• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Analog meets digital EQ

mbenigni

$4,800 for Kickstarter-ware? Too rich for my blood. I guess the $80 pick should have clued me in. :eek:

ShaunOsovs

Looks interesting. Seems similar to what Quilter is doing, but with a tube preamp...sort of like what Orange is doing with their Micro series.

mbenigni

The guy in the video has a different definition of "very affordable" than me... Yikes!
Now I'm wondering if there's some sort of currency/ exchange rate confusion happening here. KSL says $600+ in the OP, but as I read it on the Kickstarter page, that might get you a pick and a footcontroller... depending on shipping and handling LOL.

KSL

Looks interesting. Seems similar to what Quilter is doing, but with a tube preamp...sort of like what Orange is doing with their Micro series.
That's the concept. The amp's designer is a bass player and was wondering why there are light bass amps but not guitar amps. So he painstakingly set out to design one, I mean he really nailed the minute details of what makes a great guitar amp sound.

The amp offers lots of flexibility and even includes a knob to rebias the tubes on the back. Most unique thing is he worked on his own cab sims that sounded pretty damn good. He explained to me in depth about his process in nailing both the amp and cab response and tone but I'm not sure I can share them :)

KSL

Oh the designer/engineer fixes studio gear (Mics, consoles, preamps, amps) for the major recording studios in HK. He singlehandedly design and built this, that's impressive as hell!

djd100

Still needs a Torpedo or Amplifire for tube power amp sims (impedance curve, additional compression etc).

KSL

Still needs a Torpedo or Amplifire for tube power amp sims (impedance curve, additional compression etc).
It actually has 3 built in selectable cab sims that are not just mere IRs. He basically figured out his own way to do his cab sims that basically address the issue of most sims not having the punch and impact of a real cab (he told me how and it is more than mere added bass response.)

The amp also features a built in comp, boost, focus switch, depth switch, and gate. The amp can basically be dialed in to achieve most tone and feel you want analogly.

It sounded too good to be true to me at first until I went and tried the amp in person. I currently own the Axe fx, amplifire, and Kemper so I have a pretty good guage and basis for my evaluation. I am truly impressed by this unit especially at such a low price point.

Additionally, there is no computer or programming needed to operate the amp. Just use it like a regular amp head.

djd100

Sorry, none of those features function as a "tube power amp", or sim. In a traditional tube amp the power section is a critical component (along with the preamp and cab/speaker etc).

I've got a number of custom tube preamps and a Axe FX for FX, and the preamps alone are not nearly as effective in mimicking a traditional tube amp as the preamps into a Torpedo CAB for tube power amp sims (through any output, DI'd, FRFR, or Guitar Cab).

That's not to say that your thing can't make good tones without a tube power amp or sim, just that it's not making tones that mimic a traditional tube amp. This will sound more like a hybrid amp, i.e. a tube preamp and a solid state power amp.

Thank you everyone who are interested in GA1.1,

Yes, this is a hybrid amp, tube preamp + solid state power, however, we added a DSP between these stages, so we can simulate a tube power stage and make the class D power amp actually sounds like a tube power section. We compared with 5150 block letter, and 5150III side by side with the same Mesa cab. I'd say the tone and feel of this amp is very very close to tradition full tube amps.

FYI, please see the following youtube video, (please turn on English captions)

Again, thank you very much!

Last edited:

darkinners

I am not sponsored nor have business affiliation to the creator and his team
but the creator is my friend and I tested the amp throughout the creation progress.

This is one of the best guitar amp you can buy, extremely versatile.

Reactions: KSL

TimeSnow

Thank you everyone who are interested in GA1.1,

Yes, this is a hybrid amp, tube preamp + solid state power, however, we added a DSP between these stages, so we can simulate a tube power stage and make the class D power amp actually sounds like a tube power section. We compared with 5150 block letter, and 5150III side by side with the same Mesa cab. I'd say the tone and feel of this amp is very very close to tradition full tube amps.

FYI, please see the following youtube video, (please turn on English captions)

Again, thank you very much!
Seems very cool... Then again I can listen to Cantonese all day.

Chris@TGP

Hi Headache Sound,

the Demo sounds great for hardcore metal and more extreme metal styles.
Even though I backed, I'm not entirely sold on its versatility yet.

Can your amp do more 80/90s metal as well? Like 80s or 90s NWOBHM Marshall distortion tones?

Maybe post a sample or video if it can! :)

darkinners

Hi Headache Sound,

the Demo sounds great for hardcore metal and more extreme metal styles.
Even though I backed, I'm not entirely sold on its versatility yet.

Can your amp do more 80/90s metal as well? Like 80s or 90s NWOBHM Marshall distortion tones?

Maybe post a sample or video if it can! :)
Channel 2 not exactly Marshallish(at least to my ear)
But it can nail the NWOBHM tone just fine, just not in the way of JCM800

I am sure Banny(the creator) will post more demo on different channel and setting soon.

Reactions: KSL

Trending Topics

Top Bottom