• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Amps without reverb....

Yer Blues

I've always used a slight bit of reverb always on from the amp. I just picked up a Silver Jubilee mini with the hopes of getting a good dirty sound at reasonable volume for gigs. Last weekend had two gigs (modern country and variety band) and it worked well for both gigs volume and dirt wise, but I did find myself missing a little bit of reverb. My board has a delay pedal, but it wasn't the same. My thought is to add an always on reverb pedal this weekend.

Is anybody else doing this? If so, are you putting the reverb pedal in the effects loop or in front of the amp? I've never put any effects in the loop, but I'm thinking since I will leave the reverb on all the time I could put it in the loop and leave it on top of the amp. Any thoughts or other ideas on how to approach?

Jupiter Tarts

I have silver jubilee too and a boss delay or reverb pedal through the effects loop. Works just fine for me as I hate running reverb straight into a crunchy channel.

Last edited:

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
Whenever I use reverb, I always run it in the effects loop since I tend to play fairly dirty. Neither my Friedman nor my Dr. Z have onboard reverb, so I have a dedicated reverb pedal on each of my pedalboards: a Strymon Flint on one and a Source Audio Ventris on the other. I love reverb, both as a little echo and as an actual effect.

If you're playing with any gain or dirt from your amp, putting the reverb out front won't always sound the best, so I definitely suggest putting it through the effects loop.

Yer Blues

OK follow up question... I've always put delay up front. Actually have a Deep Blue Delay which is supposedly made to be put up front. So, if I'm going in the loop I would need to set up my board like so....

Effects loop > reverb > delay > effects loop (two guitar chords)
And the remaining pedals up front like how I currently have it?

So, to use the loop I'm going to need two extra cables, correct?

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
OK follow up question... I've always put delay up front. Actually have a Deep Blue Delay which is supposedly made to be put up front. So, if I'm going in the loop I would need to set up my board like so....

That's correct.

jpurcell

I've been using a non reverb blackface Deluxe for years. I use a Boss FRV1 with a DM2 delay in front of the amp.
On the few songs we do that have some od I usually will turn the FRV off. Most of the time I'm playing fairly clean and I like having the faux outboard spring reverb sound of the Boss unit.
Actually when we do an occasional blues song I really like the sound of a Timmy into a fairly high mix on the FRV. But I grew up playing in the 60's listening to people like Dick Dale and Link Wray so I'm kind of a reverbaholic.

Yer Blues

I have silver jubilee too and a boss delay or reverb pedal through the effects loop. Works just fine for me as I hate running reverb straight into the a crunchy channel.
Dude... one of the gigs was an event gig with big stage and soundguy. The band was to play for 3 hours so we took a break in the middle. The Silver Jubilee was at the 20 watt mode. During the break a guy comes up to me and says "you need to turn up man!!!" He was slightly intoxicated.... but I replied "well, we've got a good soundman with huge PA so he is controlling what you hear out front".

Then before the next set the bassist comes to me and says someone told him I was too loud? I was kind of shocked the bassist wouldn't realize that the soundguy was the one controlling the volume up front.

I'm thinking I might try the five watt mode this weekend.... but what would be cool would be if there was a way to switch from 5 watt to 20 watt mode during a song. For example, 5 watt during rhythm (singing) parts and then when you're playing a lead change it to 20 watts for a volume boost. It definitely has all the gain on tap that I need.

Tootone

Except:- Delay -> Reverb

This will give you more control and definition in your sound.

Some inexpensive, good, basic Reverb pedals to check out:-

Digitech Polara
Hardwire RV7 (predecessor of Polara)
Boss RV6
Hardwire Supernatural (Ambient)

AA864

I do this with my Unleash or PS/2. I’ll run a verb pedal in the attenuator loop and put the both on the cab and then wire up my non verb amp to the attenuator. Works great.

Junta

I have the Mini Jubilee, and have been using it with Catalinbread Talisman plate reverb for years. Few would speak against the Talisman; it is a great reverb. It is of course, not spring, which I try to avoid unless it is coming from a great amp.

The designer thought of the Talisman as going into the front end of dirty, higher gain amps, and I can confirm that with the right adjustments on the pedal, it sounds great there too (I prefer the loop).

The pre-delay with the Talisman, as well as the high-pass/low-cut filter are key. Why anyone would consider a reverb without a pre-delay is beyond me...

It even has on board boost/gain to spice things up...

So give the Talisman a try!

sleewell

i use reverb on my cleans and none for dirt. the helix is great for this, you can put whatever type you want in any part of your chain.

vibrostrat43

I've always used a slight bit of reverb always on from the amp. I just picked up a Silver Jubilee mini with the hopes of getting a good dirty sound at reasonable volume for gigs. Last weekend had two gigs (modern country and variety band) and it worked well for both gigs volume and dirt wise, but I did find myself missing a little bit of reverb. My board has a delay pedal, but it wasn't the same. My thought is to add an always on reverb pedal this weekend.

Is anybody else doing this? If so, are you putting the reverb pedal in the effects loop or in front of the amp? I've never put any effects in the loop, but I'm thinking since I will leave the reverb on all the time I could put it in the loop and leave it on top of the amp. Any thoughts or other ideas on how to approach?
For an amp with a loop I'd put the reverb in the loop. That's even how most of the Fender amps were actually designed (a parallel effects loop). They don't have effects loop that can be accessed externally, but they essentially branch off part of the signal (after most of the preamp) to run through the reverb section, and then mix back in with the preamp signal before the phase inverter and power tubes. It's not the best designed effects loop, and since the preamp virtually never breaks up you still that reverb into distorted amp sound if you push it really hard, but even Fender amps use effects loops for reverb (just not as effectively as modern loops, or amps where most drive comes from the preamp).

I've also like the idea of just leaving a reverb pedal hooked up and velcro'd to an amp head or inside a combo cab. The only annoying part there is having to plug in a separate power supply for that pedal, but if you use a power strip to plug your amp into then most likely it wouldn't be such a big deal.

Last edited:

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
If you are getting distortion or drive from the amp's preamp and the amp has an effects loop, then the reverb in the loop is generally preferable. Distortion -> Reverb is much more common and familiar to the ear than Reverb -> Distortion. In the case of the SJ, yeah, just use the loop. Delay works well in the loop or in front, so just use whatever sounds best to you. I tend to prefer my delays in front because you get a nice ducking effect when driven, although the wet/dry amounts need to vary more when driven vs clean.

TB72

Most of my amps don't have reverb. I have a Strymon Flint that fixes that issue quite well.

If I'm running into an amp with an effects loop, I'll put the reverb in there. I have no issues with running into the front end though (some of my amps, I don't have a choice anyway). I tend to run my amps clean and get my crunch from pedals (usually). As long as you have the reverb after your dirt pedals in the chain, it works just fine.

Robert Libutti

Silver Supporting Member
I've found delay can go before the amp and in the loop. It will produce interesting, different results in both positions. Reverb sounds ok in front of a clean amp, but tends to turn into a mess when fed into drive. Delay is more discrete repeats, so the repeat gets dirty when placed before drive. So you can get a weird effect (I think Tool does this quite a bit). Placed in the loop, you repeat a dirty signal, so it's clearer repeats. Reverb is more of an ambient wash, even at low settings. So in the loop, after dirt, you add that ambience to the dirt, like screaming in a big room or playing a distorted guitar in a big hall. But reverb into dirt takes that ambient wash, then distorts that. It tends to just get sloppy. It all depends on your settings of course. But I've found usefulness for both locations of delay, but reverb almost exclusively in the loop. Fairly certain in an amp containing reverb, the reverb comes after the preamp.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
Bassman LTD here. I have an older big sized Holy Grail that I run in front of it. I only use just a touch of reverb mainly because I have a tiny bit of slap back delay going on as well. They sound great together and the amp sounds really nice with this set up. :aok

muzishun

Here we go down the rabbit hole! ;)

For a just reverb always on deal I would use a pedal in the loop set on top of your amp. It keeps from having to run long leads to and from fx.

Kelly

Dude... one of the gigs was an event gig with big stage and soundguy. The band was to play for 3 hours so we took a break in the middle. The Silver Jubilee was at the 20 watt mode. During the break a guy comes up to me and says "you need to turn up man!!!" He was slightly intoxicated.... but I replied "well, we've got a good soundman with huge PA so he is controlling what you hear out front".

Then before the next set the bassist comes to me and says someone told him I was too loud? I was kind of shocked the bassist wouldn't realize that the soundguy was the one controlling the volume up front.

I'm thinking I might try the five watt mode this weekend.... but what would be cool would be if there was a way to switch from 5 watt to 20 watt mode during a song. For example, 5 watt during rhythm (singing) parts and then when you're playing a lead change it to 20 watts for a volume boost. It definitely has all the gain on tap that I need.
Play at a volume that you and the soundman are comfortable with, ignore the audience chatter.

Trending Topics