• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Analog Delay Recommendations

Samcav

Hi. I'm looking for recommendations for a nice analog delay with good modulation and nice sounding oscillation. A tap tempo is not necessary. Neither is a bazillion milliseconds of delay, (if it can, then great). Somewhere around 450-500ms as a minimum is good.

I have an echopuss. I love it. Touch bright. The oscillation is near non-existent, ...."ack ack" sound if you can get it there. The modulation is pretty ok, but a little weak if you're going for full seasick imo. (Which I am).

I stack delays–one at the end set slightly beyond slap(totally the echopuss's wheelhouse), and another in a loop paired with a boost for leads(this is what I'm looking for). I also keep my volume pedal after the first delay, right after the loop, because I like the dreamy swells.

I considered getting two echopusses because I dug it so much, but it just doesn't do the job here. I sold my rubberneck because I didn't like the sound. It was unorganic to me.

[I've got a subject-to-change shortlist going.

Malekko 616 dark:

Cons-hard to find, and some mention of quality issues in forums, feedback control seems meh.
Pros-reasonable price, modulation is nice, small footprint

DMM:

Cons-needs 24v, rather large
Pros-the repeats are pretty darn near perfect, oscillation is nice

Meet Maude:

Cons-possibly too dark, pricey, size
Pros- modulation and oscillation sound very nice, great controls.

Echo Dream(new to this one). Crossed off. This is digital.

The SD Vapor Trails also deserves to be on here.

The Tonal Recall seems to be a fan favorite. The demos indicate top notch sound, and very high quality. It is hands down the most expensive delay outside of the moog stuff.

...also, any delay that incorporates a boost is a win to me. This means less pedals, and a smaller, (likely more intuitive) board.]

Last edited:

Tabor

So the Echopuss is a touch bright you said... where do you have the tone control? All the way down?

Also you said the modulation is ok but a little weak if you’re going for seasick. Are you going for Seasick?

Samcav

So the Echopuss is a touch bright you said... where do you have the tone control? All the way down?

Also you said the modulation is ok but a little weak if you’re going for seasick. Are you going for Seasick?
The echopuss is covering my reverby sounds at the end of my chain right now, and I rather enjoy the brightness in this sense. Still, I keep the tone slightly below noon.

Seasick, yes. Definitely more. I should probably have mentioned that I stack delay–one at the end set slightly beyond slap(totally the echopuss's wheelhouse), and another in a loop paired with a boost for leads. I also keep my volume pedal after the first delay, right after the loop, because I like the dreamy swells.

I considered getting two echopusses because I dug it so much, but it just doesn't do the job here. I sold my rubberneck because I didn't like the sound. It was unorganic to me.

I'll edit this info in.

Guavadude

Check out the Duncan Vapor Trail. I can get it to sound really close to my 501 echo. Has a very organic tone, blends well and has a wet only out for stereo rigs. You can get them a lot cheaper than most. Killer slap back too.

Tabor

Well, if you’re using a loop pedal and a boost pedal combined with a delay to get to your lead sound you could probably just use the Maude by itself for that function since it has a volume knob for boost.

I’m not sure whether the modulation would get extreme enough for you on the “2” setting of the toggle. It’s pretty intense but in a different way from the standard LFO kind of modulation on most delays.

It’s definitely dark overall. Probably not the best choice if you want to play rhythmically against the delay but it‘s great for creating an atmosphere and as a unique delay flavor. I haven’t found anything else like it.

jawajt

I think the Deluxe Memory Man Tap Tempo may be a good fit for your needs. Fantastic sounding repeats, lush modulation, runs on 9 volts, a gain knob to adjust the volume, and the oscillation (which you can access by holding the tap switch) is the most musical and useable I’ve heard in an analog delay. It also has some other features you may find useful. It has lots of subdivision options. It has an effects loop. So you could even insert an eq pedal into the repeats, which could boost your leads even more than the gain knob. It’s really a fantastic delay pedal. Love mine.

fab38

There is one you should consider : DBA Echodream2.

- very nice and living dark voicing
- Delay time up to 1000 ms, best use IMHO around 400ms
- wonderful organic oscillation
- kill dry possibility
- fuzz/OD added if you want
- and rich modulation possibilities (sine / square waveform, from soft to really crazy)

Samcav

There is one you should consider : DBA Echodream2.

- very nice and living dark voicing
- Delay time up to 1000 ms, best use IMHO around 400ms
- wonderful organic oscillation
- kill dry possibility
- fuzz/OD added if you want
- and rich modulation possibilities (sine / square waveform, from soft to really crazy)
This is impressive and totally gets wild. It's going on the list.

placebo62

Diamond Memory Lane 2 is awesome. I think sometimes its interesting to find the pedals du jour of 5 or 10 years ago as they obviously sound great but can be had for reasonable prices used compared to peak hysteria.

Dan E. Lectro

The Stone Deaf Syncopy might be another one to consider. It was discontinued recently - maybe you can get a good deal somewhere.

JBassTeleGit

I think the Deluxe Memory Man Tap Tempo may be a good fit for your needs. Fantastic sounding repeats, lush modulation, runs on 9 volts, a gain knob to adjust the volume, and the oscillation (which you can access by holding the tap switch) is the most musical and useable I’ve heard in an analog delay. It also has some other features you may find useful. It has lots of subdivision options. It has an effects loop. So you could even insert an eq pedal into the repeats, which could boost your leads even more than the gain knob. It’s really a fantastic delay pedal. Love mine.
Well now I'm gonna try my old Deluxe Memory Boy as a lead boost with a little slapback.

jawajt

Diamond Memory Lane 2 is awesome. I think sometimes its interesting to find the pedals du jour of 5 or 10 years ago as they obviously sound great but can be had for reasonable prices used compared to peak hysteria.
The ML2 is a great pedal. I still have one in my collection of delays. The only "downsides" to that pedal are the power requirements and the modulation might be too subtle for some folks. Still a beautiful sounding delay though.

rawkguitarist

Sorry... the only analog delay I've owned was a Maxon AD900. Great pedal but I needed more functionality. I haven't played through one, but if I bought an analog box it would be a DOD Rubberneck. Has some super cool functions and hey, David Torn digs it.

stagolee

Gold Supporting Member
This is impressive and totally gets wild. It's going on the list.
That’s a digital approach, if that matters. Totally up to you. Seems like an interesting concept.

As for my own recommendation, it sounds like footprint and a slightly darker complement to your other options are of importance. I’d have to second the tonal recall suggestions and maybe add the thermae. On the simpler side, I really like my old DM-2s and recently acquired AD-80 (a touch brighter than the DM-2). Both sound so lovely and don’t take up much space.

Last edited:

Samcav

That’s a digital approach, if that matters. Totally up to you. Seems like an interesting concept.

As for my own recommendation, it sounds like footprint and a slightly darker complement to your other options are of importance. I’d have to second the tonal recall suggestions and maybe add the thermae. On the simpler side, I really like my old DM-2s and recently acquired AD-80 (a touch brighter than the DM-2). Both sound so lovely and don’t take up much space.
Gah, I thought it was too good to be true. I dug around and found Andy Othling (sp?) saying it was analog, so I believed him.

it.https://youtu.be/LZ8CQCowhKU

I dug the dm2w, and the little toggle was pretty nifty. Just a lack of modulation. If I can sell one of my instruments, the tonal recall will be on the table. I'll check out the thermae.

The big kicker is if the delay can boost my signal, it would get rid of two more pedals on my board (boost & loop).

I'm going to get jumped, but.......I used to have a 2-chip AD900, and–I didn't like it.

Trending Topics