An interesting Timeline problem...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ninjadave7, Feb 9, 2012.

1. ninjadave7

ninjadave7 Member

Plugged in a friend's TL the other day to give it a test run and it carried a high freq oscillation (continuous ring) through every setting. I had it on my PP2+, but switched it to a 1-Spot, which only decreased the volume of it, but it was still there. It's in a true-bypass loop with a bypass-able buffer, so nothing before or after it in the chain to affect it, and it did it with and without a guitar lead plugged in. Any ideas? Or has anyone else experienced this?

2. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Should this thread be moved to the effects area?

FWIW, I have one of the original DC Timelines (tube buffered green beast), and it does the same thing in combination with one of my pedals (Effectrode Tube Vibe) - something doesn't match. Try the pedal alone, and see if the feedback persists.

- Thom

3. SteelyDannyBoy

SteelyDannyBoy Silver Supporting Member

Yes, I had a DC TimeLine, and encountered some unwanted noises. However, it was never determined where the noise originated (though I might have been using a daisy chain for power). I had a Goatkeeper trem, and that pedal didn't play nicely with the TL, at least in the order I wanted. Everyone says it's the other guy's pedal that's the issue; Pete at DC (now Strymon) tried to help, Austin at Lightfoot Labs tried to help, but ultimately it seems some pedals just don't like some others, or at least in a particular order. (I'm tech/mech - challenged, but I can hear when things aren't right.) Turns out I didn't really have a lot of use (or room!) for the GK2 (great as it was) and sold it. I did feel the DC TL was a fabulous pedal, and if it hadn't been for the Strymon version, I'd still be using it and working on finding a way to get it to sync with my other pedals. (Definitely stay away from daisy chains.) These pedals were only used in an effects loop.

4. Timbre Wolf

Damn right you can tell when things aren't right. But it is difficult for one or another pedal to take the blame - I agree they just don't work well in combo. That's why I ultimately removed the Delta Trem from my board - the Timeline wins. But my Effectrode Tube Vibe works just fine with the Timeline.

Do what you must!

- Thom

5. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

It's more than likely the power supply.

First the PP2+ doesn't have enough MA's to run the Timeline, so that may of been the first issue. Second the 1-Spot is going to definitely cause issues (or at least increase the probability of such things) as you have multiple pedals on the same loop, hence the noise.

Try putting the Timeline on its own dedicated power source with enough MA's to power it. I have the Voodoo Labs ISO-5, which has a 9v 300ma port which powers it fine.

Almost always, noise issues in pedals, especially DSP pedals, are power source originated.

6. analogic

analogic Member

Yeah, seriously, I want to rip my hair out when I see/hear people not using the appropriate power supply. Of course daisy chaining a Timeline will lead to issues. And to echo an earlier post, a PP2+ won't cut it either unless you're using the courtesy outlet.

7. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

Incorrect. Outputs 5 or 6 can provide up to 300 mA; confirmed to me by Voodoo Lab over the phone and again over email. They can only provide 500mA combined though.

8. danonbass

danonbass Member

This is correct. People assume that the 500ma shared is 250 and 250. You could have a 400ma draw on one side as long as the other side only had a pedal drawing less than 100ma. ...I've never done this, but its theoretically possible.

However I run my timeline on 8 of the pp2+ and my xotic ep pre on 7 with zero problems.

9. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

Then Voodoo Labs need to correct their manual and their website page for the PP2+, as it states in both areas it only provides 250ma.

http://www.voodoolab.com/pedalpower_2.htm

http://www.voodoolab.com/manuals/pedal_power_2_manual.pdf

And Strymon themselves repeat that 250ma information as well in their FAQ. In fact as say they do not recommended using a PP2+ for a Timeline.

http://www.strymon.net/support/

I'm not saying Voodoo labs has told you other wise. But then Voodoo Labs and Styrmon are both giving out incorrect information about the mA of the PP2+. And I would rather default on the side of what they makers of the product say, than what people on a forum says they were told. At least when troubleshooting an issue. Esepcially for a $450 pedal using a SHARC DSP, which is not like an analog OD, where you can play a little more fast and loose. It wants precise powering to work right.

So for the OP, when troubleshooting the Timeline noise issue, the OP might want to start with using a power supply that the maker of the product recommends and not the one they strongly recommended against using.

10. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

The above info has been floating around for quite a while. I've also gotten confirmation from Voodoo Lab, after receiving my Timeline. I've been running mine (first batch) like this with zero problems.

11. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Member

this is probably done from a safety perspective by both Voodoo Labs & Strymon. if you are really concerned, you can always do the current-doubling method (like I do) or use the Strymon-provided PS. I've also powered the TL with a Powerall without issues with noise daisy-chained with a couple of pedals (OD & Tuner)

12. Chappo

Chappo Member

What's the problem with combining two of the outputs from a PP2 to power the Timeline. Are Strymon advising against this when they recommend that PP2s not be used?

13. TheGuacamoleXplosion

TheGuacamoleXplosion Member

It will lead to issues. But I disagree with the "of course". My Diago PowerStation will power 12+ pedals via daisy chain without getting noisy. It works fine with digital stuff like the Line6 DL4 (with special adapter cable) and Line6 M5, as well as "digitally controlled analog" boxes like Empress Tremolo and Subdecay Prometheus DLX, too. There's only two DC powered pedals that I have owned so far that got noisy with the Diago: The Timeline and a Planet Waves Tuner pedal. The Planet Waves got silent when I put it towards the end of the audio chain. The Timeline is silent as long as it's the only pedal powered by the Diago, but gets noisy as other pedals are added.

14. 10strings

10strings Member

This

15. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

Wrong.

16. danonbass

danonbass Member

So wrong. I spoke with the folks at Voodoo labs as well. They claim it works with the timeline on 7 or 8.

17. 10strings

10strings Member

Right

I spoke with Stymon and the DC Timeline only runs off the supplied power.

18. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

5 and 6, you mean.

19. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

Pretty sure this thread is about the Strymon TL and not the DC. I could be wrong though as it was never specified in the original post, but I'm pretty sure it's about the Strymon.

20. Timbre Wolf

I've personally experienced the same problem as the OP, and only use the original power supply for each pedal involved (DC Timeline, plus Effectrode Delta Trem). Your assumption may be helpful in some cases, but is not warranted in all cases.

- T