Analog delay on the brighter side?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stella was a dive, Feb 3, 2015.

1. stella was a dive

stella was a dive Member

I know by nature they aren't bright, but I always thought my carbon copy was just too dark for me to enjoy. So, now I want one that's brighter. I don't care about modulation, and I don't care for a hugely long delay time. I know the aqua puss might fit the bill, but I want to know what else there is before I commit to that. I've been gassing hard for a DM2 or DM3, so I may go that route. what else is there? also considering a belle epoch or DMM XO. I have an idea of a delay sound in my head that is sort of a bright attacking delay, not sure if that's even a thing but I want it. I'm going to buy a boss digital delay to pair with it.

2. The_Wretched

The_Wretched Member

That's an odd one to search. Kind of a paradox. I think the JHS Panther Cub is not as dark that I've heard. Haven't owned one, but a lot of people I know that own(ed) one loved the sound. For cheaper option: Maybe the Malekko 616.

3. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

Boss DD5 is about as bright as they come

4. IndyMead

IndyMead Member

The Wampler Faux Analog Echo might be what you're looking for. It has a tone knob that only effects the echos. Its great.

5. jeancoltrane

jeancoltrane Member

i think you'd like the memory boy/memory boy dlx. it has a bright delay with a bass cut that sits nicely behind the guitar even at higher feedback.

6. ThePenwellCrash

ThePenwellCrash Supporting Member

What comes to mind first is a Malekko Echo 600 Bright if you can find one. My personal favorite is the Diamond Memory Lane 2 which has beautiful boxy repeats and a tone knob which works better than any other delay I've ever played. But it's a big box and expensive. Still, worth listening to some videos.

Those are both true analog, but if you're open to digital, you'll find a lot of contenders that have good tone control

7. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Aqua puss is probably what you're after. Echo puss is brighter than the CC, too (has a tone knob to control the brightness of the repeats). Moog MF delay is a little brighter/clearer than CC, also.

8. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

DD = digital delay = not analog.

9. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

I think the Aqua Puss is what you're after. It has the right amount of brightness (great for slapback).

The whole Memory Boy/Toy Line is too dark, at least I didn't really like it.

10. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

There are a fair amount of analog voiced digital delays out there now.
    Montavillian would be a reasonable choice, it has a cut knob on it which basically is a tone knob.
    PS, all the posts I've read by people who ditched the CC was because it was too dark for them,
    so I think the road is fairly wide open to you whichever way you go.

11. Daverij

Daverij Member

Mooer Ana Echo is great for brighter slap. Echo Puss is not suited for slap IMO.

12. stella was a dive

stella was a dive Member

what about a deep blue delay?

13. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Blueprint. Not analog but you won't care. Internal trims to set brightness just how you like.

He has some on his reverb page you can make him a lowball offer on.

14. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

EH Deluxe Memory Man

Analog delays are darker because of their hiss: filter out some higher frequencies allow to maintain noise down...the Memory Man is noisier and brighter, but for me is the ideal analog delay for guitar: I have the Tap Tempo 1100 version, bought new for 360€ and raised to 700$ in value, but that's another story...it's simply the best analog delay I have ever heard...if you don't need tap tempo try to get an XO, but with two MN3005 Bucket Brigade Chips if possible, 'cause they tend to sound better 'cause of easier calibration (two chips instead of four MN3007)...
    You can't buy a better delay in my opinion...anyway, the Carbon Copy sounds cool, but quite dark: if you have a dark amp can get muddy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXl4B1vYRzg

In my opinion, modulation is really important: just a tiny amount lets you create a very realistic "tape echo" sound...all that wow and flutter...really cool!

15. Daverij

Daverij Member

Not for slap, the rest: yes!

16. Daverij

Daverij Member

I mean modulation.

17. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

I like slapback with a mild chorus effect: maybe 'cause I love the Beatles and I'm used to that ADT sound! ;)

18. theroan

theroan Member

616, echo or aqua puss

19. nerdbot

nerdbot Member

Jacques prisoner delay.

20. mjl9787

mjl9787 Member

Arion SAD-1 is bright.