"Analog" delay to go with my rig?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bluntage, Jan 9, 2008.

1. bluntage

bluntage Member

Let me begin by confessing my ignorance concerning delay. I've been a minimalist from the get-go and have never really dabbled in it. That said, my head is spinning with all the delay talk around here lately... and now, with the help of a constant stream of Pink Floyd from my iPod, I've got delay GAS! I've researched a bit and listened to some clips, but I'd like some advice.

My current rig: Les Paul BFG > Clyde Deluxe > Dejavibe > Super Duper > Strobostomp > Orange Rockerverb 50. I use my amp's overdrive for all my dirt needs (however, I've been flirting with fuzzes for a bit of variety but I haven't bonded with any yet). Oh yeah, I play mostly classic and modern rock.

I'm looking for a delay that would sound good in front (to save on cable runs) but I am not opposed to running the delay in the effects loop of the Orange. I really want a nice analog (-ish) tone. Originally, I've always thought I'd need a delay with long repeats but as I've been researching and listening to my favorite artists, it seems that 600ms would suffice. Also, I am not sure I would need or use modulation, but I am very intrigued by the possibility. Despite the overwhelming number of choices, my current "shortlist" is:

EHX DMM (w/mods)
    Malekko Ekko 600 Bright
    Black Box Quicksilver
    Freakshow Digilog
    Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport

What would best suit my rig and needs? Opinions for or against any of these? To be honest, I was leaning towards the DMM or the Ekko 600 but some of BB, FS, and ED clips really got the creative juices flowing.

Thanks,
    Brad

2. kevinsaari

kevinsaari Member

You'll need to run your delay in the loop if you use amp overdrive. Delay into an overdriven amp sounds really terrible.

3. bluntage

bluntage Member

Yeah, I figured that would be the case... thanks! :dude

It won't be a problem, so long as the delay I end up with works well in a loop... the Rockerverb's loop is pretty nice imho.

4. kevinsaari

kevinsaari Member

No problem. :).

So are you ONLY looking for analog delays, or are you open to analog voiced delays? If you're willing to go with something that's not actually analog, my suggestion would be a Nova Delay.

5. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

HBE Mimic 2 is quality, good sounding analog delay that can be had for about $225. I've also heard good things about the Analogman delay, but they are hard to come by. But if you want to stick to your short list, I would try to get some first hand use with your setup to see what intergrates itself best with your stuff.

6. bluntage

bluntage Member

I'm open. The ones I listed were purely based on clips and such, several of them are analog-voiced digital delays, I believe. The Nova looked a bit complicated to me, but I have read good things about it. Can you get really warm analog Gilmour tones out of that thing?

7. amc

amc Member

The Analogman 600ms delay is hard to find and buy used because few owners are willing to part with such a great pedal. I'm not selling mine.

8. cml145

cml145 Member

Love my Maxon AD999...pretty versatile and doesn't get crazy on you very fast like most analogs.

9. codyj84

codyj84 Member

I have a Keeley modded AD-9 that I run after my DD-5. I love it.