Amps you never heard, but you want bad.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mude, Sep 20, 2006.

1. mude

mude Supporting Member

What amps are causing the GAS to start to flow even though you have not so much as heard or seen them in person?

I have been lucky enough to have played/owned/barrowed/whatever lots of the amps that get discussed on this board. High end stuff ranging from several D13s to Two Rock, Fuchs, Bruno, Suhr, Demeter, Guytron, Dr. Z, Roccaforte, Carr, VHT, Komet, Bogner, Matchless, Tone King, Dumble, lots of vintage stuff and that is just scratching the surface I'm afraid.

So, having tried all that stuff, I don't generally go crazy for the latest thing as I have found some less expensive stuff that tends to make me pretty happy (combined with some "vintage" stuff I still have around).

That being said, a new crop of portable amps, with good features, from designers I trust have me thinking.......

My current short lust list currently includes the following (none are even out for real yet):

Bogner Duende - whatever happened with this one? Sure seems like a cool idea and I like everything I have tried from Bogner. I wonder when and if this one is still coming? Maybe the new Shiva instead as that remaining ones of my benchmark boutique amps. LOL.

Suhr Badger - I am highly biased here, but I have a deep respect for Suhr and company and am really looking forward to these. Seems like a great set of features in a very cool little package. I have liked everything Suhr has done before and have very high expectations for this one as well.

Guytron combo - I have helped Guytron in the past and will help again as needed if I can. So, count me as biased here as well. That being said, this combo looks very cool with a great set of features. I think Guy is a heck of an amp designer and goes well beyond just copying old designs. The pics look very cool and if he can capture some of the magic of some of his best tones and beyond, he will really have something special.

For me, the common thread seems to be amps that have the potential to sound great at very reasonable volumes. In addition, they are all very portable. Great for gigging or noodling at home. I sure don't need anything right now, but these sure look cool on paper (never been in the same room with any of them).

So, what amps are you digging, but have no experience with at all yet?

Evan.

2. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

'68 Super Lead......Dumble Overdrive Special.....AC30 Top Boost.

Steve

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Grammar correction: Amps you never....you want bad-LY (it's an adverb).

Smartass aside. I think a Komet calls to me. I want to play a Dumble just to say that I have, and a (golden age) Plexi. That's about it.

4. Phloored

Phloored Member

Juke 1210

Supro Tremolectric

5. mude

mude Supporting Member

:jo LOL. I expect the amps on my list to be baaaaaadddddd!!!!!!!! In that case, "bad" is an adjective I guess.

"Amps you want badly" does not sound nearly as cool as "amps you want bad." So, I butchered the English language in order to more effectively get my point across (the purpose of language right? :) ).

I have had both the Komet 60 and the Connie. Both are worthy of lust for the right player. Both were too loud on their own for overdrive tones for me.

I have gotten to play 6 different Dumbles I think. Two were definitely things I would love to have, a couple did not do much for me, and a couple more seemed pretty darn good, but not crazy good (for my tastes anyhow). I did not play any of them in a band context, so who knows?

Evan.

6. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Upon reflection:

You're right Evan, just plain 'bad' sounds cooler. Red marks removed...

7. mude

mude Supporting Member

3 teachers in my family that will side with your first position.

Aren't we just crazy musicians living on the edge????? At least on the Internet, we can pretend to be can't we?????? :BEER

Evan.

8. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

An admitted 18 watt FREAK, I have allways had an attraction to the Bogner Metropolis. Yet I have never even seen one.
    I also have to avoid the Kingsley website as my finger starts edging towards the Visa.

9. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

My tonal needs seem to be met with my current stable (Fargen, Tone King, Soul 0 45, Cube 60) but I'm really looking forward to at least playing, if not possessing, Steve Webster's up and coming creation, the V-Stack amp. If it's good enough for Lance................ ;)

And maybe a Fargen Olde 800 :)

jon

10. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Matchless Independence! Suhr Badger! Suhr CAA OD100 Classic Plus! Fargen! ... what the heck, I'll go ahead and admit that I want it ALL!

11. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I bought my Gries 35 without hearing/playing through it first. It's the nicest amp I've owned.

Another I'd like to have without ever trying it would be a 5E3 clone. I won't get rid of the Gries but I sure would like to have a 5E3 as an alternative.

12. Peppy

Peppy Member

Snider Chicago, Bruno Cowtipper 35 or 45 (2 X 12" combo), /13 FTR37, Swart AST and a Dumble Overdrive Special. Realistically speaking about one or two of those I'll actually hear in the next year or so.

13. Formvar

Formvar Supporting Member

I would love to check out a Trainwreck Express in live and studio scenarios. Now, that would be some fun:AOK

14. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

I 'm wanting to play lets see... any of Andy's amps, Richards Goodsell 17 ( and his 5 ), James's new amps the Tone Cat, Panther and Lynx at Bad Cat. Even better if I could put them onstage with me for a couple months and write a ripping Review in several of the blues rags. We are due back in the studio so to take a few in there and record with them would be personal history. Nuff said about that day dream ;)

15. webs

webs Supporting Member

Trainwreck express, komet.

16. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

I know how this is going to sound, but its true.
    I'm gassing for the next Roccaforte model which is currently under way.
    The Jenelle 80/100 , its the Custom 80 and HG100 in one amp,
    factory loop, half power, adjustable DI, and DC heaters.
    I'm about two months out, very soon!
    Doug

17. barman

barman Member

......................... now that is an excellent idea! :AOK

[​IMG]

It would sure make things easy on me.

18. mude

mude Supporting Member

Very cool picture. Sounds like a monster amp by the way Doug!

Evan.

19. mude

mude Supporting Member

That probably sums it up well. :) That being said, the 3 amps I mentioned seem cool to me because on paper they seem like what I might design based on current needs. On the other hand, I have regularly been disappointed with low wattage amps before (even for low volumes).

Evan.

20. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Komet Constellation
    Aiken Aurora