Amps You Dig But Most People Dislike:

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by supersoldier71, Jan 19, 2020.

1. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

Peavey Valveking. I have a VKII 50w combo. It’s not the greatest amp of all time but it’s way better than it gets credit for. I’ll admit it takes a little TLC but it doesn’t need circuit mods to deliver the goods. Just glass, a good speaker and time to get to know her.

forgivenman and B Money like this.
  2. Jonny G

Jonny G Member

Same here - lost it somewhere in/over Germany (don't ask...;)

Carvin Legacy 3 - dark amp but perfect with a tele

aynirar27, B Money and Snottyboy like this.
  3. Tortex Cortex

Tortex Cortex Member

Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out.

The Yamaha G-series is great and you can get them for very little money these days. They're still quite popular with jazz players!

(And they sound great with pedals.)

Cousin likes this.
  4. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

I just gave my Jet City 20w combo to a young fella who started playing about a year ago and hadn’t yet experienced the glory of a cranked tube amp. Upgraded the bottles and the speaker and that little amp roared. Oh, and it desperately needed a bias adjustment out of the box.

I also owned a Fender Mustang 3 combo which punched above its price point in terms of tone, if not feel.

5. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

Carvin Legacy (first version). Huge, beautiful, albeit "darkish" cleans. Gain channel is a grainy disappointment...until you realize that when pushed a little with the mids dimed and highs attenuated, it smooths right out. The amp is ridiculously loud, but it is possible to get good tones at somewhat reasonable volumes. Excellent deals can be had.

6. d'djembe mutombo

d'djembe mutombo Member

Mesa Rectifier: I know it has it's fans, but now most people view it as the silly chugga chugga numetal amp. If you can dial it in, it is probably the best high gain head on the market for rhythm tones. The clean is sterile, but the pushed setting on the green channel gives some very good ac30 style 'cleans'. I don't own one anymore because I spend all my time on my...

Mesa Lonestar: The drive channel gets crapped on all the time. People say it's like playing with a blanket over your speaker. Honestly, that's how I felt the first time I played it. Most people think that the drive is more like a boost to channel 2. However, once you start treating the gain on CH2 as a volume and the Drive as your preamp saturation, it really opens up what this amp can do. Incredibly versatile OD. Anything from country leads to hardcore. The clean still is probably Mesa's best clean to date. Just waiting for them to make the special smaller and lighter like the Mark V:35.

aynirar27 likes this.
  7. B Money

B Money Member

Bogner Alchemist. Pretty much despised on TGP but I like it.

The other guitar player in my band uses a Peavey Valveking MKII combo. He gets a good tone out of it, not a bad amp at all.

forgivenman likes this.
  8. Tootone

Tootone Member

Vox AC30 C2x

Buck Woodson likes this.
  9. cheapgtrs

cheapgtrs Supporting Member

The Fender Pawnshop amps - Excelsior, Vaporizer and Rampart (never tried a Greta)
    Crate Vintage Club series
    Vox AC4

LordByron and JasonElGato like this.
  10. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

11. Tortex Cortex

Tortex Cortex Member

Ok, I gotta admit: I'm surprised that the Mesa Rectifier is supposedly an amp people DISLIKE. I still see bands playing them all the time - good bands too.

But maybe I'm just stuck in the past: In the 90s, people were willing to kill for these. I've never owned one but I sure remember WANTING one...

Is this a myonnaise thing again?

12. J Factor

J Factor Member

I like the Rectos, and don't care that they are considered a "nu-metal" amp.

I also still really like my Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18. It's a solid little guy, despite the flak it gets for having some solid state shenanigans going on.

13. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I really like the more complex Boogie Mark series amps, like the MK III and the MK IV. I don't know if they are hated, but there seems to be a general amount of disdain for the complexity of dialing them in and that "Mesa sound."

I also really like the Marshall 3203 Artist amps, the ones from the '80s with SS power section and tube pre-amp section with diode clipping.

supersoldier71 likes this.
  14. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

Mesa Boogie Stiletto.

No idea why these were so poorly received. I just got a stage 1 and it sounds incredible, especially with a boost for heavy tones. The perfect happy medium between a Marshall and a Mesa, just be careful with the presence control and I find it easy to dial in a plethora of classic to modern rock and metal tones. Can’t praise this amp enough!

15. handyman

handyman Member

Those were really great sounding amps, in my opinion.

Wyatt Martin likes this.
  16. dcburn

dcburn Member

I bought the Boogie Cali Tweed because not only did I think it was the best sounding clean amp Boogie ever produced, but the best clean tone of any amp I've ever heard. Like angels tears...

slicepaperdavid likes this.
  17. Timothy Martin

Timothy Martin Member

I wouldn't call the Mesa Boogie Mark V 90 a hated amp but it is one of my favorites, but the most favorite hated amp was and still is the Marshall JCM900 Dual Reverb. Amazing metal tone and frankly amazing hard rock tone(I watched Rick Neilson of Cheap Trick use one on "Live at Darryls House" and there it was, his Dream Police sound from the 80's, not everyones cup of tea but really made me happy......and the 6l6 power section sounded awesome to me. Most people don't know how to use it but trust me put an eq pedal in the loop and use high output pickups and this monster screamed.

DV52 likes this.
  18. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

I had a Sunn Beta Lead Combo late 70s or so and well into the 80s. I never had issues with it sounding good besides the fact I used too much gain and had to be louder then everyone that ever lived before. Clean and Dirty channel back then didn't exist for the most part.

abby_normal and Alvis like this.
  19. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

My Traynor ycv40. It needed a speaker swap and it's been hugely unreliable - but the sound works very well in a dense mix.

20. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Marshall Astorias

A lot of people dismissed them quickly because of the looks and the price. But they fit what a lot of Marshall fans had been asking for for years. Very high quality handwired production amps with great tones in a gigger-friendly package.