An Interview with Joe Strummer and Robert Fripp

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Prepared Guitar, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Prepared Guitar

Prepared Guitar Member

[​IMG]

RUDE BOYS An Interview with Joe Strummer and Robert Fripp
    by Vic Garbarini

[​IMG]

The basic idea was fairly simple: you get the two foremost proponents of the idea of music as a force for personal and social change, sit 'em down together for a few beers, and see what happens. Now let's look at the potential problems: on the surface, polite, articulate Robert Fripp and acerbic, street-wise Joe Strummer don't appear to be the most compatible duo in rock history. I mean, you wouldn't expect them to bunk together at summer camp, would you?

As musicians they seem to follow widely divergent paths, with the classically trained Fripp exploring the oceanic textures and laser-like solos of Frippertronics, or the fractured, geometric etudes of -The league of Gentlemen-, while Strummer the street poet and musical innocent bashes out three chord symphonies, or heads further up the river into the dark, sensual heartland of reggae and dub.

http://preparedguitar.blogspot.com.es/2015/02/interview-with-robert-fripp-and-joe.html

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  2. VicAjax

VicAjax Male Supermodel

fixed it for you because this looks fockin' fascinating. Loves me some Strummer and loves me some Fripp.

3. nicktf

nicktf Silver Supporting Member

"classically trained Fripp" - I thought he was pretty well known for being quite the opposite.

4. Prepared Guitar

Prepared Guitar Member

Many Thanks. Don't know what I'm doing bad with youtube links

5. VicAjax

VicAjax Male Supermodel

Fripp is indeed a classical guitarist by training.

instead of placing the entire YouTube address in between the youtube code, just use the identifying tag of the video you want to embed, for instance: 8aUSOmjbNuQ

thus:

6. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

Used to listen to the League of Gentlemen LP a lot when it was released. Strange and interesting band. Barry Andrews from XTC playing a naked Farfisa organ with it's top off. Sara Lee on bass who would later join Gang of Four. Music of the future. :D

7. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

I remember reading that interview years and years ago. I was surprised to learn that Joe and Robert were both very respectful of Abba. Also that Joe had gone to a Crimson show (and loved it) back during the Larks' Tongues period.

8. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Supporting Member

Thanks for posting. That was awesome. So unexpected, refreshing, revealing of both men. You go in thinking they are total opposites and you come away wiser and more impressed with both.

Here's a quiz. Match the man with the quote:

Robert Fripp | Joe Strummer

A) "As Kirkegaard says. . . ."

B) "I'm up for some pinball"

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  9. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

A friend of mine claims to have played pinball with RF in San Francisco once back in the early '80s.

10. Prepared Guitar

Prepared Guitar Member

Got it! Thanks for the help

11. schmidlin

schmidlin Member

That was a great read. Thanks!