An upgrade to my recording setup!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by SGNick, Sep 21, 2008.

1. SGNick

SGNick Member

So I went to a music store expecting to spend 100 bucks on a cheap mic and walked out with a bit more than that...

I ended up buying this little kit here...

[​IMG]

Which includes a large diaphragm condenser mic and a small diaphragm condenser mic made to record ambient room sounds, or an acoustic instrument... I figured.... why not?

bought the mics, a pop filter, cables and a stand... Much better than using the Zoom H4 for everything, now I just plug the mics into the H4 and off I go!

The box is even well setup, I use it to carry the mics instead of the bags that came with it, because it looks cooler.

[​IMG]

Looks pretty cool, therefore it should SOUND good... RIGHT? :lol: :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I can record vocals comfortably for a change, rather than trying to sing into the H4 built in mics!

[​IMG]

2. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

So, how do they sound?

3. SGNick

SGNick Member

Better than I expected for the price! So far I've used them both to record a jam session (one for the room, the other for vocals) just to mess around and see what they could do and I will say that I am satisfied.

There will always be better, but I am more than satisfied with these mics! I haven't yet had a chance to mic an amp or even an acoustic yet, since I've been busy with my studies, and when I'm not busy with em, the rest of the house IS!

4. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

use the other one on the back of the cab or in the room.
    With Vox combos and open back Fenders I like a SM57 or equivalent on the grille just off center of the speaker and then I put the large diaphragm (since they usually can't handle high SPL) on the backside.
    You'll be amazed at what you hear. Very fat and full.

5. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

be sure and flip the phase on the back mic if you do this....

6. SGNick

SGNick Member

1. The room sounds TERRIBLE! I wish I could take it out of the equation! I try not to record at home!

2. I don't know how to flip phases! I'm pretty much still trying to set phasers to "stun"!

I do like the mics though, much improvement over the what I was using before!

7. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Flip the wires on pins 2 & 3 of one end of a XLR mic cable. Make sure you mark it somehow so you don't get it mixed up with your normal mic cables. Most mic preamps have a phase flip switch but not all, so the cable is nice to have around.

8. KillerV

KillerV Member

If your preamp doesn't have a phase-switch or you don't wanna go through the trouble of wiring an inverted cable, check if your sequencer has some sort of function to invert the signal. Most of them do and it works fine. You'll have to do it after you're done recording so unfortunately you won't be able to monitor how it really sounds, but it's a good work-around.

If your room really sounds bad, you can try to build a sort of enclosure around the cab with matresses, blankets, etc. Sort of like how you would build a makeshift vocal booth. I've had to do this once or twice and it worked fine.