• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

An uncommon JCM 800 combo conversion

Geeze

I have always lusted after the JCM 800 series of heads. The biggest deal breaker for me was the 29" width. I found a 4210 at Sam Ash [two channel 1x12] and I foolishly plugged in, got a deal and took all 56lb of it home. I have built a number of head cabs and I wanted to do something different - with a bit of space on either side of the chassis it would be 23" wide. Walking through my wood crack dealer store a padauk plank called to me. It sat for a few days while I groped for inspiration. Then I saw a JCM 800 head in red tolex. That was the one. I resolved to build it all with wood [except for the logo - madness does have limitations]. Padauk for the body, walnut for the corners and maple for the piping. 1" round overs - different handle - don't like Marshall's.

Started here with the awesome sounding ugly duckling.

Plywood bottom - I hate to waste beauty on the underside - I cut fake fingers for the ends.

Glue up started. Out of habit I cut all of the fingers proud and sand them back. I found with the 1" round over Marshall uses it wasn't necessary.

Camera freaks out with so much orange. All corners cut with 80 grit on an orbital sander.

Here it is on a 4x10 cab. It has much more red than the camera shows. Like guitar GAS, woodworking gas knows no bounds - I am contemplating a matching 4x12 with Scumbacks.

Russ

Last edited:

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
Beautiful cab, if only you didn't have to stand upside down to play it!

Geeze

Nice! How long did it take to sand the corners?
2-3 minutes on the short sides, 4-5 on the longs. On 1/2" I use a hand plane but on 1" that was too freaking much work. I hate routers on figured wood - tear out tends to be catastrophic. I draw lines at 1/2" and 1" from the corner on both sides. I sand a 45° bevel to the 1/2" lines and round out from there.

Russ

Geeze

Most-excellent woodworking skills!

I had Jeff Swanson build me a head cab for my 4010
Hi Russ - very nice work on the head! Tolex is an undiscovered country for me.

So, are you going to start building them for sale...
I have built a few head / speaker cabs for custom orders. I have a very good wood store here in Dallas with many species to choose from. I also have a few speaker cabs and such that need to go. PM me if you are interested.

Russ

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
that looks awesome - I doubt you'd have a hard time selling it down the road if you ever lost your mind.

Trending Topics