An idea for Marshall

ajoep

What about a (footswitchable) two channel 20 watts combo (with a built in attenuator : 5 & 1 watts) ?
Channel 1 : JTM 45
Channel 2 : JCM 800
A shared tube driven Tremolo
Master volume
And of course, it should look like this :
Marshall%20Dream_zpsbehtnwoi.jpg

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
I would agree, lose the trem and give it TMB and presence.

But I think this already exists in the Dirty Shirley mini. Of course it would be nice if Marshall actually made the Marshall we all wanted.

bbaug14

Silver Supporting Member
The DS is single channel though. I think the point was two footswitchable channels. Then it'd be either clean or light crunch on the JTM side, and classic to 80s rock on the JCM side.

I had a custom Verellen that did this exact thing and had a footswitchable added gain stage on the JCM side for high gain. It was a monster amp. Honestly don't know why I sold it. GAS I guess.

If you were serious about having the feature set, you could go custom.

It's possible to do that with a DS40. The closest jtm and jcm settings are the low and high input on the lowest gain switch setting, respectively. That is footswitchable if you specify that..

And if you need modded jcm, a simple boost pedal would do that too, just as well, if you didn't want to touch the amp.

So I have no need for a footswitchable channel for those tones to be footswitchable.

Last edited:

ajoep

What's the problem whit the tremolo been included ?
Is it a matter of taste or something to do with the circuit ?

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
What's the problem whit the tremolo been included ?
Is it a matter of taste or something to do with the circuit ?
Tough to have a JCM 800 channel with only a volume and tone control. Get a pedal if you want tremolo

DiPa

Constant GAS
Silver Supporting Member
Actually Marshall builds a 30w JTM45 2245 head, they can modify this model and add the JCM800 in a second channel, remove tremolo, channel switch, add power scale to 20w and 10w, maintain the handwire on a turret board, and I am in.

ajoep

Get a pedal if you want tremolo
I already use pedals for that matter (a TR2 and a Diamond TRM-1). But i've found that built-in tremolos (especially when tube driven, think 1974x for example) sound better (at least to my ears).

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
I already use pedals for that matter (a TR2 and a Diamond TRM-1). But i've found that built-in tremolos (especially when tube driven, think 1974x for example) sound better (at least to my ears).
Well then to have a JTM and JCM two Channel amp plus built in tremolo would require more knobs than would fit in your example.

JCM800 circuit with only a tone control and volume control ain't gonna cut it.

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
But i've found that built-in tremolos sound better.

While I agree with you, I think the trem would only be useful on the JTM side of the proposed amp design. The JCM will be too high gain to sound good with trem. I'd much rather leave out the trem and put in a loop for whatever.

Will someone please tell Chris George to start visiting this forum.

neteraser

Hard to get JTM and JCM feel in the same amp.
Exactly. You can't just wire an additional tube for the second channel, because then the first channel will lose some and it'll no longer be a JCM.
That requires a different approach. Sometimes things just won't work. Or they will but it'll be no Marshall tone. This could be quite a difficulty.
But maybe it's possible for Marshall in the OP's formulation. Who knows...

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
The JCM800 is a one channel amp, but the first tube uses its two sides for different purposes, the low input only uses the A side while the Hi input uses A+B sides. But it is a single channel amp. I assume you want the high input (though I could be wrong). So, the question is whether you get the JTM45 preamp in there since the first tube is already fully used just for the Hi input. Do you need a separate tube, or can you just change a few pre-amp components. Are the rectifiers the same (depends on which version of the JTM you are talking about).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom