Analog Delay Pedals, choices...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SG John, Jul 13, 2008.

1. SG John

SG John Member

I'm in the market for an analog delay pedal. The choices I have in my price range so far, are the MXR Carbon Copy, Ibanez AD9, or a Keeley modded AD9. I like the true bypass being standard on the MXR, as well as the price. AnalogMan also makes an analog delay. The pedal would be used live at stage volume with an Electro-Harmonix Hot-Foot pedal attached to the delay pot to change delay sweeps while playing. I play in a heavyish psych/pop/punk/blues influenced band. I'd use it live and for recording. Quality will beat out price for the right pedal. I'd like to stay away from the Memory Man, just because of it's size. I'm running out of usable room on the floor.

Your suggestions please.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  2. Galapogos17

Galapogos17 Gold Supporting Member

I have the Analogman delay pedal and it's fantastic. The buffer is really good as well. I have the 600ms one, so it's not as good for slapback as the 300ms version, but I generally use it in the 350-400 range. If you want modulation, you are out of luck, so that might be a deciding factor. I compared it to an original DMM and I actually liked the way the Analogman pedal sounded. It was a bit clearer tone, but still very warm and the way the repeats fad into eachother when the feedback is set high is amazing. Also, I find that it keeps my original tone in tact! There are tons of better reviews to be found on here, but hopefully this helps a bit.
    best,
    Patrick

3. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Analogman delay or the memory lane? The AR20DL was by far my favorite delay, but no tap tempo made me move to the memory lane.

4. disguiseglasses

disguiseglasses Member

Does the MXR Carbon Copy
    self-oscillate at high feedback levels?
    I've been trying to find an old DM-2
    at a reasonable price for a while now
    and if I could just get the Carbon Copy,
    I'd be pleased.

Thanks for the info...
    cheers.

5. chaz

chaz Member

BBE Two-Timer is a good sounding true-bypass analog delay that switches between short & long delay ranges with seperate delay controls for both. Street price is about the same as a Carbon Copy. Can't compare the two since I haven't heard the CC, but the BBE does a good job.

6. ahltarocka

ahltarocka Supporting Member

I would definitly check out the CMATMODS Deeelay. Great pedal, great customer service, small price.

ROCK OUT:band:RoCkIn

7. teletalkin

teletalkin Supporting Member

Sitori Sonic Reel Repeat......best delay I've had!

8. mr. stanley

mr. stanley Member

Carbon Copy's are cool...have you checked out the Malekko delays? The 300 and 600 dark is supposed to be based on the DM-2.

9. lowinchi

lowinchi Member

Question - why is the AR20DL better for slapback than the double chip AR20XL? Why would the double chip, 600ms capacity change its potential for slapback?

10. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Quick question. How's the battery life on these analog delay pedals?

Minuets, hours, days?

11. sa1126

sa1126 Member

The malekko echo 600 bright is a great option. It is the best sounding delay I have ever heard- as bright as a digital delay but still has the warm analog character.

12. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

days

13. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Thanks. I've had a few digital delays and it's almost like you have to start your stopwatch when you plug them in.

I'm quite interested in one of the Malekko Dark 300 pedals, and I'm hoping I won't have to drop in a new battery every time I want to use it.

14. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

15. dead mike

dead mike Member

you got to put Guyatone on your list.

16. SG John

SG John Member

Thanks for your input thus far. I plan on using it with the hot foot to get way out spacy sounds. The hot foot is a gear rack and cable mounted to an expression pedal similar to a volume pedal. It's just like turning all the knobs while playing. I've been told analog pedals are the way to go for this. I'll see if a couple of shops will let me bring my hot foot along to try them out. The AnalogMan pedal is proving hard to find, and I have found a good deal for a Keeley modded Ibanez. Choices, choices, choices...

17. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

anyone have links to some analogman delay clips?

18. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

I had one and wound up preferring my trusty AD900 - just seemed better as I can always count on it to sound right in the mix - even as a reverb substitute. Maybe the Malekko was a touch more 'beefy'...a good pedal too.

19. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

+1 for Memory Man - tap tempo, modulation, expression pedal for feedback and great sounding.

20. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I just resurrected an old Ross R80 Stereo Delay - looks like my Delayla is going on the block. Man it's really hard to beat these old analog pedals for tone.