Amps you have given away for FREE or THROWN AWAY with no regrets ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Telejester, May 31, 2020.

1. gtrgeek335

gtrgeek335 Member

A Yamaha/Soldano TC100, just did not work for me, couldn't make my ear happy clean or overdriven!
    Gave it to my best friend, he uses it for harp!

Gordon

2. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

I started playing guitar in 1995 at age 15. I had a friend who played keys and we would play music occasionally at his house. His dad says one day that he has his old guitar amp in the attic and he will bring it down for us. It was an original mid-60s AC30 that he bought new. He hasn't played it in years.

Stupidly we just plugged in and let it rip. We were plugging a keyboard into it...lol. had some scratchy pots and a wonky input jack but it worked fine otherwise.

I knew it was special, but not exactly how special.

Anyway, a few weeks later I came back to play again and the AC30 is gone. My friend says that he went to play his keyboard with it and it powered on but had no sound...So they took it and threw it in a dumpster.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy?????

ChampReverb likes this.
  3. darkwaters

darkwaters Member

I've given several guitars, amps, and pedals to friends over the years. Feels good. No regrets.

deepcove17 likes this.
  4. deepcove17

deepcove17 Supporting Member

I gave away a Roland Cube 40.....no regrets.

darkwaters likes this.
  5. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

When I first decided to learn guitar, I came home with an Ibanez RG3 and a tiny Marshall practice amp. I still have the guitar, but I couldn't jettison that Marshall practice amp fast enough. I gave it to a kid that was taking lessons with the same instructor I was using because he didn't have an amplifier yet. No regrets whatsoever.

I replaced that amp with a Spider III, which was also terrible. I let my kid take that amp to school so that he'd have something to use during music class.

6. Phil the Kill Bill V2 guy

Phil the Kill Bill V2 guy Member

A guy gave me a mid 60s Ampeg Reverbrocket . It needed work. I put about $150 into it at an amp repair place. Used it on a couple of gigs, then it more or less died on me. So into the dumpster it went.

7. Austin_Taunt

Austin_Taunt Supporting Member

A new cabinet wouldn’t have fixed it. I’ve been down the road you have described so many times. If I feel I need to mod something beyond pickups I send it down the road. I could of bought a few custom guitars with the money I’ve spent modding things.

To add to the thread...I’ve given my dad a Taylor 210e, a friend an Ibanez guitar, and thrown in countless no longer used pedals in trades to sweeten the deal but really was just getting rid of the clutter. Also guitar straps...I love buying new Levy guitar straps to match guitars finish and give away the old ones to friends.

8. BMW-KTM

BMW-KTM Member

The OP was asking about amps.
    I heard some great things about the larger cabinet but as I said, it was already too late.

9. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

Someone gave me a Peavey bass combo that was cutting out intermittently. I thought maybe it was something I could fix, like dirty pots or a bad speaker cable connection. I couldn't. I didn't want to trash it. Had no use for the speaker or cabinet. I gave it to a local amp repair guy. I said "if you can fix it and sell it for a few bucks, great. If you can't, feel free to pitch it." I don't know the outcome.

fretless likes this.
  10. Coolidge

Coolidge Member

I purchased a JCM900 MkIII 100 watt model 2100. Gutted it to the bare chassis. New tube sockets, wiring, pots, jacks, tubes, filter caps, added a choke, then gifted it to my nephew who can't afford a decent amp!

11. Chuck Chrome

Chuck Chrome Member

Had the exact amp. Unreliable garbage and went to the end of the driveway with the rest of the garbage. There is no way I could have sold that to someone with a clear conscious.

fretless and AA864 like this.
  12. Benny

Benny Gold Supporting Member

When I moved out of Chicago, I had a fair amount of extra gear that I was no longer going to need. Donating the stuff that worked right and sounded right to Girls Rock! is something I'll never regret.

13. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

I can’t imagine an amp that sounded so bad I would throw away a working amp rather than donate it.

14. ylo

ylo Member

I gave away a Silvertone 1484 head. It was very poorly constructed with cheap components, and it needed lots of work even though it did function. The guy I gave it to just paid for the shipping. At least it went to someone that wanted it.

fretless likes this.
  15. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Supporting Member

A friend of mine in high school had a small amp that was giving him problems and he needed something for around the house noodling so I gave him a solid state Crate (I think GX15?). My best friend needed something manageable to jam with at home so I gifted him a Roland Micro Cube. Not big donations by any means here.

fretless likes this.
  16. dreamspace

dreamspace Supporting Member

I haven't given away any amps yet, but there are two candidates that come close

1. Got a Marshall JTM combo as part of a trade. Plugged in, played around for 15 mins, and instantly put it on the classifieds for $50. Turns out the guy that purchased it had driven for something like 3-4 hours to pick it up - I felt so bad, almost offered to give him some gas money, to dampen the inevitable disappointment.

2. Laney GS412 cab or something like that, with HH speakers. It just sucked, and due to cabs being expensive to ship, I sold it to someone local for 50 bucks.

17. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Only amp i remember givkng away was a small late 70s bass practice amp called a Stage. Was a crappy little 30 watt ss w a 10 inch spkr. Blew the speaker a few times fixed it and essentially gave it to a drummer/percussionist friend who was using it as a monitor. I cant remember if he ever offered it back to me but i wouldnt have taken it back anyway. Was a terrible sounding pos at least for a bass.

18. General_Specific

General_Specific Member

60's Magnatone Cleo.

It needed an output transformer. I had it as a project for years. I gave it to a user here.

19. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Supporting Member

Threw away my first amp.. Wasn't a guitar amp but I used it for guitar and it sounded pretty good pushed with a muff pedal. Zenith 15 watt..One day it died... The drummers dad drove us to Thriftys to use the tube tester, they all tested good so we couldn't figure out what broke. checked the fuse etc. drummers dad declared it dead.. I think the cranked muff killed it.. It was pretty beat up and looked like a piece of 50s furniture.. Took me a while to get another amp.... I think I was 16(1977).. I've always thought it would be cool to find another one and make a killer sounding amp out of it .. here's a picture of one just like it.... I guess the no regret part was when we played our little"shows" people would point at my console looking thing and laugh and when you are in your teens playing in front of people you are already kind of self conscious .Ha ha.. I think I got a Music Man amp next which I traded from a JMP100
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    fretless likes this.
  20. hanknc

hanknc Supporting Member

Gibson Saturn 40w 2x10 free to good home on Harmony Central back in the 80’s. Couldn’t bring myself to make somebody pay for that amp.