Amps you regret buying

THD univalve. Noisy, cold, hard, lifeless, sterile. Didn’t matter what tubes I used it always sounded and felt like ****. The guy I sold it to wasn’t too impressed either. He contacted THD because he thought I sold him a broken amp. They said “no, seems to be acting fine”.
I traded a JCM900 head for one of these, and like you, found it doesn't matter what tubes you use, it sounds like crap. Plus the clean channel is so anemic you can't use it if you're playing with others. Although the Marshall was too much for what I was doing, I'd trade back in a second.

I did regret buying my Egnater tweaker when the first transformer died in a month, and then the second fried after I left the amp on overnight. Now it's got a Mercury Magnetics tranny in it and we're having a cautious reconciliation.

Reactions: *J*

Telejester

Victory V40 duchess 40w 6L6 head. Delivered early one morning and was back in its box by lunchtime for courier to return it to shop for refund. Even with treble maxxed it sounded like somebody had nailed a mattress to the front of my speaker cab

cetanu

Mesa Boogie Dual/Triple Rectifier/Roadking - fizzy, lifeless and at some point within a year after purchase the Roadking was in for repair on a weekly basis, probably the most unreliable amp I've ever had.

Line 6 Vetta - the Line 6 amp models didn't do it for me, never liked the fizzyness of the distortion. Bought it for a project where I thought I would need the versatility/features. I didn't .

Larry Dino - premium price for what is basically just a modded Marshall from a guy that is a full-blown conspiracy theorist which in hindsight is not all that surprising since the only guitarist that openly endorsed the amps and called him a friend gave album release interviews on Infowars and got snatched by the feds for being involved in the capitol riots and recently struck a deal to rat out his rioter and oath keeper friends. Won't see that guy on a commercial flight anytime soon.

Kitty Hawk Overdrive Special - basically a Dumble ODS, some call it vowel I call it a cocked wah. From all the Dumble clones I played probably the best but underwhelming nonetheless.

Last edited:

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
I agree. Michael Schenker still uses the 2205's. I love my 2210, although it isn't my primary amp (that is a Marshall JVM HJS 410).

Another rather famous guitarist Tom Morello (obviously of Rage Against the Machine,etc) has used almost exclusively 2205's from what I've read , and he sounds pretty damn good. Got the same tone from my 2204 pretty much and other Marshalls but he loves the 2205 :)

Eric

micycle

I bought a Line 6 Spider 1x12 a decade or so ago and that gets my vote by a long shot. I'd just moved to Brooklyn at the time and was looking for something cheap and light to lug around on public transit so figured I'd give it a whirl. It was cheap and light, that's for sure - and sounded fine at home, but it was fart city as soon as I tried it out with the band and I just couldn't tweak it into submission. I love a lot of Line 6's stuff (HX Stomp, Helix Native, and my trusty ol' Pod 2.0 to name a few) but man, that thing was a swing and a miss for me.

Chuck Snider

Silver Supporting Member
In 77 my amp(weird Zenith console thing) blew up and I bought a brand new music man 2X12 combo...I hated it!.... Lucky for me,someone traded me a 73 Super Lead for it and I used that amp till the early 2000s...

rjsc5

I bought a used Rivera M100.
My regret stems from the fact that I couldn't figure out how best to use this amp.
Perhaps it was just too much amp for me in terms of wattage.

It took me a good 10 years to fully comprehend what a great amp my M60 is. Part of my problem was using the right speakers. Amp design was exceptional, and reliability superb.

plektrum

People are going to hate me for this but the one amp I regret buying was an early Mesa Dual Rectifier Rev E.

I wanted to get either a Soldano, a 5150 or a Rectifier at the time. I saw Jerry Cantrell using one and my dad bought it for me for my 19th birthday. I remember the day it came and how happy I was and how much money it was for us at the time.

Problem was, I couldn't just bond with it. I literally couldn't find a single tone that I loved. It had a ton of great tones. But from the reviews I read it was meant to do a Bassman and Soldano in a single package. It had a variac and you could pick the tubes you wanted 6L6s or EL34s. I didn't like the look either, it looked uncool, even at the time.

Anyway, I took it to practice and it was pretty good. The other guitar player brought a new amp in a few weeks later, a JCM800, and I liked that better. We had a gig and some punk band had a cheap metal panel Marshall, 50 watts. And that was much closer to the tone I was looking for originally. Remember at the time you could get 50 watt Marshalls for about 200-300 bucks. Yep, those were the days. I used that Mesa for years as my main amp, never really happy with it.

Anyway, my father passed away and I just can't sell the Mesa. I never use it nowadays, maybe once in every 4-5 years I'll power it up, go "meh" and put it away again. I thought about selling it but I just can't.

pepedede

A Mesa-boogie DC3. Sounded so fizzy to me. I got rid of it pretty quick.

Lots of disappointment for the mesa boogies in this thread. I've never owned one, but I remember an article I read about Soundgarden using dual rectifiers on the Superunknown album and struggling to get the right sound out of the overdrive channel. Finally they tried the normal channel cranked and that was it.

budg

Silver Supporting Member
1978 Fender Super reverb. Always wanted one and had plan to gig with it. Bought it on eBay . Sounded awesome, but I did not realize they weighed 85 lbs for a short time including 1978. No way I was carting that around. Kept for a while then sold it.

twoheadedboy

Another rather famous guitarist Tom Morello (obviously of Rage Against the Machine,etc) has used almost exclusively 2205's from what I've read , and he sounds pretty damn good. Got the same tone from my 2204 pretty much and other Marshalls but he loves the 2205 :)

Eric

I think Morello has used a 2205 for his whole career, mostly with a Telecaster on the neck pickup. He has gotten some great sounds. I think the clipping diodes give the 2205 a little bit of extra snappy definition that you don't get with the 2203 or 2204, which works well for stuff like RATM. I used mine in a funk band and loved it for that.

TooMuchFiber

Silver Supporting Member
Honestly, every solid state amp I've bought (Fender, Blackstar, Boss), but especially the Fender Mustang. I enjoyed it for about a week, but then found that every kind of tone out of it was lacking. That was back when the thought of spending over $300 for an amp seemed crazy to me. Hah!

Atmospheric

Genz Benz Black Pearl - people on here raved about how amazing it was for the money, a steal? uh, no... also heavy.
I went on an audition recently. Bassist had told me I could plug into his guitar amp. He went on and on about what a connoisseur he was of boutique amps. I should have asked what he had, but I don't like to primarily talk gear during the audition process. I want to be all about the music. Anyway, I showed up and it was a Genz Black Pearl. All I needed was a halfway workable cleanish sound for a strat neck PU. OMFG. Literally every sound (and switch and knob) imaginable besides the right one. I spent three songs going back and forth trying to dial out that nasal honk. Terrible.

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
Lots of disappointment for the mesa boogies in this thread. I've never owned one, but I remember an article I read about Soundgarden using dual rectifiers on the Superunknown album and struggling to get the right sound out of the overdrive channel. Finally they tried the normal channel cranked and that was it.

My experience with the Boogies I've owned is that they have MANY MANY tones in them and you have to have an understanding of amps, and patience to dial in ones that please you and then some of the best tones anywhere are available. They have had probably 100 different models so I'm no expert but I've owned the Studio22 a long time ago, a Mark III a few years back and a Tremoverb for over 20 years. That's only 3 out of 100.. (I've also used briefly a Blue Angel and loved it) They had unreal tones, but if you're a simple Fender/Marshall type of guy and don't have much intuiton or patience I wouldn't recommend them I guess. To me though I'd love many more Boogies! (just don't need more amps as I'm max'd out with many)

Eric

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom