An NOS guitar in a store

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by FiestaRed, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

It's not new. It's arguably NOS, but the best description would be "virtually unplayed" or "never sold" or something like that. When human beings who speak English use the word "new," it never means "7 years old." I realize businesses want to maximize profits, and maybe they can get away with calling it "new." But that doesn't mean they should, and it doesn't mean that the rest of us would consider it new. Unless it's a rare model whose value has actually increased, I would not pay the new street price they are asking. It's too bad they're not more reasonable. And how the hell do you misplace a PRS DGT? This is just one of those ridiculous overpriced offerings that seems to me a sucker play.

2. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

If any signs of being played, then no, not "new". I did buy a new 2015 LP in 2018 for about 1/2 price at the Sam Ash sale. It was still in the original box and plastic. No doubt that it was new. But I also wouldn't have paid anywhere near new prices.

RCCola likes this.
  3. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

Here are a couple pics of the neck I requested

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member

New, used, NOS, it's all rather relative to the situation and NOS gets used in a lot of different situations. Dealers also call new guitars b-stock and NOS when they're trying to avoid running afoul of some manufacturer's adverting policy.

If this is a guitar that has been with them and never been sold and the warranty will go to you, then it's within the normal descriptions of NOS. If you do not get the warranty, then it's b-stock, used, etc.

I'd think about the right price being a combination of condition, the prevailing price of these, and whether the warranty comes with it. $1800 sounds to me like the right price. Close to $2700 sounds high.

5. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

The store sees it as a "new guitar" because they paid ______ for it, haven't sold it, and need to sell it for ______ to recoup their cost plus margin. Let's also know that in most retail music stores, the big ticket items stay in inventory longer & aren't how they make their money to stay open (picks, strings, magazines, sheet music, cords, and other small crap/consumables are high profit margin and what really keeps the store in business).

It doesn't matter whether you choose to call the guitar "new" or not. The only thing that matters is whether the guitar is beat-to-hell or like-new, and whether the asking price is something you're willing to pay for that model in its present condition.

If $2700 (or whatever) doesn't seem worth it to you, move on. Obviously in 7 years no one else thought it was worth paying $2700 for the guitar regardless of its condition, so apparently the model (or its price point) wasn't too attractive...

MaxTwang and FiestaRed like this.
  6. drew365

drew365 Supporting Member

MaxTwang and FiestaRed like this.
  7. FiestaRed

Interesting

They don't look very big, but I thought maybe 10 years ago they had a much larger inventory.

8. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

"NOS" has a *very* specific definition.

And is absolutely NOT a synonym for a "minty" used guitar.

NOS better basically still have the wrapper on it, so to speak, a dusty case in some corner that when you open it up light just shines like that briefcase in Pulp Fiction. As perfect as it left the factory.

Else it is NOT a NOS item.

moore_for_less and NicDo like this.
  9. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

Did you simply find this guitar listed in the website ad? As in, you were searching online (or on that particular site) and stumbled across this DGT?

Because if yes, then there's not much to gripe about here. You found a guitar which seems roughly priced in-line with all the other stuff on Reverb (which may or may not be realistic pricing, but that's a different issue). Unless you find a different online vendor willing to sell the same thing for less, the price is whatever it is.

There's a different dynamic that happens when people get offline, see a store manager face-to-face, and have a stack of 100's in their hand ready to pay for something. Suddenly, that guitar that didn't sell over the last 7 years seems a lot less precious, and your reasonable offer near a used price (but above what the store paid wholesale) looks a whole lot more like "positive cash flow to meet payroll this week."

Or just skip it altogether and wait until you find someone local to you selling that model.

mc5nrg likes this.
  10. FiestaRed

Who is griping? It's a simple discussion

Drawde likes this.
  11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

They are a PRS dealer so you should have the full warrantee. And the transparent finish DGTs they're asking $2500 for. Which is pretty weird considering I had trouble selling mine for much less than that, in the end I traded it (a good transaction).

73171 and FiestaRed like this.
  12. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

I once bought a nos PRS. One day I was simply surfing/drooling over owning a PRS and came across this. It was a kL-33 2008 in 2012/13 online from an authorized dealer priced at $875. After a fast check I immediately put it in the cart to buy it but wouldn’t let me. So I called them… long story short, after some haggling I got it shipped for $1075. I think they forgot to put the “1” in front of the “875”. Lol. The guitar in fact was brand spanking new. Not a mark and a killer sounding, dependable axe to boot.

sergiodeblanc, 73171 and FiestaRed like this.
  13. FiestaRed

This is a Standard. No maple top -- all mahogany

Pointy Headstock likes this.
  14. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

After 7 years carrying a $2.5k guitar "cost plus margin" is unrealistic and liquidity to purchase salable inventory should be a priority. The again I recently offered to purchase 2 similarly priced guitars from Wilcutt that were both 'new' and 7 years old at a price that was well above cost, but below their customary modest discount from MAP, and they declined.

Some dealers are more attached to their dogs than a willing buyer's cash.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    FiestaRed likes this.
  15. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Let me clarify... I had a maple top, with moons DGT that was in perfect shape. I was asking considerably less than the DGTs with clear finish like the OPs are on reverb. Even the ones that are all mahogany. There are a couple of solid cover ones for less than $1800, but with the transparent finish... I don't know if this is aspirational pricing or if these things are going up?

16. FiestaRed

Wow -- how long ago was this?

17. Alan Dunn

Alan Dunn Member

I'm addicted to guitars so if I see and play one I like it comes home with me simple as that. New or 2nd hand doesn't come into it.

Offer them what you are willing to pay if they say no then move on.

JosephZdyrski and SmartAlex like this.
  18. mobius

mobius Member

(OP, I don't mean to derail the thread, if this is off topic to you I'll delete the post)

I'm interested because I have a similar dilemma. In a local store there is a NOS Dave Murray Strat -- the CS model with the Super Distortions, not the newer rails one.

It's been sitting in the window display for at least 2 years (when I first spotted it, who knows how much longer). In Singapore, this is not good news -- the guitar looks pretty oxidized and worse, I don't know what the humidity has been doing to the woods; the maple neck looks a deep yellow.

The price tag is full retail.

What's the TGP take on this, can it be considered NOS and is it reasonable to charge full retail for?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  19. Andres6and8

Andres6and8 Member

No offense, but that's a pretty confusing/vague description. If you can tell that it has been played, most likely from visible wear, then it's a floor model- regardless of the manufacturer's intention, or where the guitar has been kept.

If the guitar still has the manufacturer's tags on it, along with plastic, pristine clean finish (we all know the quality standards PRS demands) and you'd guess only 1-2 customers picked it up to see if they'd buy it, then dude, it could very well be new.

If you ask me, though, I'm hesitant to buy a story that the guitar has been in a warehouse and a few customers had the privilege to go back there and play it. I'm more willing to bet that it hasn't been sitting in a warehouse, and perhaps some employees and/or manager thought it'd be "OK" to give it that dollar figure by conjuring up that narrative.

If you really want it, ask for 10% off. That's about consistent with a floor model that could barely pass off as "new." A really used floor model would probably sell for a little less. If the manager has the slightest iota of business sense, he or she would agree right away, since the inventory costs have amounted to a substantial figure.

7 years? Yikes.

20. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Supporting Member

THIS.^

You're not going to get any significant amount of flexibility from the owner of that store.