Analog or analog sounding delay pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brewbaker, Feb 15, 2008.

1. brewbaker

brewbaker Supporting Member

Looking for something to use with my practice amp when I don't want to lug my pedalboard. Don't want to spend a fortune though. What's out there that's good?

I use a DL4 on my board and most of the time I use the analog models so I figured it'd be cool to get something analog or at least with that warm sound.

Thanks!

2. Birddog

Birddog Member

Ibanez DE-7. I have two of them. You can set them for "Delay" or "Echo". The echo has very nice, analog sounding repeats. Excellent, well-built pedal, and cheap.

3. Twin63

Twin63 Member

I really like the Visual Sound H2O that I picked up a few weeks ago. The delay side is described by them as an analog/digital hybrid - nice and warm sounding to me. Max delay time is around 800ms.

As a bonus, you get a very nice analog chorus in the same box. They seem to be running around $100-$120 used.

4. brewbaker

brewbaker Supporting Member

How about the Akai HeadRush? Any users out there? I realize it's more sophisticated than a simple dely pedal but the looping feature appeals to me for laying down comping to practice over. Used they don't seem too expensive, new they're $200.

5. cmloeffler

cmloeffler Member

I'm very surprised to say this, but I found the Headrush to be a little uninspiring as a delay (although it is a cool looper). I tend to look for two different things in delay... soft, echo like delays and harder, rhythmic delays that sit on their own in the mix. The two are essentially mutually exclusive. My favorite "soft" delay is either the Analogman AR20DL or the Maxon AD-900. For a hard delay, I've used a Maxon AD-9Pro (which is a great, hi-fi analog pedal), a Boss DD2/3, and an EHX SMMH. I'm currently using the Analogman in conjunction with the SMMH; the Analogman for sot delays on lead tones or ambient back ground, and the SMMH for rhythmic delays, reverse delays, and wackiness.

6. drod2045

drod2045 Member

so the tape sounds arent warm from the akai? never heard of that one ebfore and it looks very interesting to say the least

7. pennylink

pennylink Member

I use a Keeley modded Ibanez AD9 that I'm really happy with. Very organic, doesn't suck your tone and has true bypass. It does not offer long delays, but it's perfect for adding ambience or some "Gilmour" flavor.

8. cmloeffler

cmloeffler Member

They're not horrible... just very bland. There are much better tape echo simulators out there.

9. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

Truly Great analog sounding digital delay, small box, inexpensive ($135 from the maker)...Cmatmods Deelay...you won't be sorry.

10. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I had a Headrush E2 and didn'nt like the delay sound at all. Try a Maxon AD9 Pro.

[​IMG]

11. bostonwal

bostonwal Member

"Cheap" to me would be around $50 and from what I've read in similar posts, I plan to get a DE-7 when I need a cheap delay.

12. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i have an analog Ibanez AD-9 that i got for pretty cheap (around $80 used). I just use simple slap-back delay and it works great for that and shorter delay times.