an honest question about animals an health expense.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dave Shoop, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

After losing my Golden I waited a long time to get another dog. Tried to adopt one but it didn't work out. The breed I love has health concerns. I did a lot of research and ended up selecting an English Creme Golden Retriever. There are many who feel the European version has a lower rate of cancer and other health issues. I'm not 100% convinced but I'm going with it. The breeder I chose also is very convinced that health issues in all dogs are significantly related to GMO's and dog nutrition. I've done some reading about this as well. It makes sense to me and I'm also going to follow her recommendations hoping it will improve the odds in health issue avoidance.

In the end like humans there are no guarantees and it's a crap shoot.

I visit a facebook pages related to the breeds and have noticed quite a few dogs having medical problems and bills that are outrageous. I also see this trend of people using gofundme and other methods to get help in paying the bills which can run into the 6 digits. The last story had the bill at over 10M. The dog made it home and 6 thousand was donated by strangers. Amazing.

I am deciding whether pet insurance might be the responsible thing to do. It can be expensive to insure a puppy and the breed impacts the cost. $40.00 a month approx.

I think it is a shame that people have to make a decision to let an animal go because the bills are so high.

How many here purchased pet insurance to help pay bills ?

I'm not comfortable with the gofundme approach but I also know I would do everything I could to save my dog if his quality of life was going to be good..

Insurance ? Do you have it ?

2. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

No I don't.

I do not believe pets are disposable, and become a part of the family, but I'm not willing to bankrupt the family over vet bills. My wife has an animal science degree and co-owned a vet clinic for 28 years. She has all sorts of stories both ways. Too many put down for little or no reason, and people going into massive debt to pay for procedures they had to refer out because they didn't do that higher level treatment.

My MIL raises and shows collies. She also donates some to the Wounded Warrior project. She never takes out health insurance. Her vet bills are part of doing biz and are figured into the price when she sells pups.

3. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I love animals but have trouble understanding how people spend thousands and thousands of dollars to buy a few months.

4. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Do vets work with you in a payment plan or do you have to pay up front for a very expensive procedure ? My dogs experiences were manageable but I can see being put in a bad position.

A few months ...... no

5. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

I have medical insurance for a cockatoo - costs me £18 (~$30) a month but it's worth it for piece of mind if anything happened to her. I always scoffed at getting my cat insured, right up to the point she developed an eye condition that set me back £2000 - that was an expensive lesson to learn.

The alternative is seeing money aside as an emergency fund, but I think insurance is the better option - it's there from the start and it can take a long time to accumulate savings big enough to deal with a serious illness.

6. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

This^^^

Losing a beloved family pet is gut wrenching, so much so we almost didn't get another dog after ours passed back in 2011. Fast forward to now and we have a 4 year old dog we loved that we raised from a pup. If/when our dog has a life threatening medical issue we'll approach it reasonably depending on age and health of the dog.

7. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Hate to change the subject, but why do you focus specifically on purebred dogs? Mixed breeds tend to be healthier...plus, you're saving a dogs life when you rescue.

8. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Personal decision as are many decisions we make in life.

9. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Okay, no judgement from me. There are certainly benefits to knowing what to expect. Just wanted to throw that out there as an alternative to facing known health concerns.

10. mge80

mge80 Member

Incorrect assumption. And, there are many breed rescues out there (such as the one listed below) who are also "saving a dogs life".

Must be a magnificent view up there.

11. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Uncalled for. See post above yours.

12. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Emotions aren't logical and are hard to understand.

I have a hard time understanding why people will spend $500 to see a show that'll last 2h instead of putting that money somewhere else. Or buying a fancy car. Or getting a high-priced bottle of wine.

I'll never understand it and it doesn't matter. We all have different opinions on these topics and it's what makes life interesting. :)

13. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

Yeah. I guess it would be pointless to say "I'm not judging" because I am!

My sister spent $2000 on cancer surgery for a ferret that died 2 months later anyway. It's not my business, but I just can't understand it.

14. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

I've done a lot of reading about the specific breed and there are a wide range of views related to cancer and heredity in that specific breed. I would agree that "you don't know what you don't know" applies to me.

I tried to read as much as I could in an effort to make a reasonable decision but in the end I believe it is a crap shoot with dogs as it is with humans related to lifetime health prognosis. I do believe like it is with humans, we can improve the odds by healthy natural diet and exercise.

I'm not sure why you feel I'm so "confused" but I guess "I don't know what I don't know".

I did the best I could in gathering info. Now we will love the dog and give him what we feel is the best care we can.

I've read people who are highly educated in the field come up with conflicting opinions regarding the topic of breeding, diet and healthcare. I certainly couldn't debate with any of them.

I do believe GMO's and preservatives found in dog food could be part of the puzzle as well as feeding them things they don't naturally eat. That makes sense to me. I think over vaccination could also be part of the puzzle.

I guess I'm a UFO kook in the dog world. :crazyguy

15. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

this face is worth 10mil :)
    [​IMG]

full disclosure: I do not have 10mil

16. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Who is being quoted the dog or the human ?

The dog is magnificent.

17. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

Do you think of your pets as family or possession?

18. Jett

Jett Supporting Member

My family just lost our dog of 4 years yesterday to cancer. She was acting fine the week before last and went down hill very quickly. She went into the hospital this Saturday, found out on Monday she had lymphoma, died on her own Tuesday. She was our heart dog and our family is devastated. We did nothing over the top and still walked out with no dog and $2300 out of pocket. She was an awesome puppy, godspeed Maggie, you will always be with us.

19. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Sorry for your loss. $2,300 seems insane to me. I wonder how much a vet makes yearly compared to a cardiologist ( and I bet they don't have to deal with medical malpractice as much )

"With an average salary of $96,140 in 2013, veterinarians earned a healthy take-home pay for health care jobs. While they earned less than physicians ($188,440), they made about three times the pay of veterinary technologists ($31,760) in 2013. They made about the same average salary as physician assistants ($94,530)."

Vet surgeons 2008

According to the DVM News, the average salary for board certified veterinary surgeons was $183,902 in 2008, the second highest paying specialty (only finishing behind nutrition, a specialty with a strong average of $202,368 as many nutritionists are employed by major corporate entities).

I answered my own question bwaahaaa

20. mge80

mge80 Member

Well, you've certainly answered all my questions.:rolleyes:

So...disregard my previous posts.