Analog Man DD3 Mods vs. other delays

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheGuildedAge, Sep 18, 2006.

1. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

Has anyone comapred these to a memory man, memory lane, etc. I just sold a Memory Man and Jacques Prisoner because the memory man was muddy and the jacques delay tiem was too short.

I seem to think I like prisinte tones, but darker repeats. Should I just send him my dd3, I have always like the dd3.

2. jbro

jbro Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like a modded DD3 might be right for you. Personally I prefer the "blurring" that happens with an analog delay - but if you want pristine (but slightly darker) repeats then it's probably just what you're looking for. I've done a similar mod to around a dozen DD3's and everyone was very happy with it (I used one for quite a while myself). The only thing to be aware of is that it will limit the feedback of the pedal (depending on the cap value, you may not be able to drive it to oscillation, if you're into that).

3. psquared

psquared Supporting Member

The modded DD-3 would be a great way to go. Another route to try would be what I did. I tracked down an old Ibanez Echomachine and sent it to Indyguitarist who rehoused it w/ a true bypass switch for a very reasonable price. It's a great 'in between analog and digital' echo.

4. Creamy

Creamy Member

Although I haven't heard the AM modded DD-3, I've heard the Keeley modded DD-3 and have to say I was blown away by what it could do. Like DMM, you can add a modulation effect via the added effects loop. You just have to include your pedal(s) of choice into the loop. In this sense, its a little more like the Diamond Memory Lane. In addition to the effects loop, Keeley cleans up the electronics and adds a three way switch for different delay types - ranging from ultra-clean digital to a much softer echo. I heard a phaser in the effects loop that was set up to gradually drive the echoes into oscillation - and a different set up to add swirlyness to the echoes and echoes echoes, etc. IMO it is a pretty cool effect for ambiance and spatial landscapes. Of course, if you want only delay, it does that too.

5. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

I just received my Analogman DD-3 last week. I have previously owned the EH DMM reissue, Maxon AD-999, Line 6 DL4, Line 6 Echo Park, Boss DM-3, standard Boss DD-3, Boss DD-20, H&K Replex, SPF I-5, Dano Reel Echo, T-Rex Replica, and probably a few others I can't remember now. After all of this experimentation (covered about a 2 year period) I determined that for all the hype about analog delay's warmth I actually prefer the added clarity offered by digital. I found the standard DD-3 to be just the ticket, EXCEPT there were times when I wished there was a tone knob to take some treble off the repeats. The Analogman DD-3 does just that. IMO, it does not sound quite like a true analog delay. To my ears it sounds a little cleaner, even with the switch on the darker of the two settings. I am finding that I prefer the switch on the lighter setting for longer delays, and on the darler setting for short, slap-back like settings. The only time I'm putting it at the stock setting is with certain distortion pedals in front of it that have a dark sound to begin with where I need to retain some clarity. Otherwise, the more subtle treble roll-off setting sounds best to my ears. It definitely ended my recent quest for a useable/versatile delay. Not overly complicated like the Line 6 stuff. For me simple is better!

6. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

Done deal, my boss dd3 is on its way to mike tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips.

7. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I've had the AM DD3, DD5, and DD6, and loved the sound of every one.
    Takes that brittleness off but still gives you some long delay times.
    I'm having another DD5 HiCut by Mike, then off to PedalDoctor for his rehouse with Tap Tempo including, all in a nice Swankbox!
    For me, this will be the best delay choice out there, and will go nicely with my Keeley AD9. :)

8. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I basically agree with the posters thoughts on analog v digital. I've owned many analogs, and it's the DLS EchoTap that does it for me. It's simply great.

9. 12StringStrat

12StringStrat Member

I've got a clip I made comparing the AM DD-6, DM-3, and the analog setting on the DD-20. If someone has somewhere they want to post it, I can send it to them. Basically, what I found is that for live purposes you'd hardly ever tell a difference. However, as people have said, the digital one still has a bit cleaner sound to it (just a tad less warmth), whereas the DD-20 nails the DM-3 almost perfectly. For compact pedalboard space, I'd take any of the modded Boss DD-series. But if you need the memory banks, like I do, the DD-20 gives you fantastic tones every time (with many more features worth exploring). I can't live without the modulation setting of the DD-20 for getting U2 sounds.

10. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I have the DD-3 with Analogmans mod in and it is well worth doing, it takes a great sounding digital delay and makes it better!

11. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey guys,

I have to agree with jlagrassa. +1 for the Analogman DD-2 High cut mod I had Mike install on my old stock Boss DD-2. I love how the highs are rolled off by the switch in its left or right position and can come back to digital in the middle position. It's truly a work of art!!

Guitar George

12. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I didn't know the dd20 had modulation.