1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Analog Delay Problem

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by The Golden Boy, Jan 24, 2006.

1. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I don't use too many effects, but one that occassionally use is an analog delay; my favorite is an old Washburn. Last week or so I pulled out the delay, put in a fresh battery, plugged it up and noticed the pedal wasn't working. The LED lit up, but the signal seemed to be passing through. Any ideas?

2. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Already did that, thanks anyway!

I don't remember the model #, but it's the one on the upper right.

[​IMG]

3. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Unscrew the back and see if the battery snap came off the board. Then, see if the battery snap itself is any good. I had an old AD-9 that did this and it was the battery snap . Good luck. Mike

4. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

For anyone that was interested, the "mix" pot was shorted out. Essentially, the pedal was working fine, but with the mix pot shorted- it was telling the pedal to mix no affected signal into the mix.

5. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

That Washburn is an A-D9 Analog Delay.
    I have that same pedal. My very first delay pedal - and it led me on the analog delay junkie path that I am on today. From this to eventually the EchoCzar.
    Probably bought it new in the late 70's. I have always been suspicious that this pedal was built by Maxon and is the same (or very close) pedal as the Ibanez from the same era.
    Does anyone know anything about these Washburn's.
    It has been a very functional, gig worthy analog delay pedal, in my most humble opinion.

6. dbx

dbx Member

Good you got that sorted out...these older efx can sometimes have their fair share of errata that causes problems. Eventually you work out a troubleshooting elimination checklist...althought it helps to actually use it..I was putzing around the other night playing through a Delayla...thought it went down...turned out I had switched the bypass on my tuner...gotta stop hitting' the baked cheetos late at night...

BTW everyone knows analog delay is the gateway effect to harder, more expensive efx... :D

7. cubba65

cubba65 Member

Word to the mutha !!!

It's definitely hurt my wallet.

8. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbx

"BTW everyone knows analog delay is the gateway effect to harder, more expensive efx..."

You've got me seriously laughing over here. You don't know how true that statement is.
    It has been a very slippery slope ever since that first AD pedal.

9. dbx

dbx Member

:dude I actually just bought the new Jacques Prisoner Delay, it's supposed to have a studo quality NOS Panansonic MN3005 and modulation "...it's the last one...I swear it..."

:eek:

Back on point...those Washburns look similar to the Westbury Modular series pedals...underneath the large rubber footpad is a smaller contact switch. These sometimes need a spritz of some contact cleaner to get them working consistently again...

[​IMG]

10. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

If you think you feel silly...

I picked up that Boss DM-2 for virtually nothing. I was putzing around with it and it sounded great and I put it back in the drawer- just 'cuz it's in such good shape and I really enjoy the Washburn more. One day I pull out the Boss and it's acting really weird. It's like the repeat is stuck all the way on and it's doing stuff I don't want it to do. I messed with it on and off for a couple of days, sprayed out the pots and switch with contact cleaner- it's still behaving badly. I took it in to my favorite shop and it worked perfectly for him.

Yeah, the knobs aren't in the same place on each pedal. Yeah, I'm bright- I work with computers...:rolleyes:

:p

11. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Golden Boy,
    One more comment on that Washburn AD pedal in the "for what it's worth" category.
    My 15 year old, PRS slinging, Mesa screaming, Mars Volta loving, son thinks that the Washburn pedal rules. He tells me, in a most serious and informed manner, that all my other delay pedals suck. (He is also quite keen on an old maestro phaser of mine).

12. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

The only delay I found that I liked as much as the Washburn was some little, hot pink pedal (Goya?) that was over $300 a few years ago.