Amps without reverbs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by what?, Jun 9, 2006.

1. what?

what? Member

I've got a marshall bluesbreaker ri and JCM 900 mk2/3? combo and they're both reverbless. So far I use a DD-3 for ambience but it just add this thin brittleness when used as reverb-type delay.

Should I go for an analog delay for my reverb-type ambience or go with reverb pedals?I'm thinking of a DM-2 or a line6 verbzilla

2. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

A DM2 is a great delay; it has none of the DD3 brittleness. (I've got both)

3. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

The E-H Holy Grail reverb is surprisingly good and plays well with my non-reverb amps.

Keep in mind that it requires its own power wart (no batteries) and is cheaply made, but it's so good and so cheap that I got two of 'em.

Kiwi

4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

The reverb from my Holy Grail is better sounding to me than any of the built-in reverbs on my 3 amps that come with it.

5. Mixotonic

Mixotonic Member

For the price the Holy Grail is great IMO. I use it on my Carmen Ghia and also on my Fender Pro Reverb. I no longer use the tank reverb on that amp.

Some folks dislike the "reverb trails" on the Holy Grail. They say they last too long. I just use a tiny bit so it doesnt bother me. YMMV so try before you buy.

6. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

+1 on the Holy Grail. I agree that it sounds better than most built in reverbs I've tried. I HAVE noticed that it does thin out the tone a bit (it's not true bypass) . I'll probably get a loop pedal to switch this and other non-true bypass pedals. Also, the Rocktron Short Timer is an EXCELLENT short delay for adding ambience to your signal. It's got a great warmth to it and is dirt cheap. It's not true bypass either, but it's a worthy delay. Some day I'll save up for something true bypass.

7. what?

what? Member

I need a reverb pedal that would take std 9V boss adapter and can be used ON all the time cause I always use either reverb or small delay all the time.

8. jbro

jbro Member

Save yourself some money - if you already have the DD-3 there's an easy mod that will make it sound more analog and take away that brittleness. It will take about 10 minutes and cost you around a dollar. Just wire up a .47uF or 1uF cap between the outer lugs of the "effect level" pot. This will roll of the highs of the delayed signal and make it sound warm like an analog delay (the bigger valued cap will kill more of the highs). I have a 1uF in mine - it's pretty dark though and you may want to try a .47 first. It turns the DD3 into a great, non-invasive ambient effect. Just be aware that because the highs continue to degrade on each repeat, you will no longer be able to drive the unit into oscillation by maxing out the repeats. If you're crafty you can install a switch to add/remove the cap from the circuit so you can go back and forth between digital and "analog" delay at will. Robert Keeley does this and has gotten great reviews.

9. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I'm still experimenting with this. Your own ears have to be the judge. Though I like the HG reverb tone, I've put this pedal aside. It's often too noisy. Using a fender RI outboard unit, mostl with analog delay. Lately, delay only on my favorite non-reverb amp, the Gibson GA40. The Maxon AD999 is changing my whole attitude. The Gibson seems to have this extra warmth and tone presence with the Maxon alone. The DM-2 would give a similar warmth, not sure if the shorter delay time would be as effective. (I set the Maxon to about half of the 900 ms delay time, which is well over the max on the DM-2.) Bottom line: a good analog delay might be at least part of what you're looking for.

10. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

I've also been happy w/ the Maxon AD-999 for some ambience...

11. onehourlater

onehourlater Member

+1 Jbro my buddy did this and it makes a difference beyond words

12. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

BTW, the Holy Grail ships with it's own ac adapter.

13. Sunil

Sunil Gold Supporting Member

The Holy Grail is a great sounding pedal, but I don't like the extraneous noise that comes with it (not a bog deal at home, but not useful for recording or live). I also have the Maxon AD999 delay pedal which is a fantastic pedal for adding warmth and ambience. I have an Alessandro Working Dog Rottweiler amp whose reverb is virtually non-existent (you only begin to notice the verb with the knob at 3:00, and it can hardly be described as lush when maxed), but the AD999 solves that problem, giving the amp ambience without compromising clarity. I also have a Maven Peal Ganesha head which has no reverb at all (soon to be up for sale btw), and again the AD999 provides beautiful wetness and depth. The Holy Grail sounds great through the Ganesha as well, but again the noise is grating, and the AD999 does the job beautifully.

The AD999 pairs nicely with the great reverb on my Bogner Shiva combo, particularly the Shiva's clean channel. I basically turn down the reverb to about 9:00, and add the AD999 to add more depth to the overall sound -- Lush without mush. Same thing works with a Fender DRRI. I find the reverb on the DRRI to be a bit much at just past 3, but turn the reverb down to about 1-1/2 - 2 and add the AD999 for ambience and the sound is really sweet.

A friend has the (discontinued) Peavey Valverb rack, and it sounds dynamite, but apparently it can easily get spring noise with the slightest bump.

-- Sunil

14. 1964

1964 Member

I've had two EH Holy Grails, and both were noisy as heck. Terrible!

15. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Strange. Never had any noise problems with my Holy Grail, going direct in from guitar to amp.

16. gtrchris

gtrchris Member

i'm using the Verbzilla with my non reverb amps and it's quite nice, not noisy. If you want a nice delay for a little ambience try a Ibanez AD-9. I leave mine on most of the time, it's such a beautiful sound.

17. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Sunil:

Our experiences are similar. I love the HG sound, but that pedal has frustrated me once too often. Aside from noise issues, I'm on my third pedal, and 4th power supply (burned through 3 of their proprietary power supplies before giving up and getting a Godlyke powerall.)

Like you, I appreciate that analog delay by itself, even more so in front of a good in-amp reverb. Lush is the word. It took about 5 minutes for the AD999 to become an indispensable part of my sound. It sounds too good, I can't turn it off.

18. Sunil

Sunil Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, it's a pity about the HG. I had less noise using a Radio Shack 9v power supply with the proper pin plug, but still an unacceptable amount. And though they're cheap, after three or four HG's, well . . . the things I could have bought instead. The AD999 is an integral part of my sound too. I pretty much have it on the whole time, and use an HG Memory Man for longer and more dramatic delay effects. The MM is a bit noisy too, but somehow its noise is kind of cool to me, in the context of things like volume swells and the combo delay/vibe effect.

I just checked out the Diamond Memory Lane pedal last weekend. Now that's a killer delay pedal for more pronounced delay effects and other interesting sounds! Very quiet pedal. It's pretty expensive at over $550, but it's one of the best delays I've heard yet and may well be a soon-to-be acquisition.

Cheers,

-- Sunil

19. boog204

boog204 Member

i use the eh holy grail w/ my demeter's.... works great. only issue i've found is that the adaptor is unique to the holy grail so when one breaks, you're in for a difficult search to find a replacement.

20. Mike K

Mike K Silver Supporting Member

jbro, just to confirm - do you really mean .47uf, or did you mean .047uf.

Thanks,
    Mike K.