1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Analog Man MINI BICOMP

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tim Bowen, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

http://www.analogman.com/rossmod.htm#mini Any experience here with this one? I've always went for the rawer side of twang, and have mostly avoided the slick Nashville-approved squashed tones. However, some new material is screaming for comp on the chicken pickin' and B-bender stuff, so I probably need to make a move. I love my Menatone JAC, and use it frequently for acoustic-electric jobs, but it doesn't really do super squash, and plus, it's too big for the board in question, as is Mike's BI-COMPROSSOR. Speaking of which... the BI-COMPROSSOR has an externally mounted attack control, whereas the BI-COMP has an internal trimmer for such. These pedals caught my eye due to the dual channels - the prospect of setting one side up for clean twang and the other for slightly dirty slide tones is fairly attractive. How big a deal would it be to set the trimmer for a good 'middle-of-the-road' setting that would work well for each approach? For the record, I'm not a big fan of internal trimmers, so this would pretty much make or break the deal for me. Other stomps that have my interest are the Keeley and the Retro-Sonic. By the way, I've read the other 457 or so compressor threads here over the last week, and remain confounded and overwhelmed by the choices. Hopefully, my query here is focused/specific enough as to not beat the dead horse. Thanks in advance for your insight and opinions.

2. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

I LOVE the Bi-CompRossor (I've got 3 of them!). It used to be my job to set the trimmers in all the Bi-Comps. The Attack is for the Ross side only. It allows for either a more percussive pick attack or a more legato attack. It's pretty subtle, but you can definitely hear it. It's nice to have the knob on the outside, but I think a lot of players have a preference they usually stick with, in which case having the trim pot on the inside is no big deal. It's not like you'll be wanting to pop the pedal open between songs at a gig or something. The factory setting for the attack trim is right in the middle. You get the classic Ross/Dyna squash.

3. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Oh, in answer to your other question - the other side of the Bi-Comp, the Juicer, has it's own trim pot. This may have been what you were thinking of. It's sort of like an internal gain. The factory setting is set to sound like the original Orange Squeezer. But you can go in and turn the trimmer up a bit so it runs a little hot. This gives you that dirty comp/boost effect (which I happen to like). Even at the factory setting the Juicer has plenty of gain, so if you crank it up you'll get a boost effect. But by running it a little hot, you can use it as a slightly gritty clean boost/comp.

4. billybob77036

billybob77036 Member

I would skip the Bi-comp, and go stright for the "Small COMPROSSOR" listed under subtopic number "1B". I don't think I would ever use the Jucier side of the Bi-comp.

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I love my mini bi-comp; and for 99% of what I do, I use only the Jucier side. I have never once even thought to mess with the trimmers inside, it just sounds fantastic.

6. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I've got Serial # 73 and it's the older 3 knob Bi-Comp. I've been using is for 2 yrs now, and it's always on. I leave it on the Ross side and use the Juicer for the snappy popin country licks. I love this thing and I don't think I would ever change it out.

[​IMG]

7. Franklin

Franklin Member

I would love to have a mini or full size bi-comp. Mike makes great pedals, and like Tom says you don't really have to worry about the trimpot for attack -set it and forget it! I will own one eventually, if only for slide!

8. Ted James

Ted James Member

Just recieved - literally just 10 minutes ago our mail left it on my desk - my new mini bicomp. As well as one of his tubescreamers. Very pumped. I know what I'm doing tonight.

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I like both of these sounds... I have a CompROSSor and a Tone Factor Squeeze Factor (Orange Squeezer clone). The SF has a blend knob and a volume knob, which is cool because you can are just dialing in varied amounts of the "classic OS 'all the way up' sound". Both great pedals.

10. Ted James

Ted James Member

Hey, bit off topic - but - order wise should I run it bicomp>TS9 or TS9>bicomp???..... think I've seen both recomended. Running tele '52 reissue>strobostomp>picture wah> ?? > mesa lone star special. Playing massively self indulgent noodly jamband stuff.

11. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

Yes I remember when I got a bicomp a few years ago after t he comp comp comp - I wanted the Ross side and thought the juicer would be fun but I probably wouldnt use it ---- ended up the other way around - the Juicer side is more lively since its more limiter than compressor, keeps the dynamic floor rollin...

Tim, since you like the JAC you would probably like the squeeze factor with the clean blend, and I think McBrooms coming out with a McSqueeze/PedalworX version soon

12. telebuck

telebuck Supporting Member

Thanks to a couple of recent compressor threads I went back and rediscovered my AM Mini Bi-comp. What a great pedal. I played around with the internal trimmer on the Ross side and it does subtley change the degree of squash. I set it for slightly less squash and more legato, but there is still plenty of compression in a clean tone model.

But man do I love the juicer side. Adds a slight bit of color and hair to tones. Put any amount of overdrive after it and it sounds incredible. Best tones I've gotten out of my rig in a while. Juicer into the honeybee is beautiful.

The only thing I need to play around with more is where to put it in the chain. Right now I have it after my klon, wah, vibe, and phaser, and just before a java boost and the overdrive pedals.

13. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Great info here, thanks folks! Well alrighty then, I'm thinking that the Mini will be my next purchase. Ted James, as always, my advice is to experiment with signal chain order, as what works for one guy or gal might not be the ticket for yourself. Conventional wisdom is to place comp. earlier in the chain, before other gainers. This promotes the singing sustain thing. Placing comp after OD's and such preserves dynamics more (sort of an oxymoron really, as comps are all about screwing with dynamics and transients - but that's not to say it wouldn't/couldn't be a good choice). Placing the comp later in the chain also better facilitates its use as a volume boost, if such is desired, and a drawback is that this configuration can be more noisy. For the board that the Mini would live on, the gain section is currently Eternity --> Klon --> BJFE Sea Blue EQ. It's a fairly small board, and as I'd really like to keep these basic functions intact, as well as add the comp, I'm also considering purchasing an RC Booster to sub for my beloved Klon. I'll never part with the venerable big gold stalwart, but if RC can grok 90% of that vibe and occupy a smaller footprint, I'm willing to give it a whirl. Other than the gainers and utlity boxes, balance of this particular board is comprised of delays, my true love. Maxon AD-900 --> BOSS DM-2 --> DLS Echo-Tap (which just arrived a few days back, very nice).