an alternative to a Line6 DL4 delay-looper

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Spaceman3, May 8, 2016.

1. Spaceman3

Spaceman3 Member

Hi there,

I was wondering if someone can recommend me a pedal that had a smaller board footprint than the Lin6DL4 and offers a better looper with a long delay time. I am getting sick of the size of the DL4 and am looking for something smaller with a similar or better functionality, and a longer looper than the crappy 14 seconds of the DL4.

Thanks

2. Nickisnthumming

Nickisnthumming Member

You might want to check out the TC flashback x4. I believe the looper gives you about 40 seconds. I'd say that my old DL-4 sounded a bit better, but the flashback has some great tones in it, and the switches alone almost make it a better buy than a DL-4. Though it's not much, if any smaller.

3. jes89

jes89 Member

Strymon timeline? 30 second looper. Same looper functionality with a multiswitch for reverse and half speed.

4. Spaceman3

Spaceman3 Member

Thanks for the replies, the Flashback X4 was the one I was looking at, but alas it has almost the same footprint size..I"m really trying to get more space on the pedal board...

5. chrisross

chrisross Supporting Member

If I remember right from my DL4 days, theres a trick where you use the half speed function to record 28 seconds instead of 14.

wrightdude likes this.
  6. Spaceman3

Spaceman3 Member

yeah but the loop is at half speed

7. chrisross

chrisross Supporting Member

I'm saying I think theres a way to trick the DL4 into thinking it's in half speed mode when you record it, so you get a normal speed 28 second loop. It's been years and years since I had one though.

8. Spaceman3

Spaceman3 Member

9. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

A dedicated looper (Ditto is incredibly small, JamMan Express is fairly small too) and almost any mid sized delay would be a smaller footprint than either the Line 6 or the Flashback X4. I realize that's two pedals in place of one but I've always had better luck with a standalone looper pedal (even one with almost no features) than a looper mode on a delay pedal. YMMV.

Plus, then you could then try out almost any delay without it needing to have a looper feature.

10. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

wouldn't just about anything be better than the line 6? isn't that like 15 year old tech?

11. lavinci

lavinci Member

NUX Timecore
    while not well known here in the west.
    Nux... the delay sounds very good.
    looper too

12. plextasy

plextasy Member

You'd think so but the DL4 still holds its own.

Flouncingfleasbag and Lution like this.
  13. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

the dl4 sounded fine in that video. have you ever had one freak out on you? i have. it's pretty exciting. the footswitches are dodgy and the pedal overall is a bit fragile for my everyday use. i would take a timeline or a timefactor over the dl4 any day of the week.

14. tangleweird

tangleweird Member

I'm not sure you'll find the functionality of a dl4 in a smaller package. Unless you don't need the dedicated buttons for recording, start/stop, one shot trigger, and the reverse/half speed.

For me that's why I love the dl4 and what makes it such a useable tool. Sorry this wasn't very helpful.

Flouncingfleasbag likes this.
  15. kowalski440

kowalski440 Member

Agreed. Timeline destroys it in every way.
    I'm in the camp that had two of these pedals freak out in 10 days. Both had bad switches. One was straight away out of the box and the other took two days before it too crapped the bed.
    No offense to dl4 usres that have had good experiences. I know this pedal is beloved by many. But my impression of Line6 is that they DON'T care if people think their products are junk or outdated either. All about the bottom line with them.
    Even more so now that they are owned by Yamaha. Consumers be damned. :dunno

16. plextasy

plextasy Member

I agree that the Timeline sounds cleaner and "better" but not by a huge margin. I wouldn't say it destroys the DL4. I sold my DL4 a few years back to buy the X4 but never went through with it. I currently have a DIG which I love and am planning on buying a looper as well. I think about the Timeline now and then to get delay and looper all in one unit but I don't think I'd be happy without with the ability to store and recall loops.

My DL4 never freaked out on me but I did have to do a hard reset on the thing once. My buddy's X4 however did have footswitch issues. I'm glad I didn't go that route. Not a big fan of the post-Nova era TC stuff.

17. GravityJim

GravityJim Member

That is just about the silliest thing I've read on these fora. I don't think the way to a healthy bottom line is to make ****** products and ignore customer complaints.

18. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

This thread came from before you were even a member... why bring it back up?

19. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

What other loopers do the "fade out" as you overdub more parts?
    (from the Line6 DL4 manual: "With each pass of recording in overdub mode, the already-recorded sound gets a little quieter, eventually fading away entirely")

I've never owned one partly because I often read about the crummy switches, failures, volume drop etc. but this fade out feature seems very useful.

I found this in the Timefactor manual: "Fdbk A / Loop Decay Rate: The Decay Rate control allows the saved audio to fade as you dub new material. The Decay Rate is adjustable from 0% [DCY: 0] to 100% [DCY:100]. When set to 0%, the loop never decays. When set to 100% the previously saved audio decays completely each time through the loop when dubbing. In other words, the looped audio is only played once. The Loop Decay Rate control has no effect on normal Playback, only dubbing."

So it sounds like the Timefactor might do it but I wonder what happens with the Decay Rate on the Timefactor set somewhere between 0%-100%?

(Also the Timefactor is like $250 used... are there any less expensive loopers that do this decay or fade?)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018