An organic-sounding OD that borders on metal?

odd

I'm trying to decide on an all-purpose overdrive. I'm not too happy about most of the transistor clipping I hear in pedals; I need something that's warm, organic and at the same time dynamic and clear. In a word: interesting. From blues to AC/DC-ish crunch, maybe just a little more. What would you suggest? Btw., I'll use it with a small all-tube 5-watt combo with a 12' speaker, not an earth-rattling stack.

Kingbeegtrs

I'm trying to decide on an all-purpose overdrive. I'm not too happy about most of the transistor clipping I hear in pedals; I need something that's warm, organic and at the same time dynamic and clear. In a word: interesting. From blues to AC/DC-ish crunch, maybe just a little more. What would you suggest? Btw., I'll use it with a small all-tube 5-watt combo with a 12' speaker, not an earth-rattling stack.

www.gearmanndude@hotmail.com

he makes one that you'd probably like a lot. I think he calls it a Luther Drive?

schenkadere

Try the Danelectro Cool Cat CD-1 Distortion...at 39 bucks, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Supposedly a MI Crunch Box clone. Very Marshall/British flavored...responsive tone control and good dynamics.

playthecray

Silver Supporting Member
Wampler Plexidrive is the closest thing to AC/DC in a box. You can also get some cool blues tones with the gain set lower. I also like the Barber Direct Drive and Clark Gainster for the tones you are describing.

nibus

BYOC Shredder - it has blues, Angus, GnR, Radiohead, and much heavier sounds. Totally under-rated pedal.

fuzz_factor

Silver Supporting Member
You might like a Barber Dirty Bomb. It's might be a little heavier than what you're looking for, but sounds good when you dial back the gain. It has a three-way mid switch that makes it pretty flexible, along with treble, bass and sub-bass controls.

The Dirty Bomb is good for anything from AC/DC crunch through early Metallica thrash. With a single coil guitar and the gain under 12 o'clock, you even get a bit of volume knob cleanup.

Jet Age Eric

Solid Gold SuperDrive might work, esp. since it seems to have more drive than the typical OD. I wouldn't say it sounds AC/DC ish, though.

MI Crunchbox might be a good choice, although that may be too much of the transistor clipping flava you refer to. -E

redpill

I just got a Farndurk X that I am going to review here shortly. It's a distortion more than an overdrive, but wow is it ever interesting, and you can work with the builder to select whatever clipping elements you want to get the tone you're after. Very simple circuit, very very dynamic and clear.

GeLoFi

Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret. Most organic OD pedal I've ever heard, extremely amplike and touch sensitive. Awesome by itself for heavy rhythm and medium gain leads. Goose it with a boost or a TS9 on the RAWK setting for metal leads.

B_of_H

rat's are not lame. What are you playing through?

sorry, not trying to be mean but a rat is a fine distortion pedal if played through a decent setup.

Sherwood

Check the Option 5 Destination Overdrive II. It can do boost, clear overdrive, blues overdrive, distortion and even get close to metal. The tone controls are very versatile and the pedal always sound good.

proguitarshop have a good demo video on their site. Go there and check video library > distortion pedals > Option 5.

Trending Topics