Analog delay without tap tempo, how can you use it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GonzaU2, May 26, 2015.

1. GonzaU2

GonzaU2 Member

I know this is a stupid question, but as a HUGE fan of U2 (just see my nick...) and Edge's guitar work, I can't really understand how the analog delay can work without the tap switch. Well, of course I know how it works, but how do you guys do it when you're with your band? Just move the knob little by little 'til you find the mark that sounds the best for the tempo of the song? Because even with that, is very likely that the delay tempo won't be 100% exact to the tempo of the song, right?

And then, what if you have to move the knob several times within the same concert? You just make marks with a pen or sth like that so you know where you have to come back?

I don't know, it just looks extremely inaccurate to me, but well of course I must be mistaken, even Edge used a Memory Man with no tap tempo on their first albums.

In my case, I don't know what would I do without my tap switch on my EHX Deluxe Memory Boy LOL

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Think about the history of the situation. Edge had a few units. They could be dialed to various tempos as needed by the tech. Certainly marked with console tape/sharpie.
    And the delayed guitar hook is what creates the foundation of the song, so the band basically uses that for their tempo.
    And letting the tempo be slightly off from perfect synch allows the music to sound, well, musical- instead of like disco.

3. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Back in the day, I notched a few scratches in my delay pedal the get the tempo marked.

4. msnes335

msnes335 Supporting Member

You can't, don't even try. It was a hellscape before TT came along. I suggest if you have any vintage delay pedals you sell them on the emporium immediately, for whatever price you can get (PM me first and let me know what you have).

BobbyFudge and jw112 like this.
  5. erksin

erksin Member

The Edge didn't seem to need it - but what does he know about dotted 8ths, right? lol

6. GonzaU2

GonzaU2 Member

I think I get it now... The song is made after the delay has been settled, and not the other way round... Is that what you've said right? That makes a lot of sense, because otherwise you would need to move the "time" knob little by little 'til finding the mark that works.

I'm just surprised because many great delays built nowadays doesn't include this tap function... For me it was always quite clear that I needed one, I use delay pretty much in every song.

7. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Twist the delay knob until in synches up with the tempo. I use my Carbon Copy as more of a reverb or slapback delay with a low mix.

8. corbetta

corbetta Supporting Member

For rhythmic delays, you can use a basic formula to figure out the ms corresponding to your target rhythmic value as explained on this webpage:
    http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-bpmtempotime.htm

If your analog delay has 500ms of max delay time, you'd know the ball-park range where you'd need to set it for your target time value, and you'd fine-tune it by ear. Once you found your setting you'd mark it with tape or a sharpie and you'd be good to go.

9. GonzaU2

GonzaU2 Member

LOL!!!! hahahaha

Nahhh I just own a humble Memory Boy, but will let you know if I plan to buy some vintage stuff :p

10. GonzaU2

GonzaU2 Member

What does he even know about delays right?? hahaha

Corbetta I understand what you mean, but then you'd need several marks, right? In case you use delay for several songs with different tempo, at the end it could be a mess hahaha

11. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Most songs any band plays are within about 2 or 3 general tempos anyway unless you're doing some weird stuff. So you get to know where on your time knob those sweet spots are and stick to them. Drummers always speed up and slow down but a good delay keeps them in time!

12. theroan

theroan Member

Fattening solos. I'm also pretty sure that The Edge had a tech change the settings for each songs.

13. bobbradley

bobbradley Supporting Member

;)I use my ears to do it...

14. Telecasteur

Telecasteur Member

The Edge probably sets the tempo and their drummer plays to him.

That said, didn't he eventually switch to a 2290?

Make markings on your pedal and play with an awesome drummer.

15. Nota

Nota Member

Yup.

I've covered U2 songs with my CC. It sounded fine.

People get so bent out of shape covering things and think they have to sound *exactly* like the original. Just ain't true. Your audience doesn't know an AC30 from a cardboard box, and they certainly can't tell the difference between an analog and digital delay.

When I'm covering one of the very few songs I play out that has a syncopated delay, I just take a brief moment to turn the knob before the song starts. I usually know generally where it goes, and a few degrees off doesn't matter.

bobbradley likes this.
  16. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

That's entirely the point of NOT using a tap switch. I never use tap tempo. Don't need it with analog delays. My DMM is perfect just the way it is.

17. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

Edge used analog delays mainly for U2's first couple of albums. His guitar sound (and delay style) was quite a bit different than the whole dotted 8ths/Streets sound that he later delved into.

18. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

#discobeforedeath
    #hiphopdenier
    #ionlylistentothe"good"music

19. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

not really. "Electric co" from the first U2 album is pretty much the exact same thing.

20. ryandfl

ryandfl Supporting Member

I just play at the same tempo all the time.