Analog Man Sun Face with HIGH GAIN NKT's!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jumblefingers, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

Just thought I would post some info as I recently bought a Sun Face with the high gain NKT's and it really is a wonderful fuzz. I love/loved the standard NKT's as they produced a warm, rich fuzz and clean up really fast. My only complaint was the inability to get longer sustain as I use single coils.

So I ordered a version with the high gain NKT's and think this is now my #1 fuzz of choice...besides the DAM MKII. If the standard NKT went to 9 the high gain goes to 12-13. You can almost get into big muff sustain territory and it is amazingly quiet even when maxed with a standard Tele! I was shocked really at how quiet it is on both hiss and hum even when maxed on the fuzz.

There is a bit more grit to the fuzz on less than max settings than the standard NKT and it does not clean up quite a totally as the standard version though it gets pretty close. There is also a lot more "useful" settings of the Fuzz knob...a wider range of tones too and it is still VERY responsive to guitar vol/tone changes.

On the neck pu with the fuzz maxed and tone fully off I was into FRIPP territory and I got some really great Steve Hillage type lead tones as well. AC/DC classic rock tones at slighty lower settings with the bridge PU.

The only down side, if there is one is the lack of 100% clean up until you turn the guitar volume down pretty far but you get VERY close to 100% clean pretty fast with just a hint of dirt. It also sounds great going into an OD that is responsive to guitar volume like my Blackstone. Between the two pedals I can get an amazing array of sounds. Really a wonderful fuzz all around!

2. JMarck

JMarck Member

Ah Ha! I ordered one last Friday and I can't wait to get it! Does it do the "hendrix" thing in spades with SC's?

--Josh

3. ROKY

ROKY Member

Nice review, I'll have to put that one on the short list .

4. Jumblefingers

I'd say yes...it is very versatile and just a slight bit more gritty than the regular NKT's which can be just a "tad" bit too smooth...just a tad. It's a great fuzz; responsive, great tone and quiet!

5. russv

russv Member

I would be interested in this if your Nu Fuzz hadn't ended my Fuzz Face search.:)

6. Jumblefingers

Yes in deed...the Retoman NuFuzz is a WONDERFUL fuzz and likely the MOST under-rated/ignored fuzz on the planet and TGP. I will be ordering a High Octone and thus that one went to you. Have not heard the NuFuzz with NKT's but I can only imagine how good it would be.

7. russv

russv Member

I am sure it would be good, but I am plenty please with as setup. Good stuff, fuzz on.

8. gregory49

gregory49 Member

when mike re-releases the sunlion i'm probably going to special order one with the high gain nkts.. I've got the old sunlion now and i love it. Great pedal

9. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Maybe it's voiced more like the Peppermint. Which is an underrated fuzz around here.

10. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

thanks for this thread... I've been meaning to get the high gains put into my SunLion myself..... I'm hoping the high gains will be more present in a band mix, as I've heard mentioned...... any experience in a band context yet?