Analog Delay: "Clean" w/Modulation?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ruger9, Feb 27, 2009.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Looking for a "clean" analog delay (like CMATMODS Deeelay), but with modulation. Like a "clean/not dark" version of the Carbon Copy.

Does anyone make such a beast?

If the CMATMODS had mod, I would have bought it already (and might buy one anyway...it sounds awesome.)

For reference, I have an AD-999, so I have the dark/dirty repeats covered, and I have an Echo Park, which is great for a digital modeler, but was hoping to replace it with the above.

2. Marzio

Marzio Member

I've heard that Wampler is making an echo with mod right now. Hope it will be out soon.

3. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Wow, that's it? Anybody else? Does this beast not yet exist?

whoops... forgot about the DMM.... it's certainly cleaner than the CC...

4. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Jacques Prisoner is what you want.
    Clean Analog delay with modulation that goes from subtle to seasick

5. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Prisoner only has 300ms? Too short.

DMM is out... I forgot it doesn't have enuff delay time.

What about the Echobox? Looks alot like a longer-delay DMM?

6. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I have the AD999 and DMM and they compliment each other really well, both analog but completely different sounding. The DMM sounds exactly what you're looking for- if you have the space go for it! Edit: just saw about the delay time- you could always get it modded for more delay time...

7. Wooley

Wooley Member

How much delay time are you looking for?

8. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

The deep blue delay did a nice clean modulation, but the repeat itself wasn't as cleanly defined as the Ibanez AD80 I currently have. I'd say the DBD is perfect for shimmery atmospheric delay, and the AD80 for that dancehall reggae beat.

9. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

You want a long and 'clean' analog delay with modulation? I don't think you want an analog delay.

10. hurleysurf

hurleysurf Member

Moog 104z + your favorite chorus pedal

11. Bryan T

The Moog isn't clean sounding. You can also get modulated delays out of it, but it requires an external LFO and attenuator.

12. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Yeah, actually I do. Repeats that are warmer than "prisitne digital", yet cleaner than an AD-999, which degrades VERY quickly. The DMM is a perfect example of this, it's just too short a delay time.

I want at least 600ms, is the Echobox digital, or a hybrid of some kind?

Interesting... I just dug up an old post of mine:

"Speaking of Line6, I'm selling my DMM and keeping my Echo Park. Why? I'm a huge analog fan, but for the settings I use, the DMM & EP (on analog mode with mod) are virtually indistiquishable from one another... believe me, I was surprised! I didn't know just HOW good the EP was until I got a DMM. Plus, the EP can go longer of course. If the DMM had around 700ms of delay, I'd have kept IT instead of the EP. But tonally, virtually indistinguishable.

I read somewhere that the analog model on the EP is OF THE DMM... can anybody confirm?"

Maybe I should re-think this... what got me started on this whole thing was, I saw a demo of the CMATMODS vs. the AquaPuss, and they sounded virtually identicle to me. The CMATMODS sounded beautiful, and I thought, "how great would it be to have mod on that deeelay?"

13. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

DBD modulates? Where?

14. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I suggest an Eventide Timefactor - you can roll of the highs and add modulation to taste. Not too lowfi or dark if done right.

15. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Supporting Member

If you dig the dmm I think analogman does a mod that adds delay time.

16. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I think analogman can get it up to 500ms? 550?

DMM, at least 600ms, smaller footprint, doesn't require a proprietary wall wart, and has only several knobs (stuff like the Timefactor isn't what I'm looking for.)

Like I said- if the Carbon Copy were as clean (not dark) as the CMATMODS, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Still looking at that Echobox... it seemed to be one of the attempts at a "DMM Killer", but haven't found any definitive opinions on that yet...

17. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Question:

can the Echobox pull off the Edge/US delay stuff? 1-2 quick repeats, w/o being to muddy or getting lost in the mix? I'm talking Joshua Tree here-Streets Have No Name- I think he used DMMs on the early stuff, but by Joshua Tree he'd gone digital, I think.

18. frankfalbo

frankfalbo Member

Not trying to spam, but that's one of the things we were going for with the Deja Vu. The "clean analog + long delay" is the hard part, because the more buckets you stack, the less clean the sound gets. It's good at first, but then it becomes too grungy with too long of delay times. The answer for most designers is companding around the BBD. That tightens and compresses the delayed sound to improve S/N ratio, but it also distills the sound of its transients and natural decay. I didn't like that. That's why we feed the BBD (set to a short delay time) with the digital repeat. If that's not clean enough, then you can blend in some digital with the BBD.

Seriously not trying to spam, it's just a subject I'm pretty familiar with at this point!

19. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Thanks Frank. I didn't know the Deja Vu has modulation! You guys need to get a demo video up!

When will it be available?

20. Bryan T

Exactly. Clean plus long delay times don't exist in an entirely analog delay. The new SD looks really cool.