AMT Electronics SS-20/Tube Platinum

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by retrokid, Oct 7, 2008.

1. retrokid

retrokid Member

Hi:

It seems that there are not a lot of reviews concerning AMT Electronics pedals.

What do you guys think about the SS-20 and the Tube Platinum?

AMT SS-20:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ9YPcgWjaY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pcc1Ilo4Yg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULF2uPhO4rA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e26LZnAfZkE

This is about the best "non-official" demos I can find, but they're all by the same person.

Please chime in if you have experience regarding either pedal.
    I'm looking for a modern distortion that does modern rock, without going into the metal territory.
    From the clips, the SS-20 seems to have a good tweakability.

However, the SS-20 is very very costly, and I don't want to buy a pedal without playing it first, thus I made this post.

Do you guys also think that the Tube Platinum to be a good contender?

Thank you guys in advance! :AOK

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  2. retrokid

retrokid Member

I guess AMT Electronics pedals are really not that popular in North America?

3. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

I've got the California Sound. It does a rectified tone very well. It does what they claim. I am trying to bond with it using single coils. It is noisy as can be expected.

4. rockford

rockford Member

does the california sound fat ? I think I tried one of the metal ones, would have liked the california or british, I think better.

5. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

I heard it with a set of buckers and it was way fat compared to my strat.

pm sent

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I have a tube platinum and it sounds great for high gain stuff. I think it's more metal than modern rock but I haven't spent a lot of time with it.

7. Rick1114

Rick1114 Member

I have an AMT Tube Platinum. I would say this pedals excel at practice and recording because you can get a very hot saturated sound at low volumes. I don't know how they do it but It has great string to string definition and nice crunchy sound with so much gain going on - not too many pedals can pull that off. The tube adds a bit of realism to the sound and it's not harsh at all. I would say it's great if you want a Satriani, Vai, Van Halen sound. Great for drop D tuning as well!

Stay away if you are looking for a "looser" high gain sound (this pedal stay tight and crunchy), and it also doesn't get "thick" sounding when soloing. It really could have used a mid knob for that. But if you want to sound like the people I listed above, that is not their sound, but I would have liked that personally. All in all the best pedal I've heard at practice volumes for that sound.

8. retrokid

retrokid Member

That is a very detailed review! Thank you for sharing this wealth of information!

Big thanks to everyone else as well!

However, I guess not a lot of people have AMT SS-20 here, which makes me think twice before dropping $400-$500 on something that I haven't heard at all...

What do you guys think of the clips I posted?

9. retrokid

retrokid Member

One last bump before I let this thread sink...

A search on "tube platinum" only yielded one relevant result.

I guess people can reference to this thread in the future...thanks!

10. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

I've had 3 AMT pedals over the last 5 years.

First was the Fatal Tube.
    It was Sabbath-in-a-box, but could be made to do Priest,Maiden,GnR,etc.
    The gain had a nice fat crunch, but it seemed to be eq'd towards that Sabbath sound.

Then I had a Du Hast (formerly Rammstein).
    If you want a chest-thumping super heavy gain pedal this will do it in spades. Thick, heavy, chugga chugga modern whump a-plenty!

Now I'm running the California, and it's honestly better & quieter than many "Mesa" pedals I've tried, including both Tube Zone versions, G2D Morpheus, Rocktron Zombie, H&K Warp Factor, etc.

I play Gibsons through a Peavey Heritage VTX 2x12 set to slight crunch.
    The AMT pedals are a good bang-for-buck step above GC brands. I Like the small square 3" (approx) footprints, the tight control pots, the soft-click footswitch. The California gets a smooth heavy Rectifier sound, and plays good with my other drives. Doesn't clean up well at the guitar, but that's not why it's on my board.

11. retrokid

retrokid Member

Thank you for your valuable advice! I guess it's probably not worth it to spend $400-$500 on SS-20, which I'll never be able to demo...(If I have to spend that much, I'd rather spend it on Honeybee...)

12. joekz

joekz Member

i got amt ss20 ,,n its a cool pedal,basicly its a preamp in a little box,the tone is so damn cool,but i don't like it when it goes to return of my jcm 900 head,,so much treble n harshness,,but if the output of the cab sim goes to return sound much better,like combo amp tone,,,its a great preamp pedal anyway,,for direct recording its sound ssosoooooo good!!