An afternoon of insanity - Post rock madness!

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by adamquek, Oct 5, 2006.

1. adamquek

adamquek Member

Hi guys,

A friend of mine came over this afternoon with something he wanted to record. 10 hours (and an angry girlfriend) later, this is what we got. It's a very rough mix but hopefully I'll be able to get it to sound better :)

http://members.iinet.net.au/~adamquek/idka.mp3

2. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

I dig it. Like the time signature changes. Reminds me of Polvo. Sounds like it could easily have taken 10 hours to get it down(!) In fact, you may have gotten off easy with that. The swirly pads may be a little hot, kinda distracting, but thats what the impending 10 hour mix session is for. Warn your girlfriend.

3. adamquek

adamquek Member

LOL thanks for checking it out Soli, me and her have made peace :D

Yeah my friend who wrote the song is more of a "feel" type guitarist. When he showed me all the ideas he had it took some time for me to figure out the time signiatures and tempo changes, and then do up the drums with MIDI. After that, figuring out what we could play over that weird stuff took a whole other chunk of time. Probably the most time was spent on the weird clean section in the middle. 7/4 7/4 7/4 6/4 was what we narrowed it down to, but then he had this idea of having the drum groove keep going while the guitar switched to a straight ahead vibe. I spent some time trying to figure out what the lowest common denominator of 16 and 27 was, and in the end I said screw it and cut off the last beat of the 3rd repeat to make it an even 80 beats before we switched back to 4/4 :p As tedious as it was though, it was a whole lot of fun. Not to mention a whole lot of practice. I may avoid that 10 hour mix session by getting someone else to do it for me, I'm quite clueless when it comes to anything other than tracking heh.

Incidentally, guitars used were a mexican Fender tele for the rhythm parts, and a Soloway for most of the leads and synthy stuff.

PS: Just though I'd add a little bit more about the creative experience. I was quite in over my head as I almost never listen to this sort of music, but heck, my momma always said I should try new things :D