AMT Japanese Girl Wah...pros & cons??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by The Flint, Feb 7, 2014.

1. The Flint

The Flint Member

Hi, can anyone please tell me more about
    AMT Japanese Girl Wah ??
    Is it good with dirt and other effects ???
    ...something like pros & cons

thanks

2. ufo~

ufo~ Member

It is extremely fuzz/dirt friendly, has 3 adjustable ranges that all sound great, a pretty decent sweep for such a small pedal. The only con, for some, may be it's size. It's tiny and can take a few minutes to get used to under foot. But once you've dialed it in, it sounds killer.

3. The Flint

The Flint Member

4. Mufftastic

Mufftastic Member

I just sold mine in december, FWIW.

Pros:
    I liked the size and physical feel of it.
    The 3-way range switch was great.
    It sounded fantastic with clean tones.
    It has a nice switching system and is built like a tank.

Cons:
    All optical ways have a weird sweep to me. I found that there was only a small range of motion that produced tones I wanted.

I sold if just because of the sweep and also because I am not a big wah user. If I found myself in a cover band that needed a lot of wah, I'd probably buy it again even with the less-than-ideal sweep. But if you hate the sound of optical wahs then you won't like the AMT. If it's not an issue, then go for it.

5. the recluse

the recluse Member

I've had one for about a year and I love it! Sounds very good to me in my set up (Tubemeister 36 & Nova System). My only complaints are it was tricky to mount on my board and the rubber grips on top started peeling a little.

6. taco-man

taco-man Supporting Member

I like mine as well. The three-way switch is handy. I usually use the setting
    that is similar to a crybaby, I guess. For more vocal sounds, I'll use the middle setting.

I agree about the pedalboard mounting thing. I took off the feet, but
    there are still two screws that stick out, so is high-centered. I took a piece
    of wood and cut two wedges out of that to make room for the screws. The
    wood is mounted to the pedalboard and the wah is mounted to that. It
    sticks up higher now, but I like that, since it allows the wah (and my foot) to
    operate above everything else.

The rubber grip on top of my pedal came off right away. I had to glue it.

7. Robm422

Robm422 Member

Love mine, went through a vox, crybaby, rmc picture wah, then got this, haven't been tempted by another wah since.

8. juansolo

juansolo Member

Pros - Sounds brilliant, works with fuzzes, takes up a tiny amount of space.
    Cons - Possibly too small...

9. rck

rck Supporting Member

True bypass or buffered?

10. kev324

kev324 Supporting Member

I love mine. I have the little loudmouth as well, just not on my board. While my Crybaby sounds better, for what little I use wah, it's perfect. Tried a couple of the smaller Morleys but the AMT is smaller and sounds better to my ears. I did something similar as an above poster. Took the feet off and stuck a couple 3mil PVC shims with a little notch for the screws. Velcro on the bottom side and it's board ready.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

11. ((TechnicolorSkyline))

((TechnicolorSkyline)) Supporting Member

All pros for me when I had one.

Only con I can see is some seem to have a loud "pop" when engaged, or people that can't adapt to the small size.

12. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

No cons here…

Love it.

13. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Supporting Member

I like mine. I'm not a big wah user, so it's either something small or no wah at all. I think it sounds fine, but the sweep is a little "peaky" - pretty fast transition, not much middle ground. I suppose, since it is optical, that might be something one could mod somehow. Anyone?

Also, as others say, the two screws holding the enclosure together are not flush, and make it wobbly when mounted on a board with velcro. I got some flat head screws from the hardware store, and it's better, but still not flat.

Otherwise, thumbs up.

14. Hugh DaMann

Hugh DaMann Member

Yup!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. taco-man

taco-man Supporting Member

Here's a tip: place your foot on it so that your heel is on the pedal and your toes are
    hanging off. This way, the travel will feel similar to a normal-sized wah pedal.

NamaEnsou and Black_Label like this.
  16. Leftyman

Leftyman Gold Supporting Member

I thought it was a great pedal. Small footprint, good build quality and sounded great. The only fault I could find with it would be being that it is a small footprint, it took a little getting use to with the rocker. Ultimately, I sold it because I really don't use wah all that much and I have had my old trusty Dunlop Classic wah forever.

17. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

the only con for me is that I always turn it off accieentally when rocking forward. its so small

18. Pao

Pao Member

PROS - It was great! It sounded amazing and all three settings are awesome. It doesn't take up much space. Is optical so no scratchy pots. The pedal isn't small enough that it's hard to use.

CONS - The sweep isn't that good. It jumps way too fast. If you're just doing the waka-waka kinda wah sound, it's fine. But if you wanna do the slow sweep standard car-chase sound, it's kinda hard to do.

19. XiXora

XiXora Member

Is the sweep issue people have the same on their volume pedals too?

I was looking at their new EX-50 to control a Wah on the Mobius instead.

20. ManhattanBlue

ManhattanBlue Member

Hi all. Bumping old thread :D but i'm having issues to stick it to the pedalboard. Has somebody found a solution to saving the height of the screws without replacing them or sticking some material to the bottom?
    Thanks in advance!