Amps you regret buying

dumdums

For me, it's my roland JC-120. It has a lot of hiss, and I never use it. Plus, it weighs more than a marine mammal. I could have bought a nice used low watt tube combo for what I paid for it, and I regret buying it. I started with a Roland Cube 30 when I was a kid, and thought it would be a useful studio tool, but it doesn't work very well with most od pedals, being that it is solid state.

Any amp purchases you regret?

V-man

The world tried to convince me my JCM 900 was the worst thing on the planet to burn EL-34s. It years to beat those parroting idiots’ chorus into a dull murmur. Granted, if I knew in HS about the change from 800-900 and who recorded what on them, I’d have had a lightly-used 800 for much cheaper than a NIB 900 that would have stayed with me to this day. Not a terrible regret either way though.

I did rescue some guy’s Crate Blue Voodoo combo. He left my number on the repair shop call tag and skipped town. I paid the $60 and a few years later had another repair bill for it before selling it. I doubt I broke even when I sold it and in hindsight, probably should have left it with them to figure out.

My last one was practically a free amp. I wanted a Marshall Mode Four Straight cab, and some jackass 75mi away assured me he had a “full stack”. There it was... his MF350 head and MF angled cab “full stack”. Literally the one ****ing thing I came for was missing. He basically gave me the half-stack for $400 and I was still pissed.

Anyway, something happened to the damned thing and all that blue spaghetti ribbon wire screamed “NEWP!” NFW was I putting that kind of bench time on a solid state amp. Disclosed openly and sold as is on Reverb to someone who probably plugged something loose in and got a killer deal.

So, considering these “regrets”, I live a pretty charmed life, amp-wise.

Amp_Addicted

That's easy: it would be a red knob "The Twin". That amp sucked big time. It was replaced by a 1968 drip edge Twin Reverb which worked a whole lot better. After that point, I have never owned an amp made past 1983(that would be a Marshall 4010 1x12 combo that I should have kept).

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
He said "boinky"!

Mine was a Cruise Amps MQ4. It was a great idea, 4 channels, separate input for piezo, multiple effects loops, 4 6L6s with output wattage from 100 down to 5w (single ended). But it hissed like mad on anything less than 100w, you couldn't set the clean channel to be as loud as the crunch channel to save your life, and they broke with distressing regularity. The cab was ply with 4 V30s. The 212 combo amp I sold to someone after I got it working, no idea how he liked it!

green_henry

Gold Supporting Member
For me, it's my roland JC-120. It has a lot of hiss, and I never use it. Plus, it weighs more than a marine mammal. I could have bought a nice used low watt tube combo for what I paid for it, and I regret buying it. I started with a Roland Cube 30 when I was a kid, and thought it would be a useful studio tool, but it doesn't work very well with most od pedals, being that it is solid state.

Any amp purchases you regret?
For me, it was my JC-77. Loved the chorus (e.g., great Roxy Music tones), but the distortion was worthless, and it had no character without the chorus -- I definitely prefer Fender cleans. I did like that it came with casters! I wish Boogie would do that!!!

lawrencedesigns

Silver Supporting Member
I have wanted a Bandmaster ever since I played one in a music store in 1964. But being a casual player, I just never picked one up.
A few years ago I thought I would satisfy my memory with a Bandmaster VM head.
What a disaster! Only had it a few months...tons of problems..it finally died and there is no Fender support. Proprietary boards that are no longer made.
So it was dumped...as a boat anchor.
I got smart and picked up a pristine '67 blackface Bandmaster head. I've never been happier

Trending Topics

Top Bottom