Analog man tubescreamer question..

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SteveGaines, Feb 6, 2008.

1. SteveGaines

SteveGaines Member

Just bought the Analog man "silver mod" Maxon tubescreamer....I use a Marshall JCM 800 50 watt that Dan Torres modified for me...I use a OCD 3 for crunchy rhythms...and a Flying Dragon by Lizard Leg effects for a "clean boost"...I HAD to have an Analog man "silver mod" tube screamer...So far...I have fooled with it...And just want it to add a "little Umph" to my solo's or just a "little something to my signal....I have tried turning the drive almost off...running the tone at around 12 o'clock and the volume around 1'oclock..but I am MISSING something...I have seen too many "old school" guitar players who stuck a tubescreamer in front on a marshall and it sounded Killer...any suggestions and HOW TO SET IT....I run it AFTER the OCD...Seems like with an OCD, An Analogman Tubescreamer and "The Flying Dragon" I could get ALL kinds of different combinations....And suggestions on what I might me doing wrong...Just got my Prescription Univibe in.. and with this Analogman tubescreamer and my Marshall, and my strat...Along with my Clyde wah... I should be right on "Day of the Eagle"......what's the key to the tube screamer?.. I know I am doing SOMETHING wrong...Too many people swear by the Analogman tubescreamers.....Thanks all you cats who respond!..

2. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

You asked if you did something wrong 3 times, but never once mentioned what the TS isn't doing for you. What type of tone are you expecting from the TS out of the Marshall and Strat?

With the drive almost off, you're pretty much taking some key characteristics away from the TS. Why not try and balance the drive and volume to a point where it's getting closer to what you expected. By taking the drive to almost off, you might have just gotten a clean boost.

3. SteveGaines

SteveGaines Member

Usually a tuner, a chorus and a boost.......I want my more sustain and more "umph"...So Do I need to CRANK up the drive ?....I know you need to play with these things...But too many "old school" players out there should be able to give some advice on how to get that pedal to help me get that "Hendrix/Trower" sound...and too many players use these with Les Pauls in front of a Marshall to get those classic rock sounds...

4. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

start with the gain at noon. . . you can go in either direction then. . . and be sure to set the volume for UNITY. that is a great start with that pedal. i also used the tone at around 11. . . . if you are boosting an ocd, then the gain at noon might be too much. . . work backwards from there then. . .

greatest screamer i've ever played. you should open her up and look at the SIZE of some of them caps. . . holy COW! batman!

5. SteveGaines

SteveGaines Member

I have NEVER used alot of pedals before...And I KNOW that there are TOO many old school players who use a "Tube Screamer" in front of a Marshall...So I will TAKE your advice...Thanks, very much...

6. spentron

spentron Member

The gain control is also partially a tone control.