Amps you regret buying

Maguchi

For me, it's my roland JC-120. It has a lot of hiss, and I never use it. Plus, it weighs more than a marine mammal. I could have bought a nice used low watt tube combo for what I paid for it, and I regret buying it. I started with a Roland Cube 30 when I was a kid, and thought it would be a useful studio tool, but it doesn't work very well with most od pedals, being that it is solid state.

Any amp purchases you regret?
Yamaha THR-10. A slick salesman talked me into it. I love Yamaha stuff, so I tried really hard to like it. However it turned out to be one a the worst sounding amps I ever played. Couln't get rid of it fast enough.

That said, I love Yamaha guitars both acoustic and electric, Yamaha pianos, electronic keyboards, mixers, sound reinforcement speakers. Just never found a Yamaha guitar amp I liked.

Speedbump61

Gold Supporting Member
War, you didn’t really state why you got rid of the amp, though it sounded like it was due to reliability, And couldn’t tell if you had an actual problem , if you felt that it might because of the construction. The reason why people might want to know this is that it might help them to make a decision about a product, if they were considering it. Not that anyone should or shouldn’t buy anything based solely on my opinion, it might help them in their process. I wouldn’t assume anyone is attacking or that you’re in a position of needing to defend yourself over the questions.

War_in_D

War, you didn’t really state why you got rid of the amp, though it sounded like it was due to reliability, And couldn’t tell if you had an actual problem , if you felt that it might because of the construction. The reason why people might want to know this is that it might help them to make a decision about a product, if they were considering it. Not that anyone should or shouldn’t buy anything based solely on my opinion, it might help them in their process. I wouldn’t assume anyone is attacking or that you’re in a position of needing to defend yourself over the questions.

Point taken. Although I thought it was pretty clear that I got rid of it due to it being (what appeared to me) an extremely cheaply made amp. I had said in my original post that it didn't sound bad. If it had of, I wouldn't have traded for it in the first place and I never experience any problems with. I just wasn't happy with the overall quality of it once I had some time to really mess with it. I traded for it based on the internet hype around ENGL's and because I wanted to try it out. So, I did and I regretted doing that trade after it was all said and done. Hence why I posted my experience with it in this thread. Unless I totally missed the point, that's kind of what I thought we were all doing here.

There have been plenty of folks that have opinions on several amps contained with this thread that are different from mine, but I didn't feel the need to call them out on it. Different strokes for different folks, right? We don't all have to like the same thing. The amp I traded for the ENGL was leaps and bounds a better amp than it was, although it was at the opposite end of the spectrum (Suhr Bella Reverb head). It's really just that simple, I regretted doing that trade for the ENGL. I ended up trading it back to the guy I got it from for a Mesa Lonestar 2x12 combo, which IMHO was a much better amp. AND, it came from the factory with a foot switch. Imagine that! :D

Anomaly

I can tell you this..when it come to classic Rock and early metal, nothing out there touches the Soldano. I think some of you guys have an attitude about expensive amps. Remember this..I'm spending my money not yours. God knows I've worked hard enough and have earned it.
There are many amps that do metal better, but for classic rock to hard rock the SLO is right up there.

k9bill

There are many amps that do metal better, but for classic rock to hard rock the SLO is right up there.
I'm more of a Classic Rock and Blues player. but hey this thing nails Priest, Krokus and all the older stuff I love... it's right there. Also anther thing about this amp is how it feels under your fingers. That is something it has in common with the Suhr SL67. I also think that is some of what you're paying for.

Last edited:

Loudguitar

Fender Super Sonic 22. Terrible overdrive. replaced it with a Mesa Boogie Fillmore 50. Excellent clean and overdrive sounds on the clean setting. The Drive and Hi settings dump all of the bottom end. Yeah, I know, Randy designed it that way. For me, it is best to set one channel clean or at the edge of breakup and set the other one on clean with the gain maxed and use a pedal in front of it. That way you don't lose the bottom end. I like my Nobles ODR anyway. I love the amp and feel it is as top quality as you can get in a smaller combo package these days without spending $$$$.

k9bill

Mesa Boogie Fillmore 50. Excellent clean and overdrive sounds on the clean setting. Yeah, I know, Randy designed it that way. I love the amp and feel it is as top quality as you can get in a smaller combo package these days without spending $$$$.
I've heard videos of those amps and they sound really nice to me. I think it's name.. Fillmore is very fitting to the tone.

ScioBro

Regretted the arrowed items.
Still have bold items

Harmony 410

1955 Fender Pro,

1979 Twin Reverb JBL <<

1971 Super Reverb

SRRI <<

50W National Reliant 99

Mesa Boogie Studio 22 <<

Garnet 5P

HRDx Omega <<

Matchless Chieftain <<

Matchless Lightning

Matchless Spitfire

Matchless 30/15

1965 Bandmaster

1970 Bandmaster Reverb

1974 Traynor YBA-1 <<

Traynor YGM-3 <<

Stu Daddy Deluxe Reverb

DRRI <<

60's Fender 2x12 Cabinet

Peavey Classic 50 <<

Peavey Renown 400 <<

Silvertone 1448 amp in case

Harmony H304 <<

Gibson Vanguard <<

Alamo Fury 2544 <<

Baldwin 40

1959 Ampeg M-15 <<

Last edited:

geek-mo

Silver Supporting Member
Here are mine:
  • Peavey Classic VT Series
  • Peavey Bandit 65
  • Mesa Boogie Studio .22
  • Epiphone Valve Junior
I was very disappointed in these amps. However, I don't 'regret' buying them. My dissatisfaction with them led me on a journey that brought me to where I am today.

Hellzington

Double Platinum Member
Bought a JCM 2000 DSL (a later one without the bias drift issues) and it was absolutely heinous. Worst amp I've ever owned. I took it to a tech to see what he could do to make it sound better and he just said, "It sounds the way it's supposed to; this is the modern Marshall sound." Absolute trash. Bright, thin, fizzy, no dynamics, just brutal. There were some sounds on the green channel that were passable but wow, it was an awful amp. I think I only owned it two weeks before I resold it.

Radar

I wouldn't say I exactly regret buying this amp, but I have a Matchless ESS 1x12 that I cannot get to mic well. It sounds fine in the room but it is by far the worst cabinet ever for micing. One thing I am discovering is that some speakers sound better than others, even those of the same exact model. You can expect pedals to sound the same, mics to sound the same, even amps to sound the same. But the sound of each speaker varies. It's kind of crazy and doesn't help relieve gear anxiety in any way.

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
I found it too hard to dial in. Probably user error. Plus, I don't think it agreed with the guitar I was playing at the time (1991 PRS CE 22 Bolt on alder body).

I'm more of a set it and forget it type. Once I realized I could use a Fender DR as a clean platform and pedals for my dirt I've never looked back. YMMV.

I had a killer Mesa Boogie MK III Simulclass combo with graphic eq. Wow, could that amp sound unreal. . Wow was it loud .. .Wow was it hard to dial in compared to my normal amps. So yea I fully understand :)

p.s. the amp was in NO WAY a regretful purchase for me as it kicked ass once you learned how to dial it in , but I was just relating to what you said

Eric

maxbrothman

Line 6 Amplifi 150W. Too loud from what I wanted to do. I sold it to someone else who loved it.

I have disliked amps and pedals in my collection for years until I find out how I should have been using them and for what tones specifically. When that happens, everything about how much I dislike an amp can change fast. The fastest change is usually... using a different speaker. Greenback instead of V30 is usually the fix I need. So these days I am very careful about changing stuff and instead wait it out much more, maybe years more.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom