Analog Delay with External Tap input

I want try and find a true analog delay with tap input to sync with my disaster area micro.clock but would prefer they not make the ramping or spaceship sound when changing tempo's. That is a feature common to digital pedals (El Cap / Timeline etc) but would like on a true analog.
Something like the JHS Panther Cub or Deluxe Carbon Copy would be ideal if that were the case.

Just throwing this out there for suggestions or if I'm stuck with Digital approximations of Analog Delay

oansun

Supporting Member
Just by nature of the tech, doing tap on an analog Delay is going to make a noise.
There’s always Chase Bliss Tonal Recall, swapping presets would be easier and would have less of that sound overall

As others have said, what you're asking for is a fundamental impossibility. Analog delays (BBDs/tape) create pitch effects when their clock/motor is adjusted. The only workaround would be muting your delay when changing tempo.

chriselkjar

This is a limitation of the tech for sure. You'd need to have some type of dual analog delay engine to switch between the active and a second circuit with the adjusted tempo. I don't think this exists.

Thanks guys for chiming in to confirm. wanted to be sure I wasn't missing a product that had this feature. I ordered an Alexander Quadrant to see how the analog delay sim is on it since it has the glide feature when tapping new delay times.
BTW...I think the Dunlop is digital with tape simulation but has and analog dry path (may be a good option also)

I use the ARP-87 in analog mode and use a micro.clock to change tempo presets. It does not make a ramping noise in analog mode when changing tempos using the external tap input. I’m with you on needing to switch tempos without it going crazy. While it is not a true analog delay, I do like having a modulation and hi cut knob.

Yea those sounds are some of my favorite things about analog Delay but the mechanisms by which analog delays work and make those sounds possible work against using things like tap tempo in real time with them. Which is part of the reason things like the CC are so popular and lack TT. It works better with digital circuits in the application your talking about.

So like you already said above OP I believe you’re on the right track with digital sim of an analog Delay..., I’m sure there is one that does this perfectly.

DisasterArea

Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals
Thanks guys for chiming in to confirm. wanted to be sure I wasn't missing a product that had this feature. I ordered an Alexander Quadrant to see how the analog delay sim is on it since it has the glide feature when tapping new delay times.
BTW...I think the Dunlop is digital with tape simulation but has and analog dry path (may be a good option also)
More importantly you can turn the Glide off if you ever tire of it :)

jimk4003

Chase Bliss Tonal Recall (either blue or red knob model).

True BBD analogue delay, with a tap tempo switch on the pedal itself, and an input to connect an external tap tempo switch.

Jason UP

Supporting Member
oh...but it's designed as an analog delay and sure sounds analog...has that nice darkness to it, etc. I have it on my board next to a Nova Delay and now THAT's a digital delay haha