An overdrive to stack with my Jekyll and Hyde?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitar-rookie, Jun 7, 2006.

1. guitar-rookie

guitar-rookie Supporting Member

Hey guys,
    Any suggestions on the above title?
    Looking for something that is not tube screamer-ish, cost less than $200, true bypass. yea..so pour in ur suggestions..

2. sandman

sandman Member

did you consider a boost pedal?

I enjoy Super Chili Picoso/J&H very much.

But what do I know? :D

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I'll +1 the SCP, or even SPP if you want some more growl. (Sandman, did I not tell you the SCP is so multifaceted, or what?)

The TIM or Timmy seems to fit your needs perfectly, however

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Zendrive. Some people say the zendrive is tubescreamer based, but not at ALL to my ears. Specially if you use it for slight gain. It gives a fantastic bite, and is one of the BEST pedals I have run across.

I also have two Jekylly & Hydes, (one is a backup, also the backup is the newer red one which I like slightly less than the older silver one) and I have been using it together with my Zendrive in front of it for about six months now and it is really fantastic.

That said, I have two pedalboards, and play in two different groups, I just recently got a ZVex Super Hard On (which, if you want to get the most out of it, you put it first in line after the guitar, because of the extremely high input impedance it is made to squeeze every bit of signal and tone from your pickups) which isn't precisely an OD, but a booster pedal, and it is fantastic. I haven't yet tried "stacking" it with the J &H, but I am convinced I need another one already...one for each pedalboard. It drives OD's and Dists a little harder, which brings out more of tehir character, and I tried it at home at bedroom volumes and was really impressed, but even better, in a band setting last night at band volumes I was REALLY impressed.

I bought mine in norwegian kroner, so I am not sure if it is under 200, but it is REALLY worth it.

I have no experience with other boosters though, except the high-boost Germania, which at normal volumes wasn't what I had been looking for. The SHO though is.

5. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

I'm a bit confused. :confused:

The Jekyll & Hyde already covers a lot of sonic territory -- RAT and TS-808. Are you looking for another tone -- or do you want a box to augment the sound of your J&H with more gain and saturation?

What about a fuzz pedal?

6. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

One of Nick Greer's pedals. VERY unique.

Likely the Ghetto Stomp.

This is of course, if you're thinknig other flavors.

7. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Member

+1

I love this pedal! Great boost, really makes my amp come alive.-

8. guitar-rookie

hey, i'm looking for something diff mainly..yea..crunchy rhythm sound or something...

9. Mullet Kingdom

Maybe a modded Boss DS-1 would do the trick. You can buy them from Analog Man or Keeley for about a C-note. They sound great too.

10. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

or maybe a SD-1, they sound great and are cheap like very cheap.

11. what?

what? Member

+1 on the SD-1. tried my friend MIJ sd-1 it does the trick for boosting his J&H. But it'd only smooths out the mid EQ wise. I've got a lovepedal twin 60 that gives everything feeds into it an EQ makeover, not too drastic but it's just drips with fat :drool , doesn't muddy up the mids, just give aggresive edge and attack to your tone. You might be able to get Sean to make you one for less than $200 who knows

12. abuloso

abuloso Member

My friend, get the BB Preamp. Its under 200 bucks and is so transparent that it can be stacked with anything. Gain ranges from extremely clean to marshall on 10 so there you have it.

13. guitar-rookie

hmm...how about the Screwdriver or the Throbak ODB?

14. Mullet Kingdom

I'd just go and try as many different pedals as you can get your calloused fingers on -- and put the through their paces with your own guitar and cables.

You'll learn more in ten seconds of playing a piece of gear than you will in ten hours of reading about it on the internet. Obviously, not all the pedals mentioned in this thread will be readily available to you, but you should still go out and audition as many of them as you can find in the area music stores. :AOK