Amps with underrated cleans

What amps do you own or have tried have underrated cleans meaning they are great but not necessarily known for it.

For me:
  • Vox AC30
  • Orange CR120 (with an EVM12L)
  • Marshall DSL100HR
  • Metropoulos Super-Plex (really sweet with those KT66 tubes)
  • Mesa JP-2C (best sparkly cleans out of any amp, especially with EVM12L) it may not exactly be underrated but it's certainly not known for having the best cleans in the business

Many amps listed here have good cleans but I wouldn't call them underrated...when they are known for their clean tones. For the listed Mesa amps alone, the Mark IIa and the Blue Angel in particular are very famous for their clean sounds and are generally considered some of the best Mesa cleans ever. If that is an understatement, what should we call them then? "The best frigging cleans in the universe, in all universes; so mind-numbingly awesome that when G*d heard them he wept because he realized he couldn't create anything even remotely as heavenly?"
The JP-2C and Mark V, likewise, have great cleans but most people who know Mesa already acknowledge this.

For underrated Mesa cleans, I'll throw a curveball. Something more controversial.
The Dual Rectifier Revision G.
Yes, you read that right.

Wait, Rectos (before Reborn) had terrible cleans, what's this guy rambling about? Didn't they?

Well, they did.
In general.
But there were exceptions.

A bit of history.
The first Revisions (C-D-E) were essentially Soldano SLO knockoffs with different power sections and more bells and whistles. They were made for overdriven 'hotrodded Marshall 'sounds. The clean mode was very much an afterthought. It was cold, stiff, lifeless. It was terrible. (Fortunately, you are unlikely to encounter this problem unless you are one of the less than 500 people on planet Earth who still have one or more of these early Revisions.)

Then we got the early 3-channel Rectos. More metal-oriented than the 2-channel Rectos, with several gain voicings to choose from...plus clean sounds that were terrible, adding to the common understanding that Rectos had terrible cleans.

But in between there, before the 3-channel Recs, there were the Revisions F and G. There are people who praise the Revision F cleans online, so I'll skip that and put in a word for the Rev G instead. Its cleans are essentially similar to the Rev F cleans except that the F is a bit brighter and clearer sounding. The G has somewhat darker cleans but they sound very warm and full even if never quite crystal clean. They have this lush 'springy' quality that makes me think of Fender amps. Actually pretty nice on their own, but they also work surprisingly well as pedal platform cleans.

But most people will tell you old Rectos had terrible cleans...so yes, I'd say that fits the definition of underrated.

(Now I could have nominated the Trem-o-Verb as well, but that one is also relatively famous for its clean tones, so no go. Not underrated.)

It's not really "underrated" because people talk about it all the time, but the clean channel on the Bogner Goldfinger is the best I've plugged into. It's the primary reason I still own mine.

A lot of the Supro models from the past 10 years (prior to their purchase by Bond Audio) have excellent cleans. Folks focus on their breakup and OD tones (and rightly so), but the clean tones often get overlooked. The Royal Reverb, Coronado, and Thunderbolt are good examples.

Don't own one, but I was surprised when I played through an Orange Rocker 15 Terror at a couple of shows. I knew the crunch would be there, I was really blown away by the clean channel.

What amps do you own or have tried have underrated cleans meaning they are great but not necessarily known for it.

For me:
  • Vox AC30
  • Orange CR120 (with an EVM12L)
  • Marshall DSL100HR
  • Metropoulos Super-Plex (really sweet with those KT66 tubes)
  • Mesa JP-2C (best sparkly cleans out of any amp, especially with EVM12L) it may not exactly be underrated but it's certainly not known for having the best cleans in the business
We’ll out of those I would say the following are typically praised for their cleans;

Vox AC30
DSL 100
Any JTM or JMP or clone
All Mesa Mark series amps and tbt the Recto’s cleans are pretty killer once you figure out the amp’s idiosyncrasies.

Top Bottom