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I like Tweed Deluxe amps for touch sensitivity. Crank any decent vintage sounding amp up and get the power tubes cranked.

You might want to look into a Ho/Ua Attenuator/Reamp box. Doyle Bramhall II uses one with a Marshal live, and gets great tones. They have the best tone out of any attenuators I have tried/heard.

Dynamics are one of the most important parts of music.

dk

3. Belmont

Belmont Member

agree on the Ho/UA my Super Lead and DR-103 are much more dynamic and touch sensitive when their output is pushed.

4. M Hossa

M Hossa Member

Dynamics & touch sensitivity:
    Mad Professor CS-40

5. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

My Ulbrick Stadium 80 has great touch sensitivity with an overdrive that has serious power.

6. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Matchless Clubman - Blankenship FatBoy Jr.

7. anyone

anyone Member

Played some Simple Amps at the LA Amp Show. They have a killer touch-sensitive thing going on. Marc Ford freakin' rocked the house with 'em on Sunday night.

Tonic amps have some really cool stuff going on too. The ones I played were pretty loud though. They do sound really good!

8. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Yowsuh! Watch out those guys they know what they are doing.

9. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

Another angle would be to stay with the Trainwreck theme and find an attenuator that works for you.

I find at most gigs I don't need to attenuate the amp much, and I've done a ton of gigs with my original Wreck without any attenuator period. However two things make my original quieter than some. First it has a 6.6k primary output transformer, where as many clones and some original Wrecks are 5.2k. This makes for a louder and brighter amp. Heck, I once played a 5.2k clone (made by a very popular kit maker) that with 6V6s was louder than my original is with EL34s! I mostly run 25 watt original Greenbacks in a 4x12 which aren't very efficient. I also have a single 65 watt rated Scumback M75 in a very small sealed 1x12. That single speaker in a small sealed cab is so low efficiency that I can barely do a club gig with it without miking it. It doesn't have much lows from the stage perspective, but it sounds quite big miked up. Having a single speaker can really bring the efficiency down. My wreck into that little sealed 1x12 is probably not any louder than my '64 Fender Deluxe w/Weber 12F150. Maybe louder "sounding" but not really any more volume.

Just thinking out loud here, pun intended...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  10. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    To me, any non master amp seems to be the most dynamic because you don't get that pre amp gain compression. :YinYang