Analog Octave Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by beastly, Dec 24, 2019.

1. beastly

beastly Member

Long-time Octron user. And there’s really nothing I don’t like about it. But I sold it anyways because I’ve wanted either;

a) Octron 3. Easiest solution, obviously. Leaves me room for another pedal too, maybe.

b) I’ve had a long fascination with the Mu-tron Octavider. I like the Bass Only button. But there are few demos, even fewer that tell me what I need to know. And it’s expensive. And I once read “less aggressive” than an Octron, which was not what I wanted to hear since it’s going to be running through a Muff 99% of the time. So comments on this one are appreciated.

Anyone play both?

Anything new I might be missing out on?

johnetone likes this.
  2. Big in Japan

Big in Japan Member

I was really disappointed by the Octron 3. I was hearing everywhere that it's the best tracking analog octave down available. But my old Arion MOC-1 (that I sold to partially fund the purchase of the Octron) tracked much better. I even tried running the Octron at 18 volts. The octave up is incredible on the Octron 3. But I've got a Green Ringer clone that I really like too. I'm currently on the hunt for a Boss OC-2 to pair with the Ringer.

I have no experience with the Octavider. Best of luck to you.

3. johnetone

johnetone Member

18V only helps with headroom (not tracking)

what didnt you like about the Arion that made you decide to sell it to fund the Octron?

Big in Japan likes this.
  4. Big in Japan

Big in Japan Member

I loved the Arion. I used it for almost 15 years. The tracking was really good; but the Octron 3 gets such rave reviews that I confidently assumed that I was upgrading. The Octron is a really cool pedal and a much better quality build than the Arion; but the sub-octave tracking is the most important feature of an analog octave pedal for me. That old plastic Arion could sustain low notes a lot longer without going glitchy than my Octron 3 does. Even if the Octron 3 had been only equally as good tracking as the MOC-1, it would have been a big win, because the Octron is so much more gig-worthy and has a great Octave up.

I'm going to try a Boss OC-2 next. If that doesn't work out, I'll go back and buy another MOC-1. They're so good for the price. I just want something a little heavier duty on my pedalboard.

Windup 43, johnetone and monty like this.
  5. Sonic_Samurai

Sonic_Samurai Member

I use the Vivider by Salvation Audio - a compact analog clone of the Mu-Tron Octavivder. Sounds massive, tracks amazingly and the Bass octave and Green Ringer circuit can be dialed in separately to taste. Melds incredibly well with distortion / fuzz e.g Muff, and with the stability switch engaged it can easily track power chords too.

Echoplexi and johnetone like this.
  6. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

I haven’t found anything better than the Octron (1,2 & 3) and have had one since they came out. You can put it after fuzz or after comp and tracking stays near perfect.

Sonic_Samurai and johnetone like this.
  7. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Supporting Member

Just trying out the T-Rex Quint pedal. Not convinced yet, by far. Luckily in trial period

8. johnetone

johnetone Member

I use the Octron 2 and really enjoy it. But the 3 i played through at my friend’s house sounded identically awesome! It’s really nice to have those switches on the front for tone shaping.

But the perfect version for me would be one that has two of the 4-footswitches that’s the big one has. I would want a bypass button and a dry kill button.

9. beastly

beastly Member

Any experience with an Octron for comparison?

also re: power chords, isn’t it still monophonic? How does it do that?

10. HughesP

HughesP Member

Since you plan to pair it with fuzz, you should check out EQD bit commander. It does -2,-1 and +1 octaves, all analog, and fuzzes up each voice as well as the base tone. I really like mine, and it allowed me to use just 1 pedal instead of 2.

11. Sonic_Samurai

Sonic_Samurai Member

I briefly tried an Octron 3 a few years ago and it was awesome too - I just prefer the slightly smaller 1590b size enclosure of the Vivider, and the adjustable Green Ringer circuit and tone control.

Yes the Vivider is technically monophonic...but seems to have no problems tracking two note chords like 5ths. With the Stab switch engaged and a little help from a compressor pedal feeding it, the tracking of both notes is solid! Compressor -> Vivider -> Phase 90 -> Distortion / Fuzz = massive tone for riffage! :dude

beastly likes this.
  12. Purple_Plexi

Purple_Plexi Member

johnetone likes this.
  13. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I haven’t loved any of the Octrons, I’ve always preferred the old OC-2’s also.

14. Sexpistol

Sexpistol Member

Check out the mxr slash octave fuzz,. Very tweakable and sounds and tracks great.

johnetone likes this.
  15. Flouncingfleasbag

Flouncingfleasbag Member

Anyone hoping the Boss OC- 2 tracks better than the Octron will be disappointed. OC-2 is also very muffled on the down settings. Octron is much better. I have both the Boss OC-2 and the Octron .

To the OP- why not consider digital? There are many good options, and if you are running it thru a muff, I dont think you'll hear a difference.

hippieboy and johnetone like this.
  16. Dave Fox

Dave Fox Senior Pedalmaker

Here's an impromptu video I made a few years ago to talk about low octave tracking on Octron2 (same as original Octron and Octron3).

17. beastly

beastly Member

It’s not that I haven’t considered digital, just that they feel and sound a bit different to me. I’d love to love a POG, for example, but I just don’t think they sound as Velcro-ey with the fuzz as a Multiplexer, Octron, Oc-2, etc. Although, if there’s something new out there that I haven’t heard I’m all ears.

Still leaning Octron 3 though unless some sparkly new Octavider demo drops or Strymon do a pitch shifter tease for New Years...

PS: Mu-tron; your Octavider is like $400Cdn and there’s just a super cavernous demo that almost seems like it was shot seventeen years ago and just sat on of a dude going “bomp bomp bomp”? And then Dave Fox shows up in your thread and you remember why you liked Foxrox in the first place.

johnetone likes this.
  18. Baskervils

Baskervils Member

I have gotten into octave pedals this year, thanks partially to some of the JHS videos and my love of the DBA Octave Clang.

I actually prefer some of the pedals that are stranger, slightly glitchy and funky. Between the Ibanez OT10 Octave, Death By Audio Octave Clang, Colorsound Octivider and the Pearl Octave, I have spent the most time with the Ibanez Octave and Death By Audio Octave Clang. They both have a cool nasally quality that are great for sound sculpting. I love those two. I hope DBA comes out with a new version of the Octave Clang, which is supposedly their version of the Octavia. I have never tried an actual Octavia.

I need to spend more time with the Colorsound and the Pearl. The Pearl is the most straightforward of the bunch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AXXA and johnetone like this.
  19. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

the OC2 is glitchy, it has a nice glitchy sound though, that's why some people like it, I had it and really liked it, but it is glitchy.

beastly and Big in Japan like this.
  20. amitsnyderman

amitsnyderman Member