An old guy giving a young guy advise about "GAS"...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by standard24, Jan 2, 2018.

1. mobius

mobius Member

Fewer gear is solid advice, but sub-4K guitars are marginal, really?

I'v written elsewhere how much I love my MIM strat.

EDIT: Thank f*** others picked up on it as well. Faith in humanity (or at least TGP) restored!

2. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Supporting Member

Give less advice, play more guitar ... enjoy the ride.

Your lessons are your lessons ... I had a blast with all the gear I've bought and sold over the years ... and all the money I've "lost" along the way buying and selling ... So the F@#$ what! There are many things I've blown a lot more money on and haven't had even 1/100th the fun with as buying, trying and selling guitar gear.

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  3. William Bohensky

William Bohensky Member

Human nature. Part of the guitar world. No one ever figures everything out. Just don't lose interest.

4. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

Hard for me to say what to do since I couldn't do it myself.

A Warren Buffett quote that could apply to gear: "if you don't feel comfortable owning a stock (guitar, amp, pedal) for 10 years, you shouldn't own it for 10 minutes.

Then again I purchased an S2 Starla on GAS because I wanted a guitar with a bigsby and it's become one of my most played instruments.

5. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Supporting Member

One man's trash is another mans treasure. I have $2000+ guitars that sit in their cases. The sub $600 ones are the ones that get played. Go figure.

mobius likes this.
  6. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

you gotta go through the ride to see what's what. I've done same thing. I still get caught up in the GAS. This week, after several years of going down different rabbit holes, I've decided to finally listen to an older guy .....and just get a two channel amp. Great clean, great drive...use one or two ODs with it.... and use 1-2 great guitars.

7. drri

drri Member

Honestly just described my ideal set up for 2018, won't be long before I have the TK and I've been searching for the perfect 335 for about 2 yrs now.

Magnets And Melodies likes this.
  8. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Perfect man, good luck! I was on the 335 journey for about a year and a half until I took a chance on the CME deals. Got a 59 and 58 ri, and though both made me much happier than any one I’ve played before, the ‘58 was absolute perfection in terms of what I was searching for. Feels good to cap that one off!!!

9. Devnor

Devnor Member

The drummer's daugther's 17 y/o boyfriend has been filling in on bass with us. His bass is terrible so he's been playing my FCS Jazz bass. Guess what he's saving up for? Haha, I'm a terrible influence :)

toddincharlotte and standard24 like this.
  10. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

id say start a band. once you start playing w others you realize almost none of your rig matters and if youre dependent on effects you immediately see how ****** it is compared to an amp that actually sounds good.
    you realize its all just toys except a reliable guitar w good pickups and a good sounding amp.

ssdeluxe and modavis99 like this.
  11. archey

archey Member

In my opinion the less you own, the more you appreciate what you have. Also, it's better to have a few nice things than a house full of crap.

12. standard24

standard24 Member

Yep... I think that's what it's all about. The high from buying a guitar.
    I flip guitars. Most of them, I'd never consider owning myself. I have been seduced by a flip-guitar... USA G&L Legacy (Strat) I paid about $275 for. I decided to keep it, but I'm really not playing it much. Maybe it should go too?

13. dansworld

dansworld Gold Supporting Member

G.A.S.

I think the term does us all a disservice.

Unless the "A" stands for "Appreciation".......

Seriously, when you look at gear on Reverb or one of the other gear websites, you are browsing around because you like, or even love guitars, amps pedals and stuff, right? Every time you pull the trigger it's because you saw something so wonderful and beautiful to behold you needed to play it and make it yours.

Every new guitar is an opportunity to own a piece of something, a work of musical art, to have and to hold and maybe you get lucky and it's one of those one in a million instruments that you bond with and it inspires you. No one says you are going to keep buying gear and more gear like a hoarder, unless you are a hoarder. Otherwise, you can sell a guitar that you've taken a chance on for close to what you paid for it; sometimes more, sometimes yes. I've ended up with several that are amazing instruments I would not dream of parting with- ones that I will leave to friends and family after my imminent demise someday.

I've sold lots of guitars. I've traded up and down, bought some that I think I'll like but end up after a month or so deciding that "it's just not happening". Every guitar I list I sell, eventually. No, this is not zero sum, it ends up costing me in the end but that's a pittance compared to other avocations or hobbies or whatever.

We like what we like. Look at Will Ray and his lust for cheapo guitars. The thrill of the chase, getting them, tweaking them and seeing what he ends up with. He is a KILLER player and no one is going to say to him "why are you buying so many crappy guitars when you can have one or two really nice guitars for the same price?".

So, why do you tell somebody not to like something because it offends your sensibilities? If the guy wants and likes mid prices axes good for him. Betcha before long he starts moving up into more valuable guitars on his own. It's not a given, but I'll give it good odds. Maybe he will discover that one low end guitar + one low end guitar= nearly one whole decent guitar. I love that equation and all the others which equal to moving up into better and better instruments.

I bet every single one of us here started out cheap and moved up from there.

So, think not that gear appreciation is a bad thing (unless it becomes an obsession) and that loving guitars; their curves, beautiful finishes, sonorous and lovely wooden tones and the way they feel when we hold them is something that few people get to actually enjoy and that indulging this part of our character makes us more human and contributes to a happy and full life.

So GAS away my fellow TGPer's. Happy New Gear (Year)! Life really is good!!

14. Anthony Newcomb

Anthony Newcomb Supporting Member

After 31 years of playing, I'm still a Gas riddled musician at heart...but more under control.

Now a days, I've learned to bypass the junk. Now that I've learned what makes a great guitar and what works for me, I'm buying smarter and have really slowed down with purchases.

My Gas has always been fueled by some displeasure in a particular guitar or amp. Since I purchased a few different Music Man guitars in the last year or so, my Gas has really reached a plateau. I'm feeling very content and it feels amazing! Very inspirational and I find myself playing more. Really amazing instruments.

I primarily have different guitars to achieve different styles/tones these days. A Cutlass for that bluesy twang and vintage rock tone, a Luke III HSS for vintage/modern mid gain lead and rhythm tones, and a Majesty for heavy riffing and modern lead/clean/piezo.

My goals are more focused on usage these days. Two of the same thing feels to compulsive for me :dunno

15. jorgemncardoso

jorgemncardoso Member

About GAS, i think everybody goes through it to some degree, some more than others.

As for me i've found an infallible cure for it... It tuns out, that when you have little to no money to spend on gear your GAS suddenly disappears and makes you appreciate the gear you already have and focus on making music, because that's the gear is for... ;)

Pixies2005 likes this.
  16. music321

music321 Member

I can't think of any other aspect of music where this is a problem. Wood wind players might own three flutes, for example, and that's it. A violinist would own maybe three as well: a main player, a backup, and an electric. I guess the nature of the electric guitar lends itself to variation. This, and the instrument has come into its own during the most prosperous time in world history thus far. There are plenty of guitarists that own a guitar and an amp, and nothing else. The more space there is to explore though, the more people do explore.

17. jorgemncardoso

jorgemncardoso Member

Snowy White is a prime example of that, having his '57 Goltop LesPaul as his only guitar for 30 years along with his Vox AC30. Only in more recent years has he bought some other ones

18. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

G.A.S. is what pays for the industry- all its investors and employees. GAS enables companies, both large and small, to make products that for the most part improve the lives of people who support them by buying a product.
    Stop telling people to buy less.

19. jorgemncardoso

jorgemncardoso Member

LOL, great theory... :facepalm

Sits very well with the current "consumerist" mind set of society these days...

"Apple: "Check out the new IPhone 8, it's new, it has new features, the IPhone 7 you bought last year for $1000 is obsolete and old... You NEED the new and improved 8!!"

Poor Apple... Let's support the company and it's employees...

SIIIGHHH..... :facepalm

Don't spend most of your time PLAYING music..., spend it on TGP and other music sites Gasing for your 30'th guitar, amp or your 100'th pedal (that you don't need...)

20. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Ooh nice, a double face palm for my post. Thanks! :beer