Amway

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by paul1122, Aug 3, 2018.

1. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I used to have two friends that now sell Amway.

:D

2. Boundcustom

Boundcustom Member

The mutha Frs will never just let you buy some disinfectant spray from them. No I don't want to sell your crap but I am happy to just buy something from you like a little leaguer with a candy bar. But nooooooooooooooo they won't stop trying to make me sell. I really lost it on the last prick that tried to Scamway me.

So I am guessing OP that either you were trolling at first or you really understand Amway is total BS. Stay away from it and do not let any friend try their hand at it.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    Scrapperz likes this.
  3. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

Friends don't let friends sell or buy Amway.

4. HugoTheCat

HugoTheCat Member

Run away. It’s highly distasteful to use family and friends for bucks.

Kyle B, MrAstro, Lef T and 3 others like this.
  5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I tried to tell my Amway-enthusiast friend about my parents' experience with Amway, but he shrugged it off & claimed things were different now.
    Well, it turns out they were exactly as they always were!

Scrapperz and Lef T like this.
  6. MoPho

MoPho Pho Shizzle

The operative questions on a scheme like this are:

1) When do I make a return on my time?
    2) How much of my soul do I have to sell to get to #1?

There is no such thing as a get rich scheme. Enormous time/funds and/or significant risk are always involved. A co-worker hit me up on a life insurance MLM scheme and I immediately told him to never bring it up again.

7. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Member

Back in the 90s a guitarist friend asked me to attend a meeting with him and it turned out to be something called "Fund America." On the way there, he started asking these weird questions like what my monetary goals were and what was my dream car. He then told me he was going to buy a red Ferrari within six months then buy a house within a year. That's where I got the hint as to where we were headed. Well I sat through the "meeting" and then we went to a coffee shop where he laid out his finances and business plan on a paper napkin. The crazy thing was, his expenditures were more than he was taking in each month and when I asked how he was making money, he kept pointing to what he was taking in and telling me that's how much he was making, despite the amount he was spending was almost $400 more than he was bringing in each month.

:messedup

8. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Reminds me of a family member who wanted to revamp a house completely to make it hospitable for multiple renters.
    The ROI was about only about 25 years, based on the rent expected & the cost of remodeling.

fretless and Scrapperz like this.
  9. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Good advice. So many people have tried to recruit me for Amway, it's laughable. :facepalm

Scrapperz and Kyle B like this.
  10. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

What and the company you work for doesn't have a CEO, President, etc. with 20 or more employees that they are making money off of? EVERY successful company makes money off of the employees or they aren't successful. With Amway you're in business for yourself - remember the entrepreneurial mindset I talked about? I'm guessing your don't have it. You have to build a business to make money - just like in the real world. Again, talk to anyone who is in business for themselves. It aint easy. It takes time to build a successful business if you succeed at all. And it often takes a ton of money to get started. What's a Subway Franchise go for these days? $100K, $200K? If you spent that kind of money to start a business how hard are your going to work for it? You're gonna bust your ass to make that business successful. You're gonna work like your life depends on it - because it does. That's the problem with Amway, it doesn't cost $100K to get started so most people don't treat it seriously. They treat it with a job mentality at best (probably more like a hobby) and fail miserably. Guess what? If you treated that Subway franchise the same way you'd fail miserably as well.

Scrapperz likes this.
  11. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

One of the guys in my H.S. class tried to pull a MLM meeting on us all. He invited us over to his place for a pre-reunion get-together.
    I was dubious about it when he was offering free steaks & booze & then the word got out. Everyone canceled & he came to the reunion kind of sheepishly.

12. paul1122

paul1122 Member

Wow. I just thought it was people selling stuff. I don’t want to support it if it’s weirdo crap.

I’ve had a couple of friends over the years sell me things ( water filter, knives). I bought them and they were pretty good products. However, it was a one time sale.

It’s my brother’s son who wants to work for Amway. I’ll talk to my brother obout it tomorrow.

13. Jacobite_Rebellion

Jacobite_Rebellion Member

With a little cult thrown in.

HugoTheCat likes this.
  14. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

No knowledge of Amway, but my wife and I briefly sold Melaleuca which is similar but apparently not too similar. No mandatory training or need to buy anything more than your monthly supply of stuff and yearly membership fee. Their cleaning products & other consumables were far and away better than anything else we found in stores. Not a single gripe about the products.

Now, on the other hand, the people we signed-up under were all about "get your friends, co-workers, anyone to attend these meetings" and were really pushy. We got a bad vibe off of it. My wife and I were more like "If you guys want to check out some good products, let us know" and didn't do anything about the pressuring. We certainly did NOT call-up old friends who we hadn't spoken to in a while to hit them up (like has been mentioned in this thread). To me that shows a complete lack of tact.

Long story short, we hit a few "bonus milestones" and made a few thousand dollars our first year. Again, the only money we sunk in to the program was our monthly purchase amount (which was about $60.00-$80.00 depending on what you bought, as it's based on product points) and the $29.95 yearly membership fee which was once a year.

We don't try to sell it anymore but we still buy our monthly consumables from them and we still thoroughly enjoy them. Seriously, they are good products and completely child-safe/environmental friendly. They have an "empty bottle" guarantee where you can use the entire supply and still send back the empty bottle for a full refund of any product. Because people underneath us still buy we still get a check for anywhere between $80.00-$100.00 per month which is nice residual income when we aren't actively working the program.

FWIW the people we signed-up under have made almost $10 million from it. No BS, they readily show their commission check stubs and total yearly earnings (as the company issues 1099's for the amounts) to anyone that asks.

They are good people but really don't have any friends outside of their Melaleuca circles. I always get the feeling from them that if you aren't buying from them they aren't interested in you. Always looking for the next sale. I can definitely see a cult vibe with this company, especially with their annual meetings and smaller regional meetings at different hotels.

It can work but there is a rightway to do things as well as a wrong way.

Scrapperz likes this.
  15. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

Thanks for sharing that cause I haven't heard hide nor hair of Amway in years but always felt as a kid it was more like my dad buying products for himself to use but way too much of it, lol.

You have solidified my previous thoughts on it and my modern view of it is I might as well just go to a place like Costco and "overbuy" stuff. :D

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  16. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

Sounds like a happy story.

Seems to me that once people who want to be friends mix business in the relationship becomes diluted.

crambone likes this.
  17. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

The name DeVos ring a bell? Takes a lot of soap to pay for 10 or 20 yachts. Van Andel also....the folks that made Ground Rabbits, MI famous or infamous.

18. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

It's what you make of it. Back when we actively worked it (we were in a very dire shape financially) it was fulfilling and helped make ends meet. Now that I have a better job (to where my wife doesn't have to work) we pretty much left it on the wayside. Still get those checks, lol.

Scrapperz likes this.
  19. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

How to get rich: Hire 20k people with a salary of $0, no insurance, benefits, office, not even a phone. Then require them to spend 2k per year on your stuff.

fretless and Fred Farkus like this.
  20. stevemc

stevemc Member

this is a business for morons and con men.stay far away.

fretless, JK1965, cutaway and 2 others like this.