An example of why some people might think Gibson gouges the consumer.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 70' s Tone, Jul 26, 2019.

1. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Supporting Member

True. When you calculate the optimal profit-maximizing price (which is never the whole story if you're thinking strategically) you sometimes find that it prices out a huge chunk of your potential market.

2. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

Bossanova likes this.
  3. CaptainCrunch137

CaptainCrunch137 Member

It may cost them a dollar to produce it, but the packaging probably costs like $5. And then you have the distribution costs. Its costs Nike maybe a few dollars to make $100 pair of shoes. But by the time it gets to the store the pair of shoes cost them $50.

4. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

Reliced

Hackdog69 likes this.
  5. Robert Libutti

Robert Libutti Member

I think there are a few things going on. Yeah, I've clenched my B-hole seeing the prices on this stuff before. When I bought my 2014 LP Studio, they were using that nasty caramel brown plastic. I went to get Stew Mac parts, they cost a fraction of the Gibson stuff...and didn't even remotely fit. Cut completely incorrectly. So I paid shipping, return shipping, then bought standard Gibson stuff from Sweetwater, popped right on. Also, sometimes the real parts are just of better material. The cheaper stuff is often a weird waxy type plastic. I worked at Best Buy in high school and our employee discount was 5% above cost. So stuff like PCs, TVs, CDs, video games, etc. (really a good portion of the product); you might save $.50 on a CD, $2 on a PS (original haha) game. I think on a $1000 computer, I saved about $30. All the money is made in accessories and services, and a few areas like speakers. I got a $10 USB cable for $1.80. My $100 car speakers+4 year warranty+installation cost me $60. So I would guess that Gibson is recovering costs on plastic widgets.

6. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Related, charging three grand or more for a guitar that has poor fret work, unadjusted truss rod, crappy intonation and file marks on the binding is ludicrous.

On almost every factory Gibson I have seen you need to spend $150+ out of the box for s set up. This includes Historic guitars. You don't need to do that on a fender or a PRS....

7. Hackdog69

Hackdog69 Supporting Member

I’m no Gibson fanboy buy any stretch, grew up on fenders, then PRS.. I Recently bought a few Gibson’s. A 2014 SG (NOS) 2018 SG, and a 2018 R9,
    Your statement is simply not accurate in my experience, none on them needed anything but the gauge strings I use, slight intonation adjustment, and setting the action where I like it... didn’t cost a dime.
    And frankly I thought the SG’s where a great value for the cost...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    MusicalMan likes this.
  8. Riq

Riq Member

I feel like this is a dealer responsibility also. Guitars get shipped, sit in warehouses and go through so many environmental changes in the early on. If a 3k+ guitar has any of those issues I have more of an issue with the dealer selling them rather than the builder.

9. Spooky Action

Spooky Action Member

I bought a customized one with anything I wanted cut into it for $20.

10. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane apolitical Silver Supporting Member

Odd. My 2013 '61RI has a plain black one. I was shorted. I must investigate further.

11. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Gibson Geezer Silver Supporting Member

Mine is the Sideways Vibrato version, maybe that's why?

12. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane apolitical Silver Supporting Member

13. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Homermobile

[​IMG]

OldHootOwl likes this.
  14. twotone

twotone Member

If it were me I'd just buy a blank bell-shaped truss rod cover that would fit a Gibson.

15. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

16. OldHootOwl

OldHootOwl Member

This doesn't work as a defense of Gibson but it makes perfect sense as an exhortation to everyone to please be better consumers and not pay Gibson prices.

New Agensi video: Gouge Authentic

This is accurate insofar as Cadillac is a poorly aging legacy brand that used to represent the finest in desirable luxury automobiles but now is understood to be overpriced, relatively poor quality with shoddy QC from a poorly managed company that continues to exist for 20th century nostalgia purposes only.

Boogie92801 and lizardking like this.
  17. Bogner

Bogner Member

You need those terms at that price...lol.

18. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Silver Supporting Member

Last week I gleefully paid $7 for a bucket of butter-drenched popcorn so yeah, I'm out of this "the price is too damn high" conversation. :p

19. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Dude, one puny little trussrod cover, instead of seven whole buckets of popcorn???!!!! Get your mind right.

20. pup tentacle

pup tentacle Silver Supporting Member

I'm wasn't saying they don't charge Porsche prices, it's just that the consistency and QC aren't there. No one has to test drive multiple brand new 911s to find a good one.