An under-$200 1x12 combo amp for these 2 things

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by FuzzBucket, Oct 27, 2018.

1. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

used Katana 50, or if you can find one a Pathfinder 15r.

2. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

As impressed as I am with the Katana, and I've played every tone Dave Simpson shares and I wrote down their "recipes" in a binder, the truth is I've settled on like 3 tones that I play and usually just one clean warm tone for most practice.

Going to many of those other tones, plus many that I sculpted is more like a kid at the local park with friends. But in reality I apparently only need and seek two or three tones.

The Kat, along with my ASAT Special with those amazing mfd pups can get a scary accurate Jimi tone. I mean I just play and it screams Jimi. The problem is I don't sound like Jimi. So I have his tone but can't really pull off Jimi's mojo. What I'm saying is sucking with Jimi's tone is worse than just sucking. Same with SRV, Santana, Ford, or Gary Moore tones, pretty damn accurate tones, pretty damn inaccurate playing. So I don't like to play that game because as a listener you would probably have the same assessment, but I love the scrumptious tones I've dialed in for my three tone trio. This allows me to be me, and I think I sound good. Finding my tone is the game.
    Trying to be Jimi is sad.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  3. FuzzBucket

FuzzBucket Member

So I almost pulled the trigger on a used Katana 50, but at the last minute I realized it didn't have an FX loop. :(

Then I came across a Marshall AVT150 combo. I'm not sure about this particular model (it's kinda ugly, tbh), but one thing about it that really appeals to me is the plug-in speaker input design it has on the back that you can unplug the combo speaker from it and plug an external speaker into it. This would make the amp really handy and cost-effective as I could use it for both a grab-n-go combo amp and as a head to power my 4x12 cab.

Any other 1x12 combo amps that has this same/similar plug-in speaker input design feature that you'd recommend over the ATV150?

4. FuzzBucket

FuzzBucket Member

Bump!

Another 'must have' that I forgot to include is a headphone jack for silent practicing, so I guess that eliminates all tube amps.

I pretty much just need a good sounding clean channel SS or Valvestate combo amp that takes pedals well & has an FX loop.

I think I'd prefer a Marshall over a Peavey since Peavey's are a bit on the ugly side (come on, they are!).

5. Ejay

Ejay Supporting Member

On that budget....peavey valveking....no brainer!
    No headphone out though...

6. FuzzBucket

FuzzBucket Member

That's a nice looking amp, but I need headphone out. :(

The Marshall valvestate's seem to be in the lead for what I'm looking for. Any Marshall experts around?!

7. troyguitar

troyguitar Member

I've been thinking about the Marshall MG for the same sort of thing. I can't figure out whether the "carbon fiber" MG50CFX is the same amp as the newer "gold series" MG50GFX though and don't see any available locally to test. I also only really use 2-3 tones and would like a 1x12 with loop and headphone output.