An old guy giving a young guy advise about "GAS"...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by standard24, Jan 2, 2018.

1. spiral

spiral Member

I have the opposite problem: I am the younger guy, and my older friend has been buying guitars at a rate of about 1 every other month for the past 3 years ... like expensive / fancy ones. I think he is having fun after just retired but also a little antsy and needing to put his energy somewhere. He's probably in the 80+ guitars range which seems crazy to me. Nothing I say has ever swayed him.

Buying stuff gives you a high, and it's easier than practicing and playing, so it will continue to happen unless that person decides to limit themselves. I totally agree with @ZiggyStarrdust that consumerism is a real barrier to happiness. I was much more productive when I didn't have so many material possessions to think about (and no money to get more).

2. 808

808 Member

I bought 3 expensive guitars last year but the best purchase I made was a truefire membership. It is so easy to get caught up in buying more junk but equipment won't make you a better player.

peskypesky likes this.
  3. Coolidge

Coolidge Member

Great...this thread gave me GAS standard24 you are evil!

4. TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage Member

I know I’m in the minority on this here at TGP, but I really don’t get in on the PRS, Anderson, Suhr Lovefest. Those damn bird inlays. :) I know they are fantastic instruments but they don’t interest me or capture my interest.

egregion likes this.
  5. Presc

Presc Member

One important thing I’ve realized as a youngish guy: I have time to build my collection. Time to increase my earnings, save more, and then plenty of years (well hopefully) to play a guitar whether I buy it today or in a year.

Any compromise I make just delays the inevitable of getting what I want...there’s always slippage in transaction costs, shipping, etc. So I wait and do it right. I do get the learning thing, but you can do that for free in stores or trying friends’ gear.

Plus, you can only play one at a time!

6. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

When I was younger I never had the money to turn GAS into a reality. In my older years, I didn't have it so much until all the great guitar stores around me started going under. I couldn't go out and try different guitars anymore. I found that I had a few that I would and will never sell, but a certain amount that I trade, sell, buy, etc. It's fun. Still, unfortunately, I have found I can only play one at a time.

Pixies2005 likes this.
  7. gigsup

gigsup Supporting Member

A fool and his money are soon parted.

peskypesky likes this.
  8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

But how many guitars did you have to go through (at least try) to refine your tastes to where you could recognize what best suited you?
    If you are rejecting well-renowned guitars on the basis of looks or (god forbid) mojo you have not done all the homework yet.

peskypesky likes this.
  9. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

Gas never stops. There is always something else that I want. The difference now is that I'm not as impulsive and I'm able to quickly realize that I don't need everything I want. I'm set guitar wise. All I really need is a ..........

Pixies2005 likes this.
  10. ieso

ieso Member

knowing me, my young self would not listen to the old me.

11. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

You can also just let your friend play, buy, and enjoy whatever he wants :). My adventures in GAS over the years have taught me a ton about guitars and I've always bought intelligently so I've never lost money when I let gear go. GAS is definitely win-win if you know what you're doing.

peskypesky likes this.
  12. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

If he's happy with what he has, good for him... I mean my most expensive guitar cost $800... and it friggin rips... I am anti-gas in general tho. If I don't need a particular tone I don't bother getting a guitar. Actually I think I'm pretty much set with the few that I have...

peskypesky likes this.
  13. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

No matter what point in the journey you are, no one can tell you a damn thing.

William Bohensky likes this.
  14. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

He needs to know what kind of wood and features he prefers before plunking 3 grand on a axe.

15. TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage Member

But mojo and looks is a huge part of the equation for a guitar player IMO. Would you play a Dave Mustane peace sells graphic guitar because it had the best tone?

Pixies2005 likes this.
  16. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

I went a bit crazy buying inexpensive guitars a few years ago, but I don't really regret it. I built up a nice collection of almost every kind of electric guitar I ever wanted: A Tele, a Les Paul style, two semi-hollows, a hollowbody jazz box, a bunch of Strats. I've modded some of them extensively, which was a great learning experience. Others I modded just a bit (upgraded tuners), and some I didn't mod at all (Epiphone Dot).

I learned so much by working on them, and did stuff I'd never attempt on an expensive guitar (fret-leveling, refinishing, etc).

I really like playing all of them and enjoy the variety.

Do I sometimes wish I'd just bought a few higher-quality guitars? Yeah. But I wouldn't have learned as much...and there are those who say variety is the spice of life.

ripple and AlanH like this.
  17. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

I'm with you 100%. I don't like guitars with lots of bling, bird inlays, etc. I grew up loving the old-school guitars and that will never change.

That being said, I'd rock a PRS Starla or Vela with dot inlays.

18. dazco

dazco Member

I don't agree at all as far as buying a few higher end guitars. I've HAD those, and i no longer HAVE those. Now if you absolutely refuse to or cannot upgrade a guitar then i might be convinced because most of them have some hardware or pickups that won't bring out it's best. Or if you cannot setup a guitar well, tho that should be a prerequisite as a player. But for what rarely costs more then $150-200 you can upgrade many very low cost guitars to the point that they will play as well and sound as good generally. I'm an old guy too, and i bought into that idea when i was young too, but at least back then it was true to some degree. Today if you can't upgrade something like a classic series fender of a squier CV to the point it sounds and plays well past the point it needs to to be a great axe, then you aren't doing something right. I've sold high end guitars because i could not deny i preferred a budget model i upgraded. Once that happened a few times it became apparent to me that I was wasting a lot of $ and time on higher end stuff. Itls pretty and the frets are polished like a mirror, but a guitar is a tool and what matters is the stuff you can get out of even some very cheap axes. Look at jack pearson. He plays a effin' squire standard, not even a CV ! Now granted, you DO have to be able to upgrade which includes knowing what to look for and what makes those important differences. And if you can't do that and you have a deep wallet, then i will admit it may be a better option for you. But most of us end up upgrading regardless of the initial cost anyways !

If i were to give your friend advice about gas i'd tell him what i think is far more important because IMO it's the actual REASON for most gas. I would tell him to be aware that the greatest guitar on earth FOR YOU will one day become boring at times. And when that happens it won't inspire you and you will believe what you need is a different guitar. Thats what causes gas, but thats YOU not the guitar causing that and buying a new guitar won't change YOU. It'll just make you feel great for a time....as we call it, the honeymoon stage. So he'll buy a different one and later kick himself for selling the one he now realizes was as great as he first thought, or if he kept it he'll pull it out of the closet and realize it was IT all along. Thats what causes gas IMO, and the cure is to find a few guitars that are special so when you start taking one for granted you pick the other one up and it then becomes inspiring for a day or a week or a month. Musical chairs with a few guitars that are special to you.

There is another kind of gas tho, but it's a legit one....growing as a player and no longer wanting the sound or feel you did earlier. If that happens then it's legit to go out and find what you now need.

19. That70'sbro

That70'sbro Member

Just tell him to buy one of everything. Problem solved.

peskypesky likes this.
  20. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Excellent advise.

But:

I think "fine" is in the eye of the player... my MIA (bought new) and MIM (bought lightly used) are "fine" guitars, lifeflong keepers.. and were not expensive. In today's guitar world, you don't have to spend alot of money to get a FANTASTIC guitar.

True. And besides, it's fun! Somewhere along the way, you realize GAS isn't about the destination, it's about the journey. Simply trying out so many different things, variety is the spice of life. And along the way, you find out what you REALLY dig, and of course tastes and musical styles can change over time. So while I have 6 electrics, I only play 2 alot; however, it's been fun experiencing the others, and now I know that those particular guitar types aren't really "my thing"... but I had to live with them awhile to figure that out, and they are fun "flings" while they last!

Plus, it's revenue to fund more... I'm getting ready to dump a large batch of gear, and that money will allow me to by other stuff I've always wanted to explore.... not because I'm "looking for the holy grail", just because it's fun trying new stuff.

Pixies2005 and crankyrayhanky like this.