An OD different than a Timmy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tjb4233, Jan 22, 2012.

1. tjb4233

tjb4233 Member

Ok so I have have a couple of ODs: Timmy, CTO-1, Rock Candy, Hot Cake, and MJM Phantom OD. It appears to me that I have a bit of Timmy-like overload. What are your suggestions for something completely different? I've never had a Klon/Klone/What have you is this the solution I'm looking for? Don't know know if I'm ready for fuzz. Can you guys give me some suggestions for something different? Thanks!

2. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

Something different? FETTO, Mantra, Screwdriver

3. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

Timmy = flat EQ, uncompressed, transparent overdrive

Tubescreamer = mid heavy, compressed, colored overdrive

4. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

How about an OCD? Two pedals in one with the HP/LP mode switch.

5. bruce1448

bruce1448 Member

I'm not sure how they compare to the Timmy but I've been eyeing the Skreddy Screwdriver and Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD lately.

6. teleclem

teleclem Member

I'd say Honey Bee :aok

7. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

Maybe a bluesbreaker circuit like a morning glory or butah?

8. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

Tubescreamer is about as different from a Timmy overdrivewise that I can think of, I'd go with one of the many variants if I were you.

9. tander04

tander04 Member

i haven't tried it but i've been hearing good things about the walrus audio voyager

10. teleclem

teleclem Member

The Butah's certainly different (and better at really low gain, imo).

11. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

If you set it that way, though you could EQ it to be mid heavy, and turn the toggle to the compressed setting.

12. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

Ahh, the AstroTone, the fuzz for people who prefer overdrives. Seriously, it's the perfect marriage of fuzz and od

13. betteriz1day

betteriz1day Supporting Member

Don't know if you're looking for lower/higher gain, but +1 on the Butah for lower gain. Also agree with the Astro Tone and Screwdriver for higher OD/fuzz. I'd look at the DLS for a Marshall flavor.

14. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

C'mon, Timmy will never be mid-humped, compressed, and have that color like a Tubescreamer and its variants.

15. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Never said like a tube screamer, but yes, it will have a mid hump. It won't get as compressed either, but it can be more compressed than how most people use it. I posted the following settings in a couple threads and people really liked it: turn the bass clockwise (down as far as it will go), treble to 3 o'clock, gain maxed and toggle (IIRC when I had a Timmy) to the most compressed setting. You get a super smooth drive that has good cut-through.

16. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

One I just bought that was really kill'in earlier today at church was a Yellow Drive by T-Rex that's made exclusively for Guitar Center and can be had for about $160. it's a 2 channel overdrive / distortion pedal that that has an A Channel for overdrive and a B Channel for distortion which has a different gain structure. It has a toggle switch to kick it from one to the other. I'd call it a low to med-high gain distortion that sounds vintage and is very useful for lead guitarists. I saw one at GC awhile back and tried it and really liked it on a Tele and a Strat but didn't buy it at the time but did check it out online later. Seems a lot of guys are starting to notice the pedal.

17. fred_

fred_ Supporting Member

Screwdriver Deluxe. Done. Amazing pedal.

You mentioned that you were "not sure you were ready for fuzz" and I was in the same tonal boat. The screwdriver is the pedal. Boost, OD, fuzzy (kinda) and amp like. It just has a feel to it when you are playing that puts it in a special league.

I ordered a Screwdriver mini deluxe when Marc (Skreddy) was changing the format/pedal size (NOT the circuit) and got it and immediately sold some pedals so that i could get yet ANOTHER ONE for stacking purposes.

It just does so many things so well.

Recommended. (In case you couldn't tell)

Get one.

18. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

I would wait for the new KOT if you might like a less mid-range Tube Screamers.

19. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

All really good--Mantra is my fave (not dissimilar to the Screwdriver, actually, but has a more useful--if less tweakable--eq); it's definitely the most dynamic. I also love the Solidgold Superdrive, which, to me, is the anti-Tim (big and muscular but keeps the tone of your rig; I always feel like the Tim bypasses the amp and just adds hair to your guitar). -E