• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

An art form I don't really appreciate

SigXer

I find this strange. I am a musician, so I create sounds that might inspire people to dance, but I don't have much respect for dancing as an art form. I understand that it can take a lot of talent and practice to become good at, but it just doesn't do anything for me and I don't really understand it (not to mention that I suck at it). Any of you in the same boat?

Celticdave

Seeker
Platinum Supporting Member
I've always personally felt that there was art in dancing. The connection between music and the body is what fuels the fire brother.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
I understand that it can take a lot of talent and practice to become good at, but it just doesn't do anything for me and I don't really understand it (not to mention that I suck at it).
None of this, to me, is a valid reason to neither appreciate nor respect an art form.

For example, I can respect and appreciate curling as a sport despite my feeling essentially the same about it as you do about dance.

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
I don't really understand it
...maybe your answer's in your post...
You've invested time in understanding music - perhaps invest more into understanding movement/dance - ?

Ignorance is bliss? (musing aloud... not judging... YMMV, etc...)

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
I find this strange. I am a musician, so I create sounds that might inspire people to dance, but I don't have much respect for dancing as an art form. I understand that it can take a lot of talent and practice to become good at, but it just doesn't do anything for me and I don't really understand it (not to mention that I suck at it). Any of you in the same boat?
There is no reason that dance SHOULD appeal to you. It simply art. It appeals to some and not to others.

It certainly should command your respect especially since you're aware that you're not good at it. It's not easy. It's damn hard.

Dance is an amazingly beautiful art form that you simply don't relate to.

Fair enough.

Rumblefish

I had a wonderful relationship with a female dance choreographer long time ago.I composed and recorded some original music for some of her dances.While it was great fun to see the dances performed to my music,the most fun was with her and her amazing dancer's body.She taught me a lot about the art of dance.Still,it's just not my thing.It's a great idea for a date to go see some dance live.Women love dance.
I did see Paco Delucia with a flamenco band including a singer who danced.Very masculine and powerful.Best dance I ever saw.Really really cool.

?&!

I was flipping through the channels last year, and stopped on a girl auditioning for "So You Think You Can Dance?". The performance she gave was so beautiful that it brought me to tears. I got it, at least on that night.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
I dig dance. I've seen a few ballets (Romeo & Juliet; Nutcracker, etc.), and also dig modern dance (Alvin Ailey, Hubbard Street). I personally think it's a tremendous art form, and also think the dancers are uncanny athletes.

JamonGrande

On one hand...to be rather frank about my own insecurities I guess...dancers freak me out. They are SO in touch with their own bodies and space, in a way that I can't do myself. Having worked in some improvisational situations with dance troupes, I tense up when they try to interact in my space. Sorry, this rug I'm standing on is my safe place, and there's only room for my body there.

On the other hand, dance can truly be unbelievable. I was involved with some research that was featured in the LA Times about dancers. THe ways they could move their bodies, the wide range of phrases developed, and the TOTAL control they would demonstrate was just as good as any top-class musical performance. It has been an honor to be involved (though I was struggling the whole time with the ethnography itself). So much of the art is about geometries (bodily or imagined) in a space. Ballet, modern, etc... all have very different approaches to this idea.

joe

Bassomatic

Two words: Mark Morris.

A brilliant and extremely musical choreographer - completely changed my take on the dance thing.

Motorhed

I appritiate the artform and what people who are good at it put into it to get that way but I'll never understand why people feel the need to go out and get drunk/stoned and convulse like having some kind of fit without any rythm to computer generated music or somebody scratching a record back and forth. I'm sorry but that I can't see any art or talent in.

JamonGrande

but rob, isn't there something that just FEELS great about shaking to music, regardless of style? Headbanging, some mambo, a little Mediterranean style circle dancing... Some people just like moving to a pounding bass like in electronica, or bouncing to a hip hop groove.

there just happen to be people who take it further (the artform part) that goes way beyond anything we can do ourselves.

completely random, recent occurrence. After a set as part of a band showcase, the trumpet player in our funk ensemble does the worm from one side of the stage to the other. HILARIOUS! By far the high point of the whole evening (was far more interesting than the guy on stage at the time).

joe

SigXer

None of this, to me, is a valid reason to neither appreciate nor respect an art form.

For example, I can respect and appreciate curling as a sport despite my feeling essentially the same about it as you do about dance.
Alright, so perhaps I used the wrong adjective to describe my thoughts about dancing. I have respect for it in the sense that I know some people love it as much as I love music and there is a great deal of talent required to be a good dancer, it just doesn't make any sense to me. I suppose the same sorts of things that motivate me to play music are the same sorts of things that might incline someone to want to dance, but I can't really say I've ever had that inclination. Based on the popularity of dance related TV shows, I guess I must be in the minority.

The Captain

I have to admit, the only reality TV show I have really enjoyed was "So You Think You Can Dance". Some of teh performaces on that were quite superb, and very emotional.
That said, using the single word "dance " to encompass the many styles and forms is liking lumping rap, blues, shred and classical etc into one pile called "music" and then trying to make meaningful comment.
Dancing is very hard and alien to a non-dancer, like singing. Very personal and exposing and easy to ridicule, so it brings out all our insecurities and fears of shame.
So, it's safer to stay on wall in the comfort zone.
Girls practice dancing in their rooms a lot you know, like guys do guitar or drums. To dance, you need to learn some moves. Then you will surely get it.
Learnign some basci dance moves can groove up your guitar more than a bit though.

Trending Topics