Analog Delay?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Heady Jam Fan, Jul 24, 2019.

1. 71strat

71strat Member

2. Killshakes

Killshakes Member

I had at Retro-Sonic and really didn’t like it. The repeats decayed into a thin, almost click-like sound, and the short / long feature was largely useless. Ideal “long” and “short” settings are generally not the same, and often a decent setting in “long” resulted in screaming feedback in “short”. OD and gain pedals also seemed to cause the Retro-Sonic to feedback.

I have and LOVE the Maxon AD999. Great sound, simple controls, beautiful almost reverb-like repeats, and TB. It’s big-ish, and has side mounted jacks, but other than that it’s perfect.

The Maxon AD9 Pro Plus is a good, smaller alternative to the AD999, and gets close to its sound, though it isn’t exactly the same, and has less delay time (600 ms or so). It might do the job for you.

If I were looking for a inexpensive smaller alternative to either the AD999 or AD9 Pro Plus, I’d probably give the Ibanez AD Mini a try.

stanshall likes this.
  3. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

I think you're on the right track with the ARDX20. It might be a little darker than the AD9 but I'm not sure. I think the ARDX20 is comparable to the AD900 in the tone of the delay line.

Since you're going for multiple repeats don't forget to adjust the trimpot inside. I think it's "RT6". If I remember right it controls the gain to the delay line but basically if you set it so the delay line seems quieter then it'll be easier to get more repeats without them crumbling into noise. Strangely, I think it actually turns the gain down (gets quieter) as you turn the trimmer clockwise.

I've had the standard CC twice. I agree that the CC is brighter and more percussive than many of the other analog options out there. Not as bright as the DMM but still in that general direction.

I agree. Some of the lower prices I've seen are: ARDX20 - $200-225, Tonal Recall Blue - $240, ARDX20 + Amaze1 = $275-300, Tonal Recall Red knob $300 and up. Personally, I much prefer the ARDX to the Tonal Recall when it comes to the actual sound and I also think it's likely to be more similar to the tone you're used to... I also find having actual knobs for the different settings easier than establishing a preset.

The Maxon AD999 that @Killshakes recommended is another delay I own and like a lot but it won't give you the two delay times you want. The Bondi looks interesting but its $400. They advertise that it is a DM-2 variant but they also tout it as "percussive". It sounds brighter than the ARDX20 in demos...

The only thing I'll say against the ARDX20 is that it might "tighten" the low end of your signal a little. It isn't necessarily dead neutral but it is pretty darn close and it doesn't roll off high end or do much to alter the feel of the guitar + amp. If you're going for those long repeats and sort of pad-like thing then having a little more clarity in the low end can help, especially with a darker delay line...

Heady Jam Fan likes this.
  4. aaronjcurtis

aaronjcurtis Member

So, you notice when you engage the pedal your tone gets brighter? I notice that with mine too. Never thought much about it as I have mine on all the time. Yeah, I guess there is some tone suck then.

5. Glitch Magnet

Glitch Magnet Supporting Member

Just a point of fact, you shouldn't discount digital based on your experience with the Strymon El Capistan. That is a tape delay emulator, very different from their bucket brigade analog emulator, the Brigadier. I'm not necessarily claiming digital can or can't sound like an authentic analog delay, but at least make sure you're comparing the right products.

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  6. Mincer

Mincer Member

And it has a way cool insert jack to affect the echoes only...I use it all the time.

conrad79 and Vaibhav Joshi like this.
  7. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

I have a DBD & like it..
    Now in the market for another delay & would like to try pure analog.
    Mooer Ana Echo would be a budget option but I need more than 300ms.
    Looks like CC is my only option, reasonable. Just today I read on the SD Vapour Trail, it was found to be better than the CC in the delay sound & the fx loop.
    Do consider it, out of my budget though.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  8. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

I'll check this out.. I already have a DBD & want something way darker.
    Thanks!

9. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Not to me.

Heady Jam Fan and Tabor like this.
  10. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

I'm trying to figure out the CC a bit better. Help me out.
    I only played through it once & just for a few seconds.. it sounded bright with the repeats but they degraded as per the analog flavour & they smeared..
    I've read that the CC is smeary, which I'll like.
    Already have a DBD clone, it's tone suck makes it darker & better. Wow.
    For my 2nd delay, I want quite dark a delay but not looking for slapback.
    I think in general, old & vintage delays have a very warm tone & decay. Their new versions tend to sound brighter .

11. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

What is your budget for this new darker analog delay?

The SD takes off some high end from your signal and adds some compression so keep that in mind. It does not have an EXP input. That is an FX loop so you can change the delay line by adding other pedals in the loop (which is a great feature imo).

again, I don't consider the CC or the SD to be "dark" analog delays. They're kind of medium or if anything toward the brighter side as far as the tone of the repeats. They do both have a bit of that reverberant smear...

The Echo Puss can actually get pretty dark with its tone knob and it has a nice modulation section. I experienced a slight volume drop and a little added compression with the 2 units I tried but it's a nice sounding delay and can be set darker than the CC or SD and is very affordable on the used market.

12. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

Yeah, me either. I doubt I'd prefer the modulation from the Amaze1 over the modulation pedals I already use in the FX loop of the ARDX20 and I don't use tap tempo so, for my purposes, the Amaze controllers don't add anything substantial to the way I use the pedal.

Bluesful likes this.
  13. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I tried a Rubber Chicken in there a while back.

That was fun.

14. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Thanks for pointing out the differences, I've edited my post as well.
    I don't mind a delay being digital or analog in it's circuitry but want an analog flavour in the sound.
    I'm trying my own DBD along with the different options in a Line 6 POD to figure out what works better. I think the reverberant smearing quality that you refer to maybe handy as I don't intend to play anything ambient but just want a delay + reverb kind of effect but with 2 delays.
    Didn't like delay + reverb when I tried it earlier. It just softens the edges; 2 delays have more going on.
    My budget is low since I already have the rig set up & doesn't make much sense to have a 2nd delay more expensive than my entire rig. (max = 100$).
    Also, where I live the market is different, so it's a little tough otherwise I would have tried a lot of things used.
    Though I'm planning to make the analog delay as the primary.

Considering how SD/CC & other modern delays have a brightness to them as well, I have thought of using a delay with a tone knob.
    Saw a Carl martin Red Repeats on ebay.. it can be shipped to India but will end up costing me 130 $ overall. It has a tone knob & compares to the DBD..
    Does anyone know about the Carl Martin Red Repeat & how it compares to a Carbon Copy ??
    But now I'm just wondering if it makes sense to go through all the hassle & get a similar sounding 'budget' delay to what I already have.

I've thought of the echo puss as well but here they are quite pricey & no used ones to catch.
    I think I'll just end up not buying anything as has happened so many times recently.

15. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

It's hard to advise given the differences in the market. EchoPuss is about $100 or less in the US...

Another I'd recommend checking out is the Montavillian by Catalinbread. It can get very dark and murky; darker than most BBD delays.
    It is discontinued but there are some available used and, again usually for around $100 or slightly more when they sell.
    It does have some preamp coloration of the dry signal: a little darkening and a bit of a boost but the repeats sit really well behind whatever you're playing and should help get you that reverberant blend of delays that you're talking about when combined with another delay.

EDIT: A lot of that kind of blended reverberant double delay sound comes from dialing in the delays. Low mix and plenty of repeats. The settings can be as important as the actual pedals used.

16. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

I heard about the Montavillian in another thread. I'll check it out but I don't think I can get it here.
    I agree, the blend of delay can get yo a lot of sounds but you need to understand how stacking of delay is working. I tried it yesterday & decided that I need another delay.
    I'm still trying to figure out what kind of mix, time & repeats work at different stages.
    If I find I can manage within 300 ms, I may look at the Mooer Ana Echo.
    Anyway, short delay times are the usable kind.

Edit: Echo Puss is available new here for 210$. At 100$ used, I wouldn't have thought twice.. For now, I'll put that money into a tube amp or a keyboard :)
    Thanks mate! :beer

Tabor likes this.
  17. monty

monty Member

Smeary is a good word for it, but again, I don't find it bright. I have a couple of other analog delays and maybe just compared to them the CC is dark.

18. stargazer747

stargazer747 Member

MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay!

19. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Im in the minority around here in that I am not a fan of the strymon or Eventide delay boxes or any other digital stuff. I think its from playing with the DMMs as a youth that tone just got in my head and the sterile nature of digital delays don't do it for me. I did use an old Ibanez AD99 and then a Maxon for a while and I liked them. I think I have owned 30+ delays over the years. I will always love DMM's but they just are't practical.

I have an ADRX20 and an Amazio as my favorite and constant delay pedal for many years now (since they first came out). I also have a DOD rubber neck that I like for long chewy dark stuff. But the Analogman delay works well live and cuts through with out being sterile or shrill I use the tap tempo on the Amazio a lot and though there are a lot of wires and its a space hog (not as bad as a DMM), its worth it. Its a great delay.

20. PSQRCL

PSQRCL Member

Yes, for what you’re after the Art Van Delay will fit the role. It’s also got tap tempo which you could use to tap in long delay times to get a pseudo sound on sound but washed out Lo-fi tone.

Check out some sounds: