Analog Man Sunface vs. London MJM

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MGuts, Feb 21, 2009.

1. MGuts

MGuts Member

How do these two pedals compare? I just bought a Fulltone 70's and it's not really my thing I don't think. I think I would rather have a Germanium fuzz. I noticed that the MJM is a lot cheaper which is a big plus. However, there's a Analogman dealer in my area, so I'd be able to check it out before buying which is also a plus. They have one in stock with the Sundial. Thanks.

2. soapbladder

soapbladder Member

No help, but just curious as to where there's an Analogman Dealer in the Chitown area?

I have the Sunface, it's wonderful, but doubt you'd go wrong with the mjm either.

SB

3. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

I have the London Fuzz and I'd say the same, it's amazing but I imagine the analogman is as well. For a comparision, I've always heard that the MJM has more gain and is a little darker (both are qualities I prefer), but the Analogman has a more vintage correct slightly lower gain and less dark tone.

4. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Supporting Member

WE can debate on this two for months. The best suggestion I can give is. Buy both! Then keep the one that really works for your set-up. You can't go wrong with either. All I can is that the LF has a bit more gain and creamier than the SF, but hey you might not like that. To each his own, right? ;)

5. MGuts

MGuts Member

Thanks for that link. It's nice to be able to hear them both through the same set up.

Fat Tone Guitars in Northbrook, IL, (pretty sure it's Northbrook) has Analog Man.

I think I might like a little bit more drive (kinda bridges the gap between the germanium and the silicon sounds hopefully), and I like a little bit of a darker tone since I'm playing it through a BlackFace inspired amp. Thanks for the help.

I might have to take FuzzFace's advice and get them both though lol. It sure wouldn't hurt to have two.

6. fuzzface71

good decision ;)

7. soapbladder

soapbladder Member

For whatever its worth, I use the sunface through a PRRI, and it's aces.

SB

8. fuzzface71

LOve the PRRI too!

9. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

This has been debated over and over again here so I bet you'll find a lot of good info if you do a search.

Anyway, I'll say this...if you want to really compare and bring price into it put the MJM up against the Standard (NON NKT275) Sunface...The MJM Ge Fuzzes I've seen never use the NKT275 trannys, they use some older US made trannys and some of them use the same older Japanese made trannys that you'll often find if a Fulltone 69 pedal. FWIW, these are also the same thing Mike uses in the "standard" Sunface pedals. The NKT's are an "upgrade"

FWIW, I have 2 NKT275 Sunface fuzzes from AM and they are just killer...nothing I've tried beats them...and I've tried lots!

10. Neptune1

Neptune1 Member

I've got the GE London and the Analog Man NKT Mod on my Dunlop FF and they're both fantastic. Like most say, the MJM has more gain/fuzz and the AM is cleaner but also a big fatter in my opinion. To me the AM is more Cream era Clapton and the MJM more Are You Experienced/ Axis Bold As Love Hendrix.

11. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

I'd say that's a good comparison. To the OP i'd say get both! I did and don't regret either purchase. When I want something more polite and phat, I go Analogman NKT. When I want Hendrixy, spitty and gained out, I go MJM. Analogman also offers his high gain NKT version, so that's always an option if the standard NKT doesn't cut it for you.

12. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

This comparison assumes that NKT=better tone. Not necessarily true depending on differences in each pedals circuit and what you're trying to accomplish in your music. The standard (Non NKT) Analogman doesn't sound like an MJM.

13. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Im not saying one is better than the other at all...just trying to make the comparison more fair in terms of price since the OP mentions the price difference.

14. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Me too :AOK

15. Neptune1

Neptune1 Member

You can't go wrong with either, it just depends on what you're looking for. I searched and searched and these are the two best makers of FF clones in my opinion.

16. MGuts

MGuts Member

Sounds good. From what I've looked at, I came to the same conclusion. I am actually going to wait to get one though becuase I'm getting ready to buy a Matchless Clubman, so I figured the pedal (whichever one I choose) might respond differently to the Clubman than the amp I have now.